So after many years of gentle and not so gentle prodding I have finally started watching Doctor Who.  In the past I have seen snippets of the new series, and generally walked away muttering “…alright …that was odd…don’t see much point in that.” However my friends BatMatt and Doc kept suggesting I try it (much the same way we kept suggesting Rich try watching Firefly…) and since I share a lot of tastes in
common when it comes to TV shows and comics a few months ago I relented and let Doc know that I had come to terms with fact that someday I would eventually ended up watching some Doctor Who but needed to know where to start.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when my father had me open a Netflix account so we could figure out why Netflix streaming wasn’t working for him (no streaming outside the 50 states and DC…you lose out if you live in a Commonwealth of the US it turns out…bummer).  Since I had started the clock on my 2 week trial I figured I might as well take advantage of it once we were back in Rochester.

So early last week I started out watching Season 1 of the New Doctor Who series, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. The first 13 episodes are available via Netflix streaming, and I have watched 12.

If you haven’t watched the series yet…you might as well stop reading unless you want to be spoiled as to how I reacted…

Views: 2548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why Doctor Who is more like Star Wars than Star Trek:

http://www.rpsteeves.com/2012/10/doctor-who-more-star-wars-than-sta...

My review of the Doctor Who Christmas Special, The Snowmen:

http://www.rpsteeves.com/2012/12/wrapped-up-like-who-review-doctor-...

Haven't seen it yet, although just from the title, I suspect a tie-in to an old enemy from the Troughton era.

Other than to say I am intrigued by the new companion dynamic, I'll save further comment until Bob has had the chance to see it. In the meantime, someone explain to me why, exactly, the doctor can't simply rescue "the Ponds" from the past in the TARDIS...?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Other than to say I am intrigued by the new companion dynamic, I'll save further comment until Bob has had the chance to see it. In the meantime, someone explain to me why, exactly, the doctor can't simply rescue "the Ponds" from the past in the TARDIS...?

Well, obviously, you must have missed the part in "The Angels Take Manhattan" where the Ponds were infused with Gold Gallifreyite, thus preventing the Doctor from ever seeing them again, lest he lose his Time Lord powers for all time!

We watched the “The Snowmen” for a second time last night. I was surprised to learn that Tracy an I disagree on the relative merits of the new companion, or rather, the mystery surrounding her. More specifically, Tracy objects to the way the Doctor behaves toward her. I can see her point, but (as I indicated yesterday), I’m more intrigued by the mystery surrounding her.

It was clearly stated in "The Angels Take Manhatan" that there was SO much chronal energy going on in and around NYC that the Doctor couldn't land there...but he forces the issue, and does so anyway. He states that he doesn't dare try that again, now or ever, and so, when the Ponds "take up residence there" (I'm being kind) they have gone beyond his reach.

However, River, on the other hand, with her little arm distortion jumer, could get there anytime she wants, I believe, so we are likely to have a reference to visiting them.

My kids and I watched "The Snowmen" Xmas special and my daughter is thoroughly taken with the concept of "the ultimate tree house" which the doctor employs to "hang out in".... or should we say "above".

We like the new gal, but we're feeling this is a time paradox trying to put her in his way. to get his attention. Watch out for further uses of the name "GI".

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Why couldn’t the Doctor land the TARDIS in 1930s era Chicago (say), take the train to NYC, pick up the Ponds, take the train back to Chicago and depart in the TARDIS? Easy-peasy!

Yes, “GI” is going to become this season’s “Bad Wolf”.

It occurs to me that the Ponds are only in residence in the 30s in the 30s, so e.g. he should be able to visit them in the 40s or 50s.

That's a good thought, Jeff... however, the Ponds also indicated that they were happy...and that they wanted a life apart from the doctor...and...well...

I thought that the activities of the Angels had blocked any return to that time period. ANY return.

And obviously, it wasn't by accident that the Tardis came down in the graveyard. PS: Here's an out. Even though the graveyard says both their names on it, that doesn't mean that they are burried there, nor that it's accurate, nor that they stayed in NYC for the rest of their lives...(just a variation on your idea, Jeff...)

What I didn't get was why they were assuming that everything River put in the book was the truth. 

I think the real reason is "Because Steven Moffat says so!"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service