What are you reading?

The topic's as simple as its title: what comics are you reading these days?

I'm not so much curious about the going-back-to-stuff-from-the-past readings, although those are interesting; I'm wondering what books that are just hitting the stands my fellows are reading right now.

Just toss out a list, wax philosophical about why you're reading the books you are...whatever floats your boat. But let's get a look at those reading trends!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For my part, after dipping my toes back in slowly at first, I'm at a pretty solid (for me) list:

Alpha Flight — I'm grabbing this on the virtue of it being the writing team behind Incredible Hercules / Herc. So far, three issues in, it's...decent. I don't have much of a history with these characters, so it's entirely dependent on the story, which has yet to really knock my socks off. But I trust Pak and van Lente, so I'm sticking with the full mini-series (unless it starts to REALLY stink).

Amazing Spider-Man — This is a title I'd been looking forward to returning to. So far, it's enjoyable, but not quite the greatness I had hoped for a year ago when Dan Slott was announced as full-time writer. Slott tells good stories, but his characterization of Peter occasionally feels a little...off. I don't entirely get what this "Spider Island" thing that's coming up is, but I think that'll likely be the deciding point of whether I'm 100% on-board with Slott's Spider-Man or not.

Avengers — I'd been fortunate enough to keep up with this one in single-issue form as it came out, and I really liked the Bendis/Romita Jr. work of the first 12 issues. And now, as I start on it, it's all Fear Itself tie-ins which aren't all I'd come to enjoy from this book. Still and all, it's good, and I'm looking forward to what comes after this.

Daredevil — Just got issue 1 today; haven't had a chance to read it yet. But all signs point to good.

Dollhouse: Epitaphs — Picking up where the TV series (and, I believe, last year's one-shot) left off. This is a universe that I am definitely interested in exploring.

Dungeons & Dragons — Oh my, is this fun. Written by John Rogers — he of Blue Beetle and TV's Leverage — this is a terrific adventure into the world of D&D, which Andrea Di Vito draws BEAUTIFULLY. If you're at all interested in fantasy, or just a good adventure story, I highly recommend this one. (The first collection just came out, and it is GORGEOUS; even though I have most of the single issues, I'm very tempted to buy the hardcover it's so nice...)

Fear Itself — *sigh* Matt Fraction plus Stuart Immonen had me SOOO excited