Uncollected runs or storylines

Many times we've heard it proclaimed: this is the Golden Age of Reprints. I'm not going to argue that; far from it. We've come a long way since the late 1970's when I began reading comics, even a lot way from the dawn of Marvel Masterworks and DC Archives, and their black and white cousins Essentials and Showcase Presents. Most of what is published in monthly form gets the trade paperback treatment, although how quickly varies by company. The Golden Age and the Silver Age are well represented, in an ever increasing variety of collections. But I'm greedy. I want more. And I'm curious what remains uncollected that Legionnaires would like to see. Personally, I can think of two right off the top of my head: Panther's Rage, the 9 part serial from the 70's, starring the Black Panther, which took place in Jungle Action, and a general one: there is so much good Batman stuff from the 70's and 80's that is not collected anywhere, and is ridiculously (imo, ymmv) overpriced on ebay and in the back issue bins, that I wish DC would start a Chronicles series for both the Detective and Batman series. It's going to take years, literally, for Showcase Presents to catch up to this era. I would love to have a collection of the Len Wein issues (Batman 307-325), the Marv Wolfman run (Batman 326-336), the Gerry Conway era (Batman 337-359, crossing over into the Detective issues of the same months), and the Doug Moench era (Batman 360-400, and like Conway, a story that began in an issue of Batman would continue into that month's Detective); unfortunately, the back issue prices I've seen for these are generally $10 an issue or more, more than I am willing to pay. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a rant about expensive Batman back issues, back to the uncollected storylines and / or runs, what would you like to see?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos
    I'd love to see Hitman finished off.
    Inferior Five
    'Mazing Man

That's just a few. I'm sure I'll have more to add.
  • A big one for me is the early 1980s Ka-Zar book. It was pretty popular at the time, and is probably the best-written book of the era. Unfortunately, it's largely forgotten and nobody's done anything worth reading with the character for years, so I doubt that it's a viable money-maker. Too bad the X-Men didn't guest.

I'd also like to see Marvel's Godzilla in color, and collections of the Uncanny X-Men moving forward towards issue #200 (I've been waiting for years to see the original Brood storyline in trade form; seriously, how does this not exist yet????).

Also licensed books, but I imagine that most are more trouble than they're worth. Too bad, Micronauts, Shogun Warriors, Logan's Run, ROM, etc. And as much as I despise the Essential line ("essential garbage" is more like it) an "Essential Marvel 1970s" tome would make sense, collecting stuff like Giant-Man and Omega.

Addendum: Suicide Squad!
  • Hmmm... DC's never collected The Atlantis Chronicles, have they?

I also wouldn't mind seeing a collection of the Sam Kieth Wolverine stuff that ran in Marvel Comics Presents in the late '80s/early '90s (was there enough of that to fill a trade, or was it mostly Kieth imitators?).
  • I'd like to see "The Search for Mera" from Aquaman (and I know that one's at least being considered), as well as Wonder Woman's "Trials" to regain membership in the JLA.
  • I would like to see them start collecting the '70's Batman as well. We're getting close with Dynamic Duo Archives, which had 2 volumes but the 2nd came out in 2006 so is that it? These Archives collected Batman 164-171 and Detective Comics 327-339. Certainly Batman and Robin were together for longer than that!

Everything else I found is a collection by artist; Jim Aparo, Don Newton, Neal Adams, Gene Colan. That's great and all but I'd like to have consecutive issue runs of Batman and Detective and the Archives seem to be the best platform.

Like John said, the issues themselves are very pricey so a collection would be the best bet.

• They might get around to the '80's Ka-Zar series. I have the whole run. Great book!

I believe Marvel Masterworks is working toward Uncanny X-Men #200. I believe they are up to #140.

They did give Ostrander's Suicide Squad a TPB but only lasted 1 volume. DC said it didn't sell enough. Too bad. I want more!

Mr. Satanism said:

A big one for me is the early 1980s Ka-Zar book. It was pretty popular at the time, and is probably the best-written book of the era. Unfortunately, it's largely forgotten and nobody's done anything worth reading with the character for years, so I doubt that it's a viable money-maker. Too bad the X-Men didn't guest.

I'd also like to see Marvel's Godzilla in color, and collections of the Uncanny X-Men moving forward towards issue #200 (I've been waiting for years to see the original Brood storyline in trade form; seriously, how does this not exist yet????).

Also licensed books, but I imagine that most are more trouble than they're worth. Too bad, Micronauts, Shogun Warriors, Logan's Run, ROM, etc. And as much as I despise the Essential line ("essential garbage" is more like it) an "Essential Marvel 1970s" tome would make sense, collecting stuff like Giant-Man and Omega.

Addendum: Suicide Squad!
  • Aquaman only has 1 volume of Archives. I would like to see more and hopefully more are on the way. I know there's plenty of Aquaman in B & W in the Showcase Presents format. :(

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I'd like to see "The Search for Mera" from Aquaman (and I know that one's at least being considered), as well as Wonder Woman's "Trials" to regain membership in the JLA.
  • I must have missed this thread the first time around.

John, I completely agree with you regarding late '70s/early '80s Batman. The Len Wein issues are $10 a piece as back issues, showing that the interest is definitely there. Come on, DC, put out a 1-2 trade set of the Wein run. If those do as well as I think they will, move on to the Wolfmans, conways and so on.

That reminds me of another missed opportunity: the Roger Stern Spider-Mans. Marvel came out with one volume but never followed through with a second.

As to some of the other suggestions:

Alan, Marvel has collected the Kieth Wolverine story in a trade. It's called Blood Hungry.

And Jeff, your wish was granted: DC came out with a twelve labors of WOnder Woman trade.
  • When DC finally collected Flex Mentallo recently they published the last reprint I would be likely to buy. But there are still significant gaps in the Vertigo catalog that I'd like to see available. Sandman Mystery Theatre has now had 8 collections, but there are still 18 issues left in the run. And the entire Paul Jenkins era of Hellblazer remains uncollected, despite his relatively high profile in the years since. It's not my favorite Hellblazer run, but there were plenty of good issues. Finally, I love Steven T. Seagle & Teddy Kristiansen's House of Secrets, which never got collected beyond the first five issues.

• John, I'm sure you're aware that Panther's Rage has been collected in Essential Black Panther, correct?

This reply was deleted.