OK, a gap opened up in the Sourcewall, see, and out dropped disks of the old 60's Marvel Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man and Sub-Mariner cartoon.  It's been close to forty-five since I've seen them last, and I never even knew they was Thor and Sub-Mariner ones when I was a kid. So, anyway, let's see what I see.

Views: 2528

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was thinking I saw them in 1968 (when I was four).

I was also four in 1968 and remember the last one KHJ (now KCAL) ran was the Avengers#4 episode. Pretty sure by that time it was only on once a week. Sunday I think.

The Avengers#4 episode left out Namor (odd since they had the rights to him) and had the alien just disappear after changing them back from stone. Then the show jumps to Tales of Suspense. Some of the editing on this series was baffling.

Ron M. said:

The Avengers#4 episode left out Namor (odd since they had the rights to him) and had the alien just disappear after changing them back from stone. Then the show jumps to Tales of Suspense. Some of the editing on this series was baffling.

There was no alien in that episode, just a thuggish scientist called "Bull".

He was an alien in the original story. It's odd they changed him. Like they didn't want aliens in the show.

Episode Nine:  "The Bitter Taste of Defeat!"

In which our heroes battle the Enchantress and Power Man.  Gosh, was there ever a less inspiring villain than Power Man? No wonder they gave his name to Luke Cage!

This also reminds me of how much I've always disliked Clint Barton as a character. His constant sniping at Cap is really annoying.

There's an even odder case of editing in one of the Sub-Mariner episodes.

These cartoons were shown in the St. Louis market on KSD during the "Corky the Clown" show. Corky was played by one of the local newscasters. I didn't know that until they changed the opening sequence to show him putting on his make-up in fast motion. I knew a clown was just a guy in make-up, but somehow watching him put it on took away some of the "magic" for me. I realize now they probably did that because so many kids are afraid of clowns (a fact I never knew until I married my wife).

They must have been high when they made that one...

I think Power Man bragged more about how unbeatable he was more than any other villain. How many times did he tell us how much stronger he was than anybody else?

Episode Ten: "Doorway to Doom"

This episode introduces Wanda, Pietro and Clint as though we'd never seen them before, so I'm guessing it's out of order. They fight a stereotypical brutish Asian Commie called "The Commissar", who turns out to be a robot. The Commissar has a tendency to sound like an angry Muppet.  Cap whines a little about retiring, but decides to stay on.

The "Commissar" story is from Avengers #18 (which I mention only because I can't think of anything else to say).

#18 - Commissar

#19-20 - Swordsman

#21-22 - Power-Man

Episode Eleven: "The Sleeper Shall Awake!"

In which Cap battles the various Sleeper robots.  Whenever I see the Sleepers, I always wonder why, if the Nazis could build stuff like this, they didn't use them in the war instead of burying them?

It's also amusing that for all the stories in which our heroes must stop the Axis powers from winning the war with science fiction super-weapons, WE were the ones who won the war with a science fiction super-weapon.

Episode Twelve: "The Girl from Cap's Past!"

In which Cap is haunted by the memory of a girl he knew during the war, then runs into a girl SHIELD agent who looks like her twenty years later.  Also, there's Batroc and something called Inferno-42. Batroc is played like a comedy Frenchman.

Episode Thirteen:  "The Red Skull Lives!"

The Red Skull teams up with AIM, but steals the Cosmic Cube, and then Cap tricks him because he's a dumbass.  If I ever get ahold of a Cosmic Cube, my archenemy is being turned into a golden retriever, instantly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service