So after many years of gentle and not so gentle prodding I have finally started watching Doctor Who.  In the past I have seen snippets of the new series, and generally walked away muttering “…alright …that was odd…don’t see much point in that.” However my friends BatMatt and Doc kept suggesting I try it (much the same way we kept suggesting Rich try watching Firefly…) and since I share a lot of tastes in
common when it comes to TV shows and comics a few months ago I relented and let Doc know that I had come to terms with fact that someday I would eventually ended up watching some Doctor Who but needed to know where to start.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when my father had me open a Netflix account so we could figure out why Netflix streaming wasn’t working for him (no streaming outside the 50 states and DC…you lose out if you live in a Commonwealth of the US it turns out…bummer).  Since I had started the clock on my 2 week trial I figured I might as well take advantage of it once we were back in Rochester.

So early last week I started out watching Season 1 of the New Doctor Who series, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. The first 13 episodes are available via Netflix streaming, and I have watched 12.

If you haven’t watched the series yet…you might as well stop reading unless you want to be spoiled as to how I reacted…

Views: 2290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I speak Baby."
I’m going to have to call Steven Moffett on two (possibly three) counts of shenanigans for that season finale, but I won’t mention specifics until everyone has had a chance to see it.
Yeah, I can think of a couple off the top of my head. 

What?  I dug it all.  And the question was the one many of us thought it would be...

The part that choked me up, though...the small scene about the Brig.  :(

There were at least two examples (including one blatant one) in which SM deliberately mislead the audience, making it impossible to solve the mystery on one's own.
Doctor Who isn't a play-fair mystery.

Fair enough -- but it shouldn't be a blantantly-cheat mystery, either.  Without getting all spoilery here -- either the bit with River requires actual flesh-to-flesh contact, or it does not.  If it does not, then I don't see why this episode didn't end much earlier than it did.

Don't get me wrong.  I enjoyed this (although I thought it was a bit lightweight)*.  But, like Jeff, I call shenanigans.**

Also, I have a lurking suspicion that the River Song timeline doesn't work.  But that may be easily explained by the River Song Corollary to Rule #1. 

The scene about the Brig was nice.

* This is what I get for complaining that RTD tried to make every season finale intensely dramatic.  Moffat writes season finales that deal with the end of the universe and the destruction of time itself -- and they feel like they're made out of marshmallow fluff.

** I just like to write the word "shenanigans."

I like the implication that the next season will be less UNIVERSAL DESTRUCTION and more quiet, "in the shadows" stories.  Holly said that they certainly did set up for the 50th anniversary and, possibly, Matt Smith's final episode storyline with "field of battle" and "the question will be answered".

Some of what River said on the top of the thing (trying to avoid spoilers) had me, for a moment, being giddy at the thought that maaaaaybe Eccleston and Tennant might show up.

Touching just made time resume...I thought...
You guys probably know this already, but if you don't: the U.S. release of season four of Sarah Jane Adventures will be December 6.
I watched an episode of The Waltons a couple of days ago, titled "The Big Brother." There are a couple of characters in the episode that the Baron could easily make into the first Doctor and Susan in his Earth-44 line. It especially works when Grandpa Walton finds the true location of the address the girl gives him. If you have DirecTV, this episode will air again on 21 October on GMC.
Anybody watched any Sarah Jane Adventures?  I haven't seen any, and was wondeirng if anyone could offer any input.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service