Music? What song? By whom?

Podcasts? Which ones? Who's on it?

The whir of your hard drive while you defrag?

Whatever you're listening to, share it with the Legion of Superfluous Heroes!

Views: 7341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

VENUS & MARS

On the night of July 12, Venus and Mars will be visible in an elegant conjunction just after sunset in the western sky. Venus will shine a bit brighter on the right, with Mars on the left. the slender crescent moon, just 9% illuminated, will hang above to the left.

A tune drifted into my head yesterday and I had no idea what it was or where it came from.

Lying in bed last night, unable to sleep, it finally came to me.

This is it: LEVI'S (HAW HAW)

I have no idea why this tune should randomly drift into my head after so many years.

While I'm at it, here's another favorite from that era: NESBITT'S ORANGE

Chaos and Creation In The Backyard - Paul McCartney. My favorite McCartney album of the 2000's and one that I rank among his best.

I saw Paul on the tour supporting this album - possibly the best concert I have ever attended. The set, which ran more than 2-1/2 hours, included several songs from this album.

I bought two albums today.

ALL THINGS MUST PASS (50th ANNIVERSARY):

This album (Harrison's best solo effort) was remastered long ago, but I already owned the album on both vinyl and CD, so I did not buy it. The 50th anniversary edition, however, strips all of the Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" (over)production off it. Wow.

FEEL FLOWS

This album was released just today. It is the albums Sunflower and Surf's Up, complete with previously unreleased bonus tracks. 

Both of these albums are available in multiple formats, multiple versions. I bought the basic version of both, but if you wanted a DVD or a hardcover book or additional discs, you could spend as much as you cared to. 

Is that "Wow" good or bad? Please elaborate. I own the original album on vinyl. How would you describe the "de-Spectorized" version in comparison.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I bought two albums today.

ALL THINGS MUST PASS (50th ANNIVERSARY):

This album (Harrison's best solo effort) was remastered long ago, but I already owned the album on both vinyl and CD, so I did not buy it. The 50th anniversary edition, however, strips all of the Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" (over)production off it. Wow.

I meant "Wow." as an understated "Wow!" In other words, I was blown away rather than underwhelmed. In other words, I liked it... a lot. So far, I must admit I have listened to only the first disc (of three), but I've heard enough to know what to expect from the rest. A couple of years ago, "stripped" versions of the Beatles' Let It Be) also produced by Phil Spector) and John Lennon's Double Fantasy were released. In the case of the latter, I haven't listened to the original version since. (To put that comment in perspective, I listen to the stripped version quite often.) If you're familiar with either of those, you have some idea of what to expect and whether or not you'll like it.

My original CD version divides the original release into two discs:14 tracks (through "All Things Must Pass") and 9 tracks. The 50th anniversary CD also divides the original release into two discs, but it's 9 tracks (through "Run of the Mill") and 14 ("Beware of Darkness" through the jams). The original two CDs are divided basically between "songs" and "jams" and I listen to one or the other (if not both) depending on what I'm in tot mood to listen to. The first disc of the new release is all songs, and the second is split between songs and jams. In the future, I suspect I will listen to the first disc of the original CD if I am in the mood for songs (14 tracks), and I will listen to the second disc of the 50th anniversary release if I am in the mood for a mix of songs and jams (also 14 tracks). 

BUT...! there's also a third CD composed of unreleased session outtakes and jams. The packaging mimics the original vinyl release, including the poster (which I never had because I bought my vinyl version used). All Things Must Pass is widely considered to be George Harrison's best solo work, and I can wholeheartedly recommend the 50th anniversary mix. It's available on vinyl, too, if you prefer. 

[BTW--I absolutely agree with your assessment of Chaos and Creation in the Backyard.]

Wow is right! I just listened to the first nine songs, the equivalent of disc one on the original vinyl, and the quality is outstanding. Some tracks like "Isn't It A Pity" and "If Not For You" sound exceptionally better than the "Spector-ized" versions. Can't wait to listen to the rest.

I finished listening to the 50th anniversary release of All Things Must Pass this morning. Although I prefer the way the songs of the original release are divided on my other CD, the "session outtakes and jams" CD of the new release alone makes it worth the purchase for me. In addition to the alternate versions one would expect are old standards such as "Wedding Bells (Are Breaking Up That Old Gang of Mine)," "Down to the River (Rocking Chair Jam)," George's solo version of "Get Back" (including vocal), and an early version of "Woman Don't You Cry for Me" (from 33 & 1/3). This reminds me of a CD of George Harrison's demos which came out a couple of years ago, as well as demo/alternate versions of Sgt. Pepper and The Beatles ("The White Album"). When I finished ATMP, I moved on to the demo version of the lost Smile album by the Beach Boys. 

Back in February of 2020, Tracy and I made the rounds of all 19 Half Price Books in the metroplex and I ended up buying dozens of new CD collections on clearance for my morning commute. I usually listen to audio dramas in my car during the winter months and music in the summer (for some reason), but just about the time the nice weather hit last year I lost my morning commute. This year, however, I've been plowing my way through all that music I bought in 2020 (far to many discs to even list here).

Yesterday we were listening to a disc that had some music from the '90s on it, and I pointed out that that was the first time I had actually heard a song by that particular group or artist. (That happened several times.) She said that's because I don't listen to new music. "But I buy new CDs all the time!" I protested. She said that I buy new albums from old artists I like. Although NPR has turned me on to some newer artists, there is some truth to what she says. 

Musta Got Lost (live) - J. Geils Band

Followed by

I'm a Boy (live) - The Who

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service