So after many years of gentle and not so gentle prodding I have finally started watching Doctor Who.  In the past I have seen snippets of the new series, and generally walked away muttering “…alright …that was odd…don’t see much point in that.” However my friends BatMatt and Doc kept suggesting I try it (much the same way we kept suggesting Rich try watching Firefly…) and since I share a lot of tastes in
common when it comes to TV shows and comics a few months ago I relented and let Doc know that I had come to terms with fact that someday I would eventually ended up watching some Doctor Who but needed to know where to start.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when my father had me open a Netflix account so we could figure out why Netflix streaming wasn’t working for him (no streaming outside the 50 states and DC…you lose out if you live in a Commonwealth of the US it turns out…bummer).  Since I had started the clock on my 2 week trial I figured I might as well take advantage of it once we were back in Rochester.

So early last week I started out watching Season 1 of the New Doctor Who series, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. The first 13 episodes are available via Netflix streaming, and I have watched 12.

If you haven’t watched the series yet…you might as well stop reading unless you want to be spoiled as to how I reacted…

Views: 2288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would've been more apropos of someone Ted's age if he'd've said Tom Baker instead of David Tennant, though.
For many...even 40-somethings...Doctor Who begins with Tennant.
"Inconceivable!"

I truly started with Matt Smith, though I did see some of the Tennant episodes with Donna Noble.

"And you keep using that word! I don't think it means what you think it means!"

Doctor Who: The BBC Radio Episodes 8 audio CD set has been solicited for July release. I read about these stories in my episode guide, but have never heard them. Also included is is the 1975 made-for-LP audio adventure “Doctor Who and the Pescatons” and the 1994 spoof “Whatever Happened to Susan?” (the latter of which I have heard). I won’t pre-order these from my LCS; Amazon will have a better price and I’ll get them sooner.

Also solicited are DVD releases of “The Gunfighters” and “The Awakening.”
Roy Skelton has died.  Geez, it does feel like alot of the icons from the old series have been passing on, lately. For those of you not familiar with the old series, Skelton was the voice of the Daleks for many years, and the first voice of the Cybermen, as well.  Sort of like what Nick Briggs has been for the new show.
Moffat comfirms, via his twitter, that he and Matt Smith will be back for at least 14 episodes in 2012.

Well he confirmed that he and Matt will be back for Series 7, but I thought it wasn't clear that all 14 episodes would air in 2012.

The 14 includes this year's Christmas special.
yes, but there was also speculation of another split series with some of the episodes extending to 2013.

Upcoming Doctor Who on DVD Schedule

1)Frontios, Time and the Rani - Today!

2)The Awakening, The Gunfighters - 7/12/11 - I'm particularly looking forward to the Hartnell story.

3)Season 6.1 - 7/19/11 - I haven't seen any of these, although I've read extensive spoilers for them.

4)The Sun Makers, Paradise Towers - 8/9/11 - I'm particularly eager to see both of these.

DOCTOR WHO IS BACK!  

Let's Kill Hitler: Lots of questions are answered about River and her recursive history. She is name Melody after herself (Amy and Rory's best mate) and she grows up to be assume the name River Song, because they already knew her as River. We learn how and when and from whom she learned to fly the Tardis.

I liked that we saw Amy growing up along with Mels and Rory and the incredibly appropriate way they first paired up...for once Amy is the one that was clueless. 

I enjoyed the walking robot time traveling justice givers despite the fact that as Aay was  watching with me, wondered out loud why they would have built ships with such murderous anti-bodies. Makes me think that thy somehow inherited or re-purposed that ship. It seems like it would be a incredible pain to be dealing with that kind of threat on the ship at all time. They did look cool though. 

Rory continues to rock, punching Hitler, assuming he can ride a motor bike just because. Obviously a fair portion of Melody/River's super-heroics come from her Dad.

They did enough missing time, costume changing in this episode to leave room for letting us know about all sorts of unseen complicating shenanigans down the line. 

yet again another fast moving, fast talking highly quotable episode.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service