Jan. 31, 2012 -- The Associated Press released a photo today of the cover to the WatchmenTPB with the following information:

"In this image released by DC Entertainment, the cover of "Watchmen," a graphic novel, is shown. DC Entertainment is launching seven miniseries this summer that will focus on the characters made famous by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons in their 1986-987 12-issue maxi-series "Watchmen," which has gone on to become one of DC's best-selling graphic novels. (AP Photo/DC Entertainment)"

The Associated Press wire service has no stories attached to this photo as of 5:15 EST. I'll post more when I know more.

Views: 1091

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I honestly don't think I've ever read anything by Wein. Most of his work was before my time (not an excuse). I think he'll do fine, though.

JMS's DC work hasn't hit me but the majority of his Amazing Spider-man run and his Rising Stars run were excellent. If he can channel the good out of those two series then we're in for a treat. He's got some good artists backing him up.

Travis Herrick said:

I'm interested in the Azzarello and Cooke books. I have some trepidation with the JMS and Wein series.

The way I figure it, anything strong and self-sufficient enough to not need a sequel...can certainly withstand a sequel. 

Thanks to the iPad, I will see the first couple of issues on it and decide whether to venture forth for the rest. 

I just do not know what they can say about these characters that I want to know.  They all have such bad endings for all manner of reasons knowing where they came from will not do much to the depth of our understanding of them. 

I believe the talk about being the greatest and being overrated can easily be applied to Alan Moore.  Some of his work is just so wonderfully executed and some of it is just shake your head and wonder where that came from. 

He surely does not have a monopoly on the characters, but I wonder if his finger prints are so placed on them that anyone can do much with them beyond what he did. 

My big question is why NOW? According to Dan Didio, "the time is right."

Really, to do a prequel to a 25-year old book?

I would argue that the RIGHT time would have been 2009, with the release of the Watchmen Movie.

Is there anything magical about 25 years in terms of copyrights? Like if they don't publish something new with the characters, the rights revert to Alan and Dave?

DneColt said:

Is there anything magical about 25 years in terms of copyrights? Like if they don't publish something new with the characters, the rights revert to Alan and Dave?

My understanding of Alan's Moore's deal with DC vis a vis Watchmen is that the rights revert to him if the book goes out of print -- and part of his disgruntlement with DC is that it has never gone out of print, which he sees as acting in bad faith.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The Watchmen doesn't need a sequel (or a prequel). It stands alone. Having said that, The Rocketeer didn't "need" a sequel, either, yet Rocketeer Adventures was one of the best mini-series of last year (one of my favorites, anyway). I'll definitely give the new Watchmen stuff a look.

Rob Staeger said:

The way I figure it, anything strong and self-sufficient enough to not need a sequel...can certainly withstand a sequel.

What does "need" have to do with anything? What does "need" even mean?

What is more relevant, at least to me, is: Do we want to see more stories about these characters? 

Since we all are here -- and that includes Alan Moore -- because we are at least accustomed to the idea of continued stories for characters, I can't accept the notion that more stories about any given characters or set of characters is automatically a bad thing. 

My understanding of Alan's Moore's deal with DC vis a vis Watchmen is that the rights revert to him if the book goes out of print -- and part of his disgruntlement with DC is that it has never gone out of print, which he sees as acting in bad faith.

How is this "bad faith"? Are they keeping it in print and/or selling it at a loss just to tick him off?

Honestly? I don't feel the need to see more stories about the characters. I don't wonder what the characters are doing now, or even what they did before the story. The world of Watchmen doesn't seem like a vast canvas with unexplored parts to me, so much as a vast canvas where some parts are more in-focus than others, to better direct the eye to what in the story is important. 

BUT... that's not to say the characters and the world aren't rich, and it's not to say that these talented creators won't be able to craft something worth reading around and about them. So while I didn't hunger for more stories about these characters, they're characters I like... and creators I like working on characters I like is a pretty good combination.

Then again, if Darwyn Cooke wanted to do an OGN about the final voyage of The Love Boat, I'd be there, too. Don't need more of 'em, but I'd follow him anywhere.

How about if he did one about the Watchmen on the Love Boat?

Gopher's Diary: "I have seen this boat's true face. And it fears me."

Awesome.

Very cool, Cap!

I just looked on wikiquote and found this from Dr. Manhattan: "I am tired of Earth, these people. I'm tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Substituent "The Pacific Princess" for Earth, and you've got a jaded Captain Stubing! He's even bald!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service