There hasn't been much said about the Vertigo line while DC has been busy relaunching the DCU. But it clearly is going to be offering a reduced release schedule: my first clue was seeing that both of Brian Wood's ongoing titles (DMZ and Northlanders) will be ending this year, with no replacements announced, by Wood or anyone else. He has recently given several interviews about the situation, and I thought the CBR one was especially illuminating.

Here's the big quote:

"It's the end of one era, I suppose, where I was doing all this work for Vertigo and not only earning a living but having that as a career -- being a Vertigo writer as a career. I think the condition of the comics market these days, combined with all the recent changes at DC, I don't think that exists anymore as an option for anyone. Well, certainly not for me. Vertigo's output, as publicly stated by DC, is to be reduced, and I cannot expect to be able to write two plus books for them."

Reading between the lines, I see Vertigo dramatically reducing the role of ongoing series, focusing on miniseries and OGNs instead. It's hard to argue with this as a business decision, given the fatality rate of recent Vertigo ongoing series. There have always been cycles in Vertigo's output, but it's never been so hard to build an audience for just about any new ongoing. Fables continues to roll along--it's little wonder that several spin-offs have hung on its coattails--and Hellblazer continues to have a small but solid base.

As a devoted Vertigo reader, I'm in favor of the line maintaining viability. My pocketbook will actually appreciate a smaller flow of new material, even though it means I'll need to find other things to read. I'm still catching up on the trade collections I couldn't buy while unemployed for the better part of a year. I find it ironic that I'm now looking at the possible end of my regular Vertigo buying (or at least a dramatic reduction) as several of the current ongoing series end. I've already come to rely on the library for Fables and most of the OGNs.

The thing that saddens me the most is the potential future new work we will miss under this scenario. If Vertigo had not existed, would series like Y: The Last Man and Fables have ever come into being?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I dunno. I see it as perhaps Vertigo trying to be more selective in their offerings, so as to better focus marketing.

There have been some awful-selling titles during Vertigo's long history, and we may just be looking at a "rebuilding season" for them.

At least, I hope that's what's going on!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

• I really hope you're right, Dags. But if being selective means cutting out one of their most prominent creators--whose work I consistently enjoy--I just hope they've got some really mind-boggling stuff planned to make up for it. Do you think Wood was an under-performer for them?

Dagwan said:

I dunno. I see it as perhaps Vertigo trying to be more selective in their offerings, so as to better focus marketing.

There have been some awful-selling titles during Vertigo's long history, and we may just be looking at a "rebuilding season" for them.

At least, I hope that's what's going on!

• To me it did always seem his ongoing titles at Vertigo were consistently on the low end even for them, now the trades may have done gang busters.

Also it looks like one of his new gigs will be writing Wolverine for marvel

• Mark Sullivan said:
    Do you think Wood was an under-performer for them?

Yeah. As much as I love Northlanders, and Demo vol. 2, his stuff sells in the 2-6 copy range. Even the TPs are not really moving any great numbers here anymore.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

This reply was deleted.