So after many years of gentle and not so gentle prodding I have finally started watching Doctor Who.  In the past I have seen snippets of the new series, and generally walked away muttering “…alright …that was odd…don’t see much point in that.” However my friends BatMatt and Doc kept suggesting I try it (much the same way we kept suggesting Rich try watching Firefly…) and since I share a lot of tastes in
common when it comes to TV shows and comics a few months ago I relented and let Doc know that I had come to terms with fact that someday I would eventually ended up watching some Doctor Who but needed to know where to start.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when my father had me open a Netflix account so we could figure out why Netflix streaming wasn’t working for him (no streaming outside the 50 states and DC…you lose out if you live in a Commonwealth of the US it turns out…bummer).  Since I had started the clock on my 2 week trial I figured I might as well take advantage of it once we were back in Rochester.

So early last week I started out watching Season 1 of the New Doctor Who series, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. The first 13 episodes are available via Netflix streaming, and I have watched 12.

If you haven’t watched the series yet…you might as well stop reading unless you want to be spoiled as to how I reacted…

Views: 2260

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doc Beechler said:
Human Nature-Family of Blood-Blink...man, that was a fantastic run of episodes. The montage of John and Joan's life just killed me. Maybe it's the MD in me, but gore takes something out of the scariness for me. Those super-fast angel statues...brrrrrrr.

Yep, The Weeping Angels freak us out more than any other recent Who baddie. Of course, my biggest creep-myself-out fear is looking out a window and seeing a face staring back at me, so the idea of the angels suddenly being in my face gives me the heebies.

And, yeah, "Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks" pretty much ranks as my least favorite story ever. At the time, I noted that this story pretty much ruined all of the menace that the new series had restored to the Daleks. But, if you want a memento of this tale, you can buy your very own Dalek Sec mask with voice changer.
And, yes, I have a talking fobwatch which says lines from "Human Nature". I bought it, on sale (!), in a comic shop in Birmingham, UK.
I hate joining a discussion late, but OTOH, you already moved beyond the episodes I would have had to resist spoiling. Case in point, you didn’t care much for “The End of the World,” but I see it as something of a trilogy with “New Earth” from series two and “Gridlock” from series three. But you have yet to learn all there is to know about the Face of Boe.

I didn’t much care for “The Unquiet Dead,” either, but like you, I enjoyed “The Shakespeare Code” more. I’m reluctant to say anything about Queen Elizabeth, but if you keep watching beyond the series into the specials your curiosity will be assuaged (and judging by what you said, I think you’ll be pleased, too).

You mentioned Captain Jack and Torchwood a time or two. As someone else already mentioned, the Torchwood series picks up after the “Army of Ghosts / Doomsday” series two finale, but you already had all of the introduction anyone would need after “Tooth and Claw.” The first hint of Torchwood was in “The Christmas Invasion” IIRC, but the Torchwood of Canary Wharf is somewhat different than Captain Jack’s. As a matter of fact opinion, I think “Tooth and Claw” and “The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances” serve as the perfect “zero episodes” of Torchwood. I would even recommend watching them in that order and chalking it up to “wibbley wobbley timey wimey” stuff regarding the Doctor’s own personal timeline.

Speaking of which, “Blink” may not be our favorite episode (then again, it might be), but it’s certainly the one I’ve show to others the most often with the intend of getting them interested in the show. It requires absolutely no set-up, and everyone I’ve shown it to liked it. I’ve considered using (but haven’t yet) “Love & Monsters” as a follow up. Tracy once surprised me with a Dalek t-shirt, but I wish she would have bought "The Angels Have the Phone Box." Shh... Don't tell her.

I’ve already dropped two semi-spoilery hints… I’m going to refrain from dropping two more.

Regarding “unseen adventures,” I think it’s pretty obvious that the Ninth Doctor appears in “Rose” fresh from a regeneration, yet the LINDA folks (among others) have evidence of him traveling solo through time, despite the fact Rose was apparently with him throughout this entire incarnation. I don’t mean to suggest that I’m the first to postulate this (indeed, it was discussed on the old board), but I like to think those solo adventures took place toward the end of the first episode, after he disappeared in the TARDIS leaving both Mickey and Rose behind, then reappeared “seconds” later. Also, Tracy has read all of the Ninth Doctor and Rose prose adventures and has her own ideas when these “unseen adventures” occur in the Doctor’s personal timeline.

