Was there any other character besides Captain Marvel that activated their powers with a word?

I know there was Johnny Thunder and in the tv show Isis, but are there other characters who had to say a word to transform?

Views: 1056

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fawcett's Ibis the Invincible had to verbally order the Ibistick to do things.

That just sounds so wrong. 

Luke Blanchard said:

Captain Thunder from Superman #276 said "Thunder" as he rubbed his magic belt buckle.

I found finding a further Golden Age hero much harder than I expected, but I finally found one at Toonopedia: Golden Lad from Spark Publications, who transformed by saying "Heart of Gold".

Also, via the same source, Wiggles the Wonderworm. His magic word was "Omygosh!" And also via Toonopedia, from the start of the 80s and TV, The Drak Pack.

Commander Benson said:

Clearly, that establishes the fact that Green Lantern doesn't have to speak his oath for his ring to charge.

In addition, there's the fact that different Green Lanterns had different oaths, with several of them using the "In brightest day" version (allegedly in honour of Hal Jordan).  The specific wording of the oath cannot be required to make the charging work, unless you assume that the Guardians fitted each ring with its own piece of doggerel, and changed it whenever a GL requested it.

I like the idea that the oath is a password for use of the ring - each ring comes with a default oath, which the user must immediately change (preferably to something involving upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters) - but there's no evidence for it, and lots against! 

But even if we go with the oath-as-a-timing-device idea (which I kind of like, too), it doesn't make saying the oath necessary to recharge the power ring; it's just a handy mechanism that's an alternative to G.L. looking at his wristwatch while he recharges.

This also explains the incident in JLA 128 that Luke Blanchard mentioned..  The ring doesn't run out of power because the oath was incomplete, but because it wasn't held to the power battery for long enough.

According to panels reproduced on this page the Jaguar from Archie's Adventures of the Jaguar changed into his superhero form by exposing his Jaguar Belt and saying "the Jaguar", and back to his civilian self by saying his real name. The title was a companion Archie Adventure Series title for [Adventures of] the Fly, which had been running about two years when it debuted.

(The latter title's original companion was The Double Life of Private Strong starring the second Shield, which according to DC indexes preceded it onto the stands. But it only ran two issues, reportedly because of a legal threat from DC.)

...Waqsn't it in fact MARVEL who got on Private Strong for its being so obviously similar to Captain America ~ and done by Joe Simon (or Simon & Kirby , I'll check) ~ likely influencing them ?????

( No , they didn't get on Fighting American , perhaps the lack of the additional similarity of being a transforming US Army member kept them away ?)

Luke Blanchard said:

According to panels reproduced on this page the Jaguar from Archie's Adventures of the Jaguar changed into his superhero form by exposing his Jaguar Belt and saying "the Jaguar", and back to his civilian self by saying his real name. The title was a companion Archie Adventure Series title for [Adventures of] the Fly, which had been running about two years when it debuted.

(The latter title's original companion was The Double Life of Private Strong starring the second Shield, which according to DC indexes preceded it onto the stands. But it only ran two issues, reportedly because of a legal threat from DC.)

Marvel wasn't publishing Captain America, or any superhero comics, at the time; the issues appeared in 1959.

My source for the claim is Toonopedia's article, but Mr Markstein wasn't infallible. I've always been mystified how DC could have claimed the Shield was too much like Superman, but I think I've just figured it out. The cover of the title's first issue has an image of the Shield stripping off his shirt to reveal his costume. The image is very reminiscent of some Superman images. In that pose his costume and build resemble Superman's, and he has his mask in his hand, which might have been mistaken for glasses he was taking off. So it may be the claim was wholly based on the cover! Bear in mind this is my speculation.

...Well , maybe .

That , actually , sort of runs into something I've thought of posting here about , but would be getting a little " cosimc/sociological "/whatever...The frequent poses of parody/joke/um ," affectionate ripoff " versions of Superman shown opening their shirts to reveal an " S " emblem or something similar underneath their shirt , triangle-shaped , and with either a big " S " or something similar there...And reflecting the " standard " version of Superman but not S&S's original version , who didn't have a triangular emblem on his chest (nor a capital " S " either)...

I am not referring to " real " comic book stories so much as I am referring to political cartoons , advertisments for commercial or not-profit entities...A political cartoon showing someone pulling their shirt off to reveal that they're Super "  _ " , an ad for a used car dealership advertising " Super Savings " (Or use of this concept with the perhaps-too-close ' Super " phrase not used as well .) , an ad for some charity exorting you to be a " Super Goodguy " by doing this or that...

For one example , I am somehow remembering some ad from my San Francisco days showing Harvey Milk , the real-life San Francisco politician who was the subject of that Sean Penn  film , pulling his shirt open - I can't remember much about it . (And , yes , Milk has been dead since he late 70s , perhaps it was a promotional piece by some SF non-profit that uses his name , a Harvey Milk Foundation or suchlike .)

I have a , um , extraordinarily pretentious/what I believe Britain's PRIVATE EYE magazine calls the " Psued's Corner "-level analogy , he said in a reverse pretentious/self-depreciating manner , to draw between such poses and a certain common image...

