Note: The disks I have are in Japanese, without dubbing or subtitles.  I only know about twenty or so words of Japanese, although many of those are words that are likely to occur in tokusatsu.  The challenge I am setting myself is to see whether I can follow what's going on in these without knowing what's being said.

We start with what my disk set calls  an "Intro Movie", although it's only about 25 minutes long.

Our Hero, who seems to be called "Yamashiro", is having a nap, and has a bad dream about being stuck in  room.  He hears a cry for help ("Tasukete!") and rescues his sister (Well, she calls him " oneechan", so I'm assuming she's his sister) and a kid (Nephew?  Kid Brother?)  from a gang of thugs dressed like Grey Bird-People  (GBP).  He switches to Spider-Man and fights them, but they literally vanish.  

He is observed by Internal Dialogue Mustache Man  (IDMM). Yamashiro gets a disturbing phone call, and then we see Spidey doing a lot of climbing. (Seriously, there are tons of climbing shots in this. Plus, the camera has a tendency to linger lovingly on Spidey's butt.)  He breaks into a room, and IDMM is there. I believe IDMM is a cop - at least, he says "Interpol" alot. IDMM shows him footage of kids and young women at a pool.  (I think  IDMM knows Spidey's ID.)   He also shows him footage of Fish-Headed Guy (FHG) firing torpedoes at a ship. I assume that IDMM has successfully recruited Spidey, as we see them shake hands.  Spidey battles some  GBPs, but it's a distraction as IDMM is kidnapped! Mystey Woman With Hat (MWWH) observes.  Spidey finds a note stuck to a wall, which I assume is a ransom or a threat.

We next meet One-Eyed Cyborg Man (OECM) , who carries what looks like a floor lamp without a shade.  He says "Spider-Man" alot in a threatening voice, so I assume he's a heel.  His aide is In Her Underwear Woman (IHUW), who may be the same person as MWWH, I'm not sure. Anyway, IHUW goes to the GBP boat, where she slaps the captive IDMM around.  We see Spidey swimming to the boat.  

Meanwhile FHG joins IHUW. I love FHG. How IDMM doesn't laugh in his face, I don't know.  Spidey's flying car approaches the boat, and something parachutes out of it. The GBP shoot the parachutist down,. but it's a dummy. Meanwhile, the  real Spidey boards the boat surreptitiously, and battles the GBP. who are as useless as these guys are in all tokusatsu.
Spidey quickly sets off an alarm - perhaps this version doesn't have "Spider-Sense"?   Spidey beats up alot of GBP, and he and IDMM take off in a speedboat.  IHUW sends a chopper after them.  On land, Spidey draws the chopper away from IDMM, and fortunately for him, the chopper guys are the worst shots in history. Spidey jumps onto the chopper and deals with its crew. He then summons his giant robot, because reasons.  Seeing this, FHG grows to giant size,  The giant robot (which is not Spider-Man themed at all) easily disposes of FHG with its power sword.    Afterwards, Spidey and IDMM have a nice chat as they amble down the boardwalk.

Overall:   Interesting stuff. the Spider-Man costume is the familiar one - the only difference I notice is that Spidey has a rather bulky two-way wrist TV.  It's fun seeing Spider-Man plopped down into the typical tokusatsu formula.

Views: 1112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I was not able to watch all of episode 6, as the disk glitched up about 16.6 minutes into the episode."

Aw, man! I was watching these a couple of weeks ago, got as far as "Mushroom Guy" in this episode, and decided, "Bob has got to see this!" Tracy and I were both fascinated and repulsed at the same time.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I was not able to watch all of episode 6, as the disk glitched up about 16.6 minutes into the episode."

Aw, man! I was watching these a couple of weeks ago, got as far as "Mushroom Guy" in this episode, and decided, "Bob has got to see this!" Tracy and I were both fascinated and repulsed at the same time.

I saw most of it, I just don't know how it ended, what happened to Cowboy Man and so on.