Now that I’m caught up I hope to be able to keep up.
Batmatt Beyond said:
. But, if you want a memento of this tale, you can buy your very own Dalek Sec mask with voice changer.
Haha...no thanks...I'll pass on that thank you.

Doc Beechler said:
And, yes, I have a talking fobwatch which says lines from "Human Nature". I bought it, on sale (!), in a comic shop in Birmingham, UK.
but oooh....Doc don't leave it out if I am around...I might be tempted to take it!
Jeff of Earth-J said:
I hate joining a discussion late, but OTOH, you already moved beyond the episodes I would have had to resist spoiling. Case in point, you didn’t care much for “The End of the World,” but I see it as something of a trilogy with “New Earth” from series two and “Gridlock” from series three. But you have yet to learn all there is to know about the Face of Boe.
I agree with you about the trilogy aspect to them. And I just saw the final episode of season 3 this morning...so I think I know what you mean...

Jeff of Earth-J said:
I didn’t much care for “The Unquiet Dead,” either, but like you, I enjoyed “The Shakespeare Code” more. I’m reluctant to say anything about Queen Elizabeth, but if you keep watching beyond the series into the specials your curiosity will be assuaged (and judging by what you said, I think you’ll be pleased, too).
What do you mean specials? The movies after? or the Christmas specials?

Jeff of Earth-J said:
You mentioned Captain Jack and Torchwood a time or two. As someone else already mentioned, the Torchwood series picks up after the “Army of Ghosts / Doomsday” series two finale, but you already had all of the introduction anyone would need after “Tooth and Claw.” The first hint of Torchwood was in “The Christmas Invasion” IIRC, but the Torchwood of Canary Wharf is somewhat different than Captain Jack’s. As a matter of fact opinion, I think “Tooth and Claw” and “The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances” serve as the perfect “zero episodes” of Torchwood. I would even recommend watching them in that order and chalking it up to “wibbley wobbley timey wimey” stuff regarding the Doctor’s own personal timeline.

Whenever I do decide to start watching Torchwood, I will do that.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
Speaking of which, “Blink” may not be our favorite episode (then again, it might be), but it’s certainly the one I’ve show to others the most often with the intend of getting them interested in the show. It requires absolutely no set-up, and everyone I’ve shown it to liked it. I’ve considered using (but haven’t yet) “Love & Monsters” as a follow up. Tracy once surprised me with a Dalek t-shirt, but I wish she would have bought "The Angels Have the Phone Box." Shh... Don't tell her.
Ha! I know...that episode had such great one liners. The one thing that I wonder about is if there was any chance that the daughter of Kathy Nightingale who she named after Sally Sparrow turned out to be DI Shipton's wife Sally. I don't know if it would work out time wise... seems like she would be too old...but I sort like the idea.
Jeff of Earth-J said:

Regarding “unseen adventures,” I think it’s pretty obvious that the Ninth Doctor appears in “Rose” fresh from a regeneration, yet the LINDA folks (among others) have evidence of him traveling solo through time, despite the fact Rose was apparently with him throughout this entire incarnation. I don’t mean to suggest that I’m the first to postulate this (indeed, it was discussed on the old board), but I like to think those solo adventures took place toward the end of the first episode, after he disappeared in the TARDIS leaving both Mickey and Rose behind, then reappeared “seconds” later. Also, Tracy has read all of the Ninth Doctor and Rose prose adventures and has her own ideas when these “unseen adventures” occur in the Doctor’s personal timeline.
That is a good spot to put those in.
Jeff of Earth-J said:
Now that I’m caught up I hope to be able to keep up.

