Replies

• Nice pickup; homage or copy-cat or great minds thinking alike?

• A couple of years ago, I spotted a similar homage to Alan Moore (or copy-cat, or example of great minds thinking alike) in a most unlikely place.  It was an issue of The Beano, a British kids' comic whose target readership is probably about 8 to 10 years old.

In the comic's Bash Street Kids strip, the kids and their teacher found a greenhouse that they'd never noticed before in the grounds of their school.  Inside the greenhouse, they met sentient plants who were not best pleased by the way that mankind had been cutting down rainforests and otherwise trashing the planet.  The following scene ensued.

10992252073?profile=RESIZE_710x

I looked at this, and thought "where have I seen this before?"  The answer:

10992252500?profile=RESIZE_710x

• As far as homages go, the pages above are from Nexus Magazine #3 by Baron and Rude, which was published 1982. Watchmen by Moore and Gibbons was published in 1986.
  • "The Beano, a British kids' comic..."

The only thing I know about The Beano is this album cover:

Bop-Pills-Eric-Clapton-Beano-1.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

I always assumed it was more "underground," like the British version of Zap Comix.

• Oops, I misunderstood which way round the Nexus/Watchmen homage happened.  It appears that, although The Beano seems to refer back to Moore's Swamp Thing, conversely Moore's Watchmen refers back to Nexus.  Thanks for the clarification!

And, Jeff, The Beano is very definitely a children's comic.  It's not remotely underground!

Con Sarolas said:

As far as homages go, the pages above are from Nexus Magazine #3 by Baron and Rude, which was published 1982. Watchmen by Moore and Gibbons was published in 1986.
  • "And, Jeff, The Beano is very definitely a children's comic. It's not remotely underground!"

Oh, I believe you. I just made an (incorrect) assumption. 

This reply was deleted.