...At least when comic companies LET deceased characters rest for any time , I suppose that something that was seen by them as too much a use of a character that a company did own , and had , at the past , made profitable , lengthy , use of , might get them after you...In 1959 Marvel/Timely/Atlas had used Cap originally , profitably , for a decade or so and done the brief YOUNG MEN Korean War-era revival of him , I doubt that , certainly Marvelous Marty Goodman , would be inclined to let (what they thought was) an improper use of the character go/say " We'll never , ever , use that character (Or the other two of Timely's Trilogy either) ever , ever , again "...Only two years later Martin's company DID dredge up the Human Torch !!!!!!!!!

Incidentally , I wonder what Martin's opinion/suggestion/instructions on using Cap , after he ordered Stan to do something with super-heroes and he brought the FFback to Martin (THERE , there's a delicately posed comment carefully acknowledging different opions on the " How much did Stan , actuually , DO ????????? " eternal - On sites like us guys - controversy .) , with Sub-Mariner re-appearing within the first six issues , may have been ?????

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Well , maybe .

That , actually , sort of runs into something I've thought of posting here about , but would be getting a little " cosimc/sociological "/whatever...The frequent poses of parody/joke/um ," affectionate ripoff " versions of Superman shown opening their shirts to reveal an " S " emblem or something similar underneath their shirt , triangle-shaped , and with either a big " S " or something similar there...And reflecting the " s

I am not referring to " real " comic book stories so much as I am referring to political cartoons , adverisments for commercial or not-profit entities...A political cartoon showing someone pulling their shirt off to reveal that they're Super "  _ " , an ad for a used car dealership advertising " Super Savings " (Or use of this concept with the perhaps-too-close ' Super " phrase not used as well .) , an ad for some charity exorting you to be a " Super Goodguy " by doing this or that...

For one example , I am somehow remembering some ad from my San Francisco days showing Harvey Milk , the real-life San Francisco politician who was the subject of that Sean Penn  film , pulling his shirt open - I can't remember much about it . (And , yes , Milk has been dead since he late 70s , perhaps it was a promotional piece by some SF non-profit that uses his name , a Harvey Milk Foundation or suchlike .)

I have a , um , extraordinarily pretentious/what I believe Britain's PRIVATE EYE magazine calls the " Psued's Corner "-level analogy , he said in a reverse pretentious/self-depreciating manner , to draw between such poses and a certain common image...

...Marvevelman/Mircaleman's " Family " characters also used a word , the name of their " daddy "...Unlike their obvious models , the Marvels , both lesser members used the same word...Perhaps of course because they were both males...Hey , what vague ages would Dicky Dauntless and the rest be , considering that both Young Marvelman and Marvelman had names indicating that they were younger than Marvelmam...Does that just mean in their super-identities ???

I guess Billy Batson and Freddy Freeman were the same age as humans , and Mary Marvel/Bromfield/Batson was Billy's twin...Was Dicky Dauntless a trifle older than Johnny Bates and _____ ? I am aware that , in the U.K. , the " school leaver " age is 15/16...was Dicky supposed to be a teeny bit older than that , ____ more or less that , and ____ still under that ???

...Speaking of the Fly ,and the never officially published " Spectrum " revamp of the MLJ-Radio heroes around the late Eighties , which was cancelled by Archie before publication but had complete stories or near to it appearing as B&W previews in COMIC BUYER'S GUIDE and AMAZING HEROES and perhaps elsewhere IIRC...The ring that triggered Tommy Troy's change to the Fly said that someone could change " If He Be Worthy " or similar language...A story prepared for that Spectrum version of the MLJs that was " pre-published " that way showed a person who was not worthy try to transfer and become a disgusting , horrid , mess (not shown to the reader on the other side of a wall but observed by the Fly himself) .

The Silver Human Torch , the character whose powers I wanted , yelled " FLAME ON ! "...I suppose it was presented/spelled out , if it ever was , as more a " mind-focusing ritual than an actual requirement , but...........Did the Golden Torch do this ? Or Toro ?

I think that other of the " Riverdale super-heroes " would say things as they transformed , though they were less elaborate and perhaps , again , more presented as rituals/mind-focusers than literal necessities...Wikipedia does not list Big E , (A slightly odd name for an Archie character , expecially if the slang phrase for illegal use of Esctacy were what it is in the U.K. , I believe !!!!!!!!!) the Tom DeFalco-created super-hero version of the Archieverse's Ethel Muggs (No longer " Big Ethel " .) , did she have a word...Focusing on Juggie ? Did the characters in the short-lived Archie FALCALTY...FUNNIES , Riverdale High teachers who transformed , have a magic/focusing word ???

Or another " super " Riverdaleites ???

...Modern-era Johnny Thunder successor Jakeem Thunder had to say " So cool..." to summon/utilize/call upon the Thunderbolt , and the term had to naturally had to show up in his speech (Or a similar-sounding phrase -Hononym ?) before he could summon the Thunderbolt...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service