So after many years of gentle and not so gentle prodding I have finally started watching Doctor Who.  In the past I have seen snippets of the new series, and generally walked away muttering “…alright …that was odd…don’t see much point in that.” However my friends BatMatt and Doc kept suggesting I try it (much the same way we kept suggesting Rich try watching Firefly…) and since I share a lot of tastes in
common when it comes to TV shows and comics a few months ago I relented and let Doc know that I had come to terms with fact that someday I would eventually ended up watching some Doctor Who but needed to know where to start.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when my father had me open a Netflix account so we could figure out why Netflix streaming wasn’t working for him (no streaming outside the 50 states and DC…you lose out if you live in a Commonwealth of the US it turns out…bummer).  Since I had started the clock on my 2 week trial I figured I might as well take advantage of it once we were back in Rochester.

So early last week I started out watching Season 1 of the New Doctor Who series, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. The first 13 episodes are available via Netflix streaming, and I have watched 12.

If you haven’t watched the series yet…you might as well stop reading unless you want to be spoiled as to how I reacted…

Views: 2290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Several upcoming audio adventures from Big Finish interest me.

The Beginning:

Synopsis: When the First Doctor and his grand-daughter Susan escape through the cloisters of Gallifrey to an old Type 40 Time Travel capsule, little do they realize the adventures that lie ahead… And little do they know, as the TARDIS dematerializes and they leave their home world behind, there is someone else aboard the ship. He is Quadrigger Stoyn, and he is very unhappy…

Cast: Carole Ann Ford (Susan Foreman), Terry Molloy (Quadrigger Stoyn)

This is the first story in a Companion Chronicles trilogy celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who.

The Light at the End:

Synopsis: November 23rd 1963 proves to be a significant day in the lives of all eight Doctors…
It's the day that Bob Dovie's life is ripped apart…

It's also a day that sets in motion a catastrophic chain of events which forces the first eight incarnations of the Doctor to fight for their very existence. As a mysterious, insidious chaos unfolds within the TARDIS, the barriers of time break apart…

From suburban England through war-torn alien landscapes and into a deadly, artificial dimension, all these Doctors and their companions must struggle against the power of an unfathomable, alien technology.

From the very beginning, it is clear that the Master is somehow involved. By the end, for the Doctors, there may only be darkness.

Cast: Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann (The Doctor), Louise Jameson (Leela), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Nicola Bryant (Peri), Sophie Aldred (Ace), India Fisher (Charley Pollard), Geoffrey Beevers (The Master) with special guest stars!

I’ve already pre-ordered these two (both available November 30). The next one is the one that frustrates me because it’s available only to subscribers.

Trial of the Valyard:

No synopsis available, but it features Colin Baker as The Doctor.

Beevers should be great in an audio adventure.

My Daughter kept talking about Dr. Who, cause her friends in High School had to infect her.... and as a result, I asked her ro recommend a single, done-in-one episode that would represent the new Dr. Who for me.  She wisely chose the first episode of season six, the first Matt Smith as the Eleveth Doctor in "The Eleventh Hour".

It was a perfect introduction, as we know little to nothing about how he will play the doctor, and he's meeting a new character, young Ameila Pond for the first time...and it sets up the entire rest of the arc.  Also... this introduces the support companions for the next several years, and contains a nice little salute to the prior 10 doctors.  And it gives you a great theme song as well.  And there's some lighthearted humor as he gets to know his likes and dislikes in her kitchen!

I have also seen Blink, and while I love that episode, it stands alone very well, it may be a bit intense in tone for first time viewers. It also is not typical of the series.

So after seeing that first 11th doctor adventure, then I started watching them in order, with the family, and absolutely loved the return of the weeping angels in the two parter that also reintroduces Dr. River Song, Alexis Kingston, for two shows.

In short, it's been a fun ride. I recommend it.

Have I mentioned, Steven Moffit rules?

Your daughter chose wisely.  "The Eleventh Hour" is probably my favorite "introduction of the new Doctor" story ... ever.

My copies of "The Sensorites," "The Ambassadors of Death" and "The Krotons" arrived a week or so ago.  My plan is to watch "Ambassadors" this weekend.  I've never seen that one.

Some Dr. Who friends just watched "BattleField" with 7th S. McCoy as one of the best of his run.

Damn, I missed it, but I hear it was good. Does anyone else recommend it? And where can I find the arc?

I enjoyed it and would recommend it.  But I'd pick "Remembrance of the Daleks" or "The Curse of Fenric" over "Battlefield,"  I think.

Just going back a bit. My favourite stand alone story has got to be Father's Day with Eccleston and Piper. I have introduced a lot of people to the series with it because even if you take all the science fiction aspects out of it, it still holds together as a dramatic story including the story of the bride and groom talking about their first meeting. The Doctor, Rose and Pete just make it icing on the cake.

As far as 'Battlefield', it is a good story maybe not the best but not bad but I have to agree with Doctor Hmmm? Remembrance of the Daleks is a much stronger story (The first one I got on DVD). I also like Happiness Patrol. Oh Kandyman is a crap villain but there is a great scene where The Doctor dares a patrolman to shoot him which I felt really shows how serious McCoy's Doctor could be.

You're all going to be watching BBA America on Sunday afternoon, right?

I was at the Daily Mirror site and saw that Ladbrokes is putting the odds on (of all people) Philip Glenister at 26/1.  Gene Hunt in the TARDIS would be the funniest thing on Earth ... for about 60 seconds.  Then, not so much.

I'd be watching if I had cable.  Still, I'm sure it'll be all over the net about five mintues later.

If that long.

So. Peter Capaldi, then. Hmm.

He's older than we are! Yay!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service