This began as a question about if Firestorm was the first superhuman to merge multiple people into one physical body, but now I'm turning it into a list. 

* I'm not counting things like combining mechs as the driver's bodies did not become one.

The list so far:

3-D Man

Agent Axis

Alloy

Brother Voodoo

Captain Marvel (Genis-Vell)

Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell)
Captain Triumph

Death's Head

Deadman
Dr. Double X
Dr. Occult

Ego
Fighting American
Firestorm

Gemini (Zodiac) 

Infinite Man

Overmind

Piccolo(DragonBall Z) 

Rebis

Starchild(Peter Wrexham) 
Starhawk

Vanguard

Ultra the Multi-Alien

I'll also be creating a list of characters who split into multiple bodies. That list is here

Views: 470

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nope, no combining mechs. I said so in the initial post. 

JD DeLuzio said:

What about merging Mechs, like Voltron?

Adding Piccolo (DragonBall Z). Over time, he's merged with two others to gain power upgrades. 

The original question as to whether Firestorm was the first superhuman to merge multiple people into one body has been answered in the negative, with a number of earlier examples.  I'll add another one, the Starchild, who appeared in the late sixties, about a decade before Firestorm first showed up in 1978.

You don't remember Starchild?  It was in a science fiction comic, where an interstellar survey vessel was destroyed by a stellar flare that merged the 169 members of the crew into a single superhuman form, which makes Firestorm's merging of a meagre two look distinctly inadequate.  Still don't remember the character?  Well, that may be because they only made a single appearance, but it's more probably because I created them in my late teens, when I and a couple of friends were writing and drawing our own super-hero comics.

Here's the character's origin appearance:

Two pages of Peter Wrexham original art? Way cool!

Added Star child. 

Randy Jackson said:

Added Star child. 

Seriously?  Seriously??

Wow.  I'm... overwhelmed!  Also very honoured to feature on one of Randy's lists.

Thank you!

Unless I missed it, how about the Eternals forming the Overmind?

Robby Reed occasionally dialed H for Hero into multiple characters (e.g., Castor and Pollux, Whozis and Whatzis and Wherezis, Chief Mighty Wing and Wingy)

If you're counting Kingdom Come, the Metal Men combined to form Alloy.

I reckon Deadman combined with a LOT of people.

Lord Cumulus and Prince Chaos combined to form Ego (a female!)

In John Byrne's Next Men, Vanguard was composed of a brother and sister - I don't know if their names were ever given,

I'll advise if I think of any others.

I remain,

Sincerely,

Eric L. Sofer

The Silver Age Fogey

x<]:o){

Vanguard's exact nature hasn't been clarified far as I know.  The composite form alternated between male and female aspects, but assured people that it was "still Vanguard" in either form.

In any case, he and his team made appearances beyond Next Men and adjacent books, most notably in the dangling cliffhanger from his Triple Helix series (which follows directly from another series, "Trio").

Sounds like Robby Reed belongs on the list of characters who split. The others are good and will be added. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"I'm terribly sorry for your family's loss, Commander. I wish you all the best."
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"Over the extended Thanksgiving holiday weekend, the adults (three couples) usually…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion Does anyone have James Bond DVDs or Blu-rays?
"A good James Bond trivia question is "What is the only movie in which James Bond sings"?…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Words fail me, my friend. Please accept my and Tracy's deepest and most sincere condolences,…"
4 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"@Peter - I have the same problem; 8 covers left and only 4 days to go. So, 2 a day from me till…"
7 hours ago
The Baron replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"My condolences to you and Cheryl, and Rick's other family and friends, sir."
7 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Commander, I have never had a son or an actual brother, but you, your son and all veterans are my…"
8 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I don't think anyone has posted this one. It was my introduction to Strangers in Paradise and…"
9 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"A wonderfully eloquent epitaph. My deepest condolences to you, Commander, and to Cheryl."
10 hours ago
Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Such heartbreaking news! I am sorry for the family's grief. But you wrote about it beautifully…"
11 hours ago
Eric L. Sofer replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Commander, I hope that the sorrow passes quickly, to be replaced by the love and honor and warm…"
11 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"My sincerest condolences to you, your wife and family, Commander. Be strong and remember the love.…"
11 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service