Good luck with that...I have been moving through them at very quick pace...I would have started up Season 4 except the Christmas Special that kicks of the season is only available through DVD to I have to wait till tomorrow or Wed for it to arrive.
I'm pretty sure that by "the specials", Jeff means the special epsiodes that came Tennant's last full series, and that lead up to the debut of the Eleventh Doctor.
ah...okay...those are on the list.

The Baron said:
I'm pretty sure that by "the specials", Jeff means the special epsiodes that came Tennant's last full series, and that lead up to the debut of the Eleventh Doctor.
Right, I was referring to The Next Doctor, Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars and The End of Time. One of those, anyway.

I don't think Shipton married Kathy's daughter Sally, either, but I agree it's a kind of neat idea to speculate.

And yes, if you watched the end of series three you know what I mean about The Face Of Boe. When Boe first referred to the Doctor as "old friend" in "Gridlock" I thought "Whassup wit' dat?" They'd only met three times... as far as we know then. Now I wonder if Boe's cryptic statement was, in fact, in reference to the Master, or actually... no, no! I can't say it!

One thing I like about the new series of Doctor Who is that, although all of the episodes are stand-alones (except for the two-parters, of course), they also contibute to one BIG STORY... not just each season, but all four seasons plus the specials contribute to one HUGE arc.

On to series four!
Jeff of Earth-J said:
One thing I like about the new series of Doctor Who is that, although all of the episodes are stand-alones (except for the two-parters, of course), they also contibute to one BIG STORY... not just each season, but all four seasons plus the specials contribute to one HUGE arc.

On to series four!

I agree with you...I like how the story has been structured so far. I have started listening to some of the audio commentaries podcasts and I really like how they consider themselves to be stretching the definitive of what a Doctor Who story can be by introducing emotional and dramatic elements to what used to be considered a Sci-fi adventure show.

About the podcasts commentaries however...they no longer seem to be available for download from BBC 7. I have about 19 or so that I found at so if any of you additional ones have on your computers and wouldn't mind sending me the files...I would really appreciate it. Otherwise I will have to wait till I get Chris on board to watch these.

Finishing up Season 3:

S3.e12: Utopia: Captain Jack makes a leap to try and rejoin The Doctor. And The Doctor is decidedly unhappy about it, which was really interesting. You would think the very lonely Doctor would be glad to have a friend and ally who he doesn’t have to worry about outliving. I also liked how Jack and Martha quickly understood they were in very similar positions and bonded. Things look very grim for the human race, grim enough that going off in a sad looking rocket for a questionable destination seems like the reasonable choice, although it always seemed like it would end badly even before I saw the final episode.

S3.e13: The Sound of Drums: Well the mysterious PM Sexton who had enlisted Martha’s mother in trying to track down the Doctor is none other than the Master. I think the producers did a good job, setting up Sexton as a threat during the season, even before we find out it is the Master, introducing the character of the Master, and giving us newbies backstory, and explaining how the Doctor might have missed he was still alive. I am curious to know if the Master could have died in his guise as the Professor, had he not remembered who he was.

S3.e14 : Last of the Time Lords: The Doctor goes from Gandalf to to Gollum as he is aged. A Martha builds up a bad-ass reputation crossing the world. I am glad for her in the end that she chooses to say goodbye. Twice already she has had to be on her own to save the Doctor and he has little for other than a pat on the back, time she moved on, although it does seem harsh for the Doctor, as the Master rather die * than be stuck with him, and have both of his former companions decide to walk away even if they will think of him fondly. Despite the great time paradox windstorm, the Earth has a lot to recover from.
Saxon, not Sexton.

The Doctor explains in "Utopia" why Jack's presence as an anomaly in time upsets him. It's not that he doesn't like Jack.
Yes, not only could the Master have died while in human guise, but any Timelord can die as well if killed quickly enough so as to prevent regeneration (as you shall soon see for yourself). Heh, heh, heh... ;)
oh I get that...but it still seems harsh. I guess it just highlights how the Doctor makes choices that make him lonely.

Cavalier said:
Saxon, not Sexton.

The Doctor explains in "Utopia" why Jack's presence as an anomaly in time upsets him. It's not that he doesn't like Jack.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service