Anyone else remember the " Virus X " story that took up a number of issues of ACTION COMICS in tha late 60s ?

I don't believe its ever been reprinted , at all .

Maybe http://www.superman.nu ?

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was going to say, maybe it hasn't been reprinted because it wasn't very good, but then I remembered DC has collected four -- count 'em -- four SP volumes of Silver Age Wonder Woman stories, so that theory doesn't really work.

More to the point, why would you ask a group of Silver Age fans if they remember a long storyline from one of the best-known, highest circ titles of the 1960s? Surely, our brains haven't atrophied that much yet. Just because something hasn't been reprinted doesn't mean we don't remember it. I dare say, some of us even admit to remembering Prince Ra-Man.

Needless to say, I remember it well. It started out in a different direction, with a guy hypnotizing Clark so he would kill Superman, and he then exposed himself to Virus X. It began in #362 and went through #365. I even remember how it ended off the top of my head!

I actually named it the #1 Best Continued Story in Action Comics during the Silver Age back in CBG #1528 (February 28, 2003), so I may have a better opinion of it than Dave alludes to having.

Yes, I did two columns on the Top 10 best continued stories in Action Comics from the Silver Age for CBG. When you've gotta have a topic every week, you come up with some off-the-wall ones.

-- MSA

...Thank you both ! :-)

Yes , yes , aside from my being hurried at the time , taking up a rhetorical position of " innocence " is simply a rhetorical place to jump off from .

If Mr. Literalman (  Isn't that a character in Wioly Miller's NON SEQUITUR ? ) was to jump back to me at the keybord , yesterday...

I recall the " Superman In The Sixties ' book saying that it was too long to reprint ( Only 60 pages or so . :-( )...Perhaps it could be combined with the Zha-Vam stories and the " Superman's Nemisis and his J.D. Son " storylines..." The Super-Human Bomb " ? The first Parasite story ? ( I suppose that that one's been reprinted . ) I better check myself before I wreck...

Dave Blanchard said:

I was going to say, maybe it hasn't been reprinted because it wasn't very good, but then I remembered DC has collected four -- count 'em -- four SP volumes of Silver Age Wonder Woman stories, so that theory doesn't really work.

...To fill this out , Dave , it was a way of me phrasing a question designed to get some information .

Ricky Nelson once sang " it's a young world " ( And " Congratulations for breaking my heart " , too , but anyway...) .

Was my method of posing a question too " young " ? " Assumed innocence , I guess , as I said...........

More to the point, why would you ask a group of Silver Age fans if they remember a long storyline from one of the best-known, highest circ titles of the 1960s? Surely, our brains haven't atrophied that much yet. Just because something hasn't been reprinted doesn't mean we don't remember it. I dare say, some of us even admit to remembering Prince Ra-Man.

aside from my being hurried at the time , taking up a rhetorical position of " innocence " is simply a rhetorical place to jump off from.

It's never that good of an idea to start a new thread when you're hurried or to post a rhetorical question. Live and learn.

Ideally, the SP: Superman will get to those stories sooner rather than later, but as Dave noted in the SP thread, those seem to have slowed for some reason.

A lot of those stories are well worth reprinting. I don't know that there's a theme that runs through Mr. Vam and Virus X to make them worthy of a separate 4c reprint. However, my list of The Top Ten Best Continued Action Comics Stories is available if DC would like to create a collection. That would be a great collection, IMHO.

-- MSA

...It wasn't a rhetorical question , and neither you nor Dave provided a rhetorical answer , I asked if it had been reprinted and youse guys/y'all said " non " .

What's " rhetorical " about that ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Dave was , seemingly , annoyed just because of the language I used to introduce my question , to which I said...

Honestly , I don't think saying " Anyone else remember..." as a way to introduce a question is that exotic !!!

Psheee...

I read these stories after the fact and probably not in order. What I took out of it was giving Superman a new weakness in the late sixties like when they introduced Q-energy in the early seventies.
Walter or Emerkeith or whatever you're calling yourself this week, there'll never be anyone else but you, and this everlovin' post is written specifically for you. I got a feeling that you were overcome by young emotions when you asked your question, and hey, it's late in the Silver Age when that ACTION sequence ran, so don't feel like a poor little fool that you didn't remember it being reprinted. I think sometimes you overreact just a little too much at some of our own comments around here, but I believe what you say about your rhetorical question. While most of those 1960s ACTIONs were mighty good, I'm not afraid to tell you that Virus X storyline left me feeling stood up at the spinner rack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service