I watched a lot of Popeye cartoons when I was little, and to the best of my memory, the only ones worth re-watching are the ones made by the Fleischer Brothers, who also made some excellent Superman cartoons, as well.

1)Popeye the Sailor (1933):  This is presented a "A Betty Boop Cartoon". It comes across as sort of like a "pilot" for the series.  It starts with a song, "Strike Up the Band (For Popeye the Sailor)". We are informed that Popeye (Billy Costello) has signed a movie deal.  We then see him on board ship, singing the now-familiar "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man".  There are several visual gags showing how strong Popeye is. (For example, he punches a mast, which disintegrates into a pile of clothes pins.  In general, there are many surreal visual gags in this.)  Popeye takes Olve Oyl (Bonnie Poe) to a carnival, pursued by Bluto (William Pennell).  Popeye shows Bluto up at various carnival games, then dances on-stage with Betty Boop (Poe, again). As an aside, Betty's wearing a pretty risque outfit here, essentially topless, except for a strategically-placed (and apparently glued on) lei.  Bluto takes his opportunity to abduct Olive (saying "Marry me!"), eventually tying her to some railroad tracks. (Did anyone ever do that in real life?)  Popeye races to the rescue. Bluto pummels him, but Popeye eats some spinach (the Spinach-Eating Moment is much less dramatic here than it will become in later cartoons) and then rescues Olive by smashing the train that was about to hit her (and presumably killing hundreds).  

Overall: An amusing little cartoon with lots of sight gags.  It sets what will be the template for most subsequent Popeye cartoons:  Bluto forces his attentions on Olive, Popeye takes a beating trying to save her, Popeye eats some spinach, Popeye beats the snot out of Bluto.  I'll be interested to see just what percentage of these cartoons follow this template.

Views: 5652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Little King was a licensed character, too. 

There are claims of a Superman curse, based on the tragic fates of George Reeves and Christopher Reeve. To add "proof" to the argument of the curse, supporters are suggesting the Superman cartoon series was the reason Max and Dave Fleischer got fired by Paramount.

Dean Cain is doing ok.

Kirk Alyn lived to be 88. Their argument there is playing Superman typecast him and ruined his career. That's really reaching. A lot of actors got typecast for playing popular (or hated) characters. The curse is supposed to originate from National only paying 130 dollars for Superman.

Then shouldn't the curse be afflicting DC/National and/or the people who paid the $130 instead of the actors who played the character?  After all, it doesn't impact DC at all if Tom Welling never works again.

But they're not famous.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service