Welcome to the Mr. Silver Age Discussion Section!

I'm Craig Shutt, aka the "Mr. Silver Age" behind the Ask Mr. Silver Age column for the Comics Buyer's Guide. Captain Comics has generously offered up this space due to the ongoing troubles with maintaining a Forum over at CBG's site. I hope to continue the interesting historical discussions and wacky fun we’ve had there for many years.

Don’t let the “Silver Age” portion of the title confuse you: discussions here can range over any portion of comics history or even current comics that relate to ideas or stories from the past. If they were that restrictive, I wouldn't be able to post the cover I just did over to the left, which has been one of the favorites at the CBG Forum, don't ask me why.

There’s really no restriction on what we can talk about here, except that we must remain respectful of others’ opinions, even as we explain why they are dead wrong. In other words, just like Cap’s other sections.

Likewise, don’t take that “ask” portion of the CBG column literally.Certainly, questions are always welcome (and there are only a few dumb ones). But any topic someone wants to start a thread to discuss is fair game. Just like Cap’s other sections.

I  look forward to regathering the Legion of AMSA Fans at our new home and hope that you regular habitués of Cap’s Forum will quickly add this section to your regular haunts.

-- MSA

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, since you bring it up, Skipper, I haven't been able to get into the old site for a week or so.

Captain Comics said:

I don't see why Prince Ra-Man gets so much grief. Personally, I love his noodles.

A couple of things about art:

When you're first uploading/posting the art you have a number of options, some of which are illustrated. For example, there are four or five options for placement. "Full" stops the copy for the art, and resumes after the art. "Left" places the art on the left and wraps the type on the right side; "Right" places the art on the right and wraps type on the left. There are a couple of others; if you squint at the tiny illustration you can see what each button does.

Also, you can opt to have the art placed as a smaller size than you scanned, and put a thumbnail in your post that readers can expand to full size with a click. I do this with most of my covers; I scan (or size with Photoshop) 72dpi and 650p depth, but insert a thumbnail at 200 or 250, or whatever fits best. For the solicitations, the thumbnails are only 100p deep because that keeps them from overlapping with the next solicit.But with a click, you can see the full 650.

But the best part is this: If you're unhappy with how your art is sized -- say you discover that two are overlapping -- right-click on the art and a window pops up with EDIT and DELETE options. Click on Edit, and you can completely re-do all your options! This is a relatively recent tool, and one I use a lot. You can move your art within your post with a simple cut-and-paste.

There are two downsides to ning that I've discovered. One is that they have changed the blog tools three or four times now with no word of warning. Suddenly, one fine day, your options have changed and you have to learn how the new tools work. Fortunately the changes are never major or counter-intuitive -- just a weird, occasional stumbling block. And since the changes are nearly always for the better (like adding the EDIT function for art), I really can't complain. The other is that in some types of posts the responses are chronological, whereas in other kinds of posts they are the reverse. That's annoying, but hardly end of the world stuff.

Also, I should mention that we've only been at ning for a year or two. Our previous site, captaincomics.us, is still up in read-only -- and since I'm still paying for the storage, by all means take a look! There are bajillions of posts there on all sorts of topics.

Mr. Silver Age said:

The only question I have is why the Forums have replies listed in chronological order, which makes sense to me, whereas Blogs have them listed in reverse order, so the most recent are at the top. That takes some getting used to.

I think Rich has fixed this one. If you don't see a change, empty your cache and take another look.
The Baron said:
Actually, since you bring it up, Skipper, I haven't been able to get into the old site for a week or so.

Me, neither.
PowerBook Pete said:
Mr. Silver Age said:

The only question I have is why the Forums have replies listed in chronological order, which makes sense to me, whereas Blogs have them listed in reverse order, so the most recent are at the top. That takes some getting used to.

I think Rich has fixed this one. If you don't see a change, empty your cache and take another look.

Hey, great! I didn't know that was changed! Thanks, lots!

Now, I don't understand why there's a 15-minute edit function for posts on Forums, but no edit function on Blogs ...

Welcome, Mr. Silver Age.  It's a good thing to have a regular around here with the "Silver Age" appellation - and especially someone with your credentials!

But if they offer you an administrator or moderator role - be cautious... ;)

ELS

The Silver Age Fogey

x<]:o){

Now, I don't understand why there's a 15-minute edit function for posts on Forums, but no edit function on Blogs

That would be helpful for those of us who don't see our typos until they're posted. When that happens to me, I just copy the post, delete it, fix it and repost it. That works as long as nobody has come in beneath me to post, which would take my post out of order. That's not a big problem, but it might make a reference harder to connect.

BTW, the blog replies have been reversed for me now, with all of them saying they were posted "one day ago." I think that's way more logical, even if we do have to scroll back a few pages to find new stuff. Reading up from the bottom is just wrong.

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service