Episode 7: Tak and Hitomi are having a conversation, when he he sees some guys on alight pole. He sets off in pursuit of them on his bike, and a policewoman sets off in pursuit of him.  She calls in back-up, and Tak ends up in the river. The policewoman is waiting for him at home, and busts him. Hitomi, Shinko and Takuji  hold a "Free Takuya" protest outside the jail.  A Dissipated Frog-Thing  (DFT) blasts a hole in the wall, and Tak's Cellmate escapes.  Tak sets off in pursuit.  Spidey talks to Policewoman, and Cellmate Man escapes with the help of fake cops. Policewoman is yelled at by her boss, but her little brother Akira tries to stick up for her.  (Spidey is obviously not considered an outlaw, the cops cooperate with him.)  Policewoman has a flashback to older brother cop being killed by crooks - I'm assuming she became a cop in his memory. Spidey seems to speak up for her. At home, she speaks to older brother's ghost and Akira encourages her.   Elsewhere, the Professor and Amazoness plot. they say the word "cobalt alot.  Cellmate Man plants something on Important Guy.  Policewoman spots Cellmate Man and chases him.  The fake cops shoot him, then flee.  He confesses something as he dies, apparently about an electronic doo-dad he planted on Important Guy.  Some guys get massacred, and Spidey gives chase, narrowly avoiding a collision with Policewoman, who crashes into a field, DFT grows to giant size, and Spidey defeats him with Marveller . This is the first time I've seen Spidey beat a critter without using Leopardon!  Think how lame that makes DFT!  Spidey rescues Policewoman, then drives off.

Overall: Another fun episodes. Policewoman should be a recurring character.

Episode 8: Amazoness is at a dam, threatening and then killing some guy, although it looks as though she hadn't meant to go that far.  She then has some goons go after a girl.  Later, Hitomi and  Shinko are mugged by some mean girls, when the girl from before shows up. She's called "Kyoko", and she calls Shinko "sempai", so I'm guessing they know each other from school.  Anyway, Kyoko beats the mean girls up. After that, we see the girls at a disco. A little kid is thrown out when he tries to get in.  The goons pull a gun on Kyoko, but Spidey saves her. He gives her a Spider-Tracer or a signal watch or something.  Tak and the girls meet up back at the disco. the little kid is apparently Kyoko's little brother, Kenichi.  We see Hitomi making Tak buy stuff for her. ("Budget-sense, tingling!")  Kenichi goes home, which is a mess. He talks to a woman who I thought was his mother, but turns out to be Amazoness.  (I think I may have missed something, here.) She is frustrated to find a wall-safe empty.  Weird-Headed Guy (WHG) is watching TV with the Professor and Amazoness.  They lalk about Spidey and Kyoko. At home, the Yamashiros also talk about Kyoko. At the dam, Tak talks to a guy with glasses, then Spidey spies on Kenichi.  WHG appears out of the lawn and fights Spidey. Kyoko gets some papers in the mail (The stuff that was in the safe, maybe?) The goons chase her, and she activates the spider-signal. Spidey rescues her. Everyone at the dam is unconscious.  Spidey poses, and beats up some GBPs.   WHG grows to giant-size, and Spidey yells something that could be either  "Marveller!" or "Barbara", then uses Leopardon to stab WHG. Afterwards, he wishes Kyoko and Kenichi well.

Overall: Another fun episode.

“Dissipated Frog-Thing”

DFT also had a siren on his head (although not in every scene).

“Amazoness is at a dam, threatening and then killing some guy, although it looks as though she hadn't meant to go that far.”

After he fell, she said, “Shimata.”

“(I think I may have missed something, here.)”

Don’t ask me.

I found this definition on-line:

Shimatta!
This swear word literately means “oh no! It happened” but is usually translated as “crap”, or “damn.”
(Pronunciation guide)

The only real native curse word in Japanese technically means "crap" literally, although anime usually uses an English word. Even anime for little kids uses it. Watched Sonic the Hedgehog in Japanese and it sounded very strange when this kid friendly character suddenly yelled "s**t!"

I watched the GBP goons scramble up a ramp after Spider-man, slipping and sliding, getting nowhere. There were wooden stairs right next to them. Idiots!

Well, T, you know how the goons are in tokusatsu.  You don't end up cannon fodder for some nutjob because you got tired of being a brain surgeon.

There was a story where Taskmaster kicked somebody out of his minion training program because he decided the guy was too smart to be a flunky. Master criminals tend to be insecure, like Mr. Fear picking the Ox because he was too stupid to turn against him, and the Eel because he was too weak to betray him.

"But Spider-Man can do it, so why can't we?!?"

Tracy of Moon-T said:

I watched the GBP goons scramble up a ramp after Spider-man, slipping and sliding, getting nowhere. There were wooden stairs right next to them. Idiots!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service