Jan. 31, 2012 -- The Associated Press released a photo today of the cover to the WatchmenTPB with the following information:

"In this image released by DC Entertainment, the cover of "Watchmen," a graphic novel, is shown. DC Entertainment is launching seven miniseries this summer that will focus on the characters made famous by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons in their 1986-987 12-issue maxi-series "Watchmen," which has gone on to become one of DC's best-selling graphic novels. (AP Photo/DC Entertainment)"

The Associated Press wire service has no stories attached to this photo as of 5:15 EST. I'll post more when I know more.

Views: 1091

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The obvious one is Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre's 'further adventures', although they would be simply 'wrong'.

They can't not make a Rorschach mini-series.  He is most people's favourite character and was one of the best things in the movie.  However, I'd be surprised if any writer gets that Moore wrote him as a pathetic figure of pity, or manages to get that central aspect of his character across.  Without that, Rorschach will just be another 'cool violent vigilante'.

Scuba Divers fighting giant mutated alien Octopi will be a sure thing, however.

Mutated octopi? Toss in a submarine and a giant clam and you could just swipe an old Robert Kanigher Wonder Woman script. Guest-starring Merboy and Bird-boy.

http://m.wired.com/underwire/2012/02/exclusive-before-watchmen/
The above link has the low down on the planned miniseries. I still think seven at once is overload but DC has A list talent on all seven books. They're all planned prequels. Rob, you nailed it with your Amanda Connor/ Silk Spectre call. My wallet is going to hate me this summer.

Captain Comics said:

Mutated octopi? Toss in a submarine and a giant clam and you could just swipe an old Robert Kanigher Wonder Woman script. Guest-starring Merboy and Bird-boy.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2012/02/01/watchmen-prequels-exclusive-det...
Here's more on it with the cover of Silk Spectre. 

I'll certainly buy the Darwyn Cooke ones.

First, DC seems to deliberately making sure that Alan Moore never works with them again.

Second, it would have to be prequels because of the Comedian and Rorschach. Possibly they could include the mystery of Hooded Justice.

Third, beyond empathy for Moore, hasn't it been long enough to take a second look at these characters from a different perspective. If anyone is offended by the notion, don't buy them! And if you buy them and you don't agree with them then they didn't really "happen"!

Fourth, I would like to see them from the beginnings of their careers when they weren't jaded, depressed or insane!

Those are some great creative teams. And Adam Hughes is drawing interiors again? That's something to celebrate, in and of itself! No wonder All-Star Wonder Woman is on hold!

Before Watchmen includes:

RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo
MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke
COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones
DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes
NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert
OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee
SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

Each week, a new issue will be released, and will feature a two-page back-up story called CURSE OF THE CRIMSON CORSAIR, written by original series editor Len Wein and with art by original series colorist John Higgins. There will also be a single issue, BEFORE WATCHMEN: EPILOGUE, featuring the work of various writers and artists, and a CRIMSON CORSAIR story by Wein and Higgins.

"The original series of 'Watchmen' is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC's reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire," said Dave Gibbons, "Watchmen" co-creator and original series artist.

"Comic books are perhaps the largest and longest running form of collaborative fiction," said DiDio and Lee. "Collaborative storytelling is what keeps these fictional universes current and relevant."

Of course, they should have done this before the movie came out!

But yeah, great teams but looks expensive!

Yeah, that's another reason I'm only buying the Cooke stuff.

It's not that there's great creative teams but that each team is  assigned to the project that shows their strengths. When I  saw the lineup I thought it was all no-brainer decisions. 

Rob Staeger said:

Those are some great creative teams. And Adam Hughes is drawing interiors again? That's something to celebrate, in and of itself! No wonder All-Star Wonder Woman is on hold!

Philip Portelli said:

First, DC seems to deliberately making sure that Alan Moore never works with them again.

Yeah, so? 

No dig at you, Philip; it's at Alan Moore. I have little sympathy for self-righteous cranks. As wonderful as Alan Moore's work is, it's not like he's the only comics writer in the world worth paying attention to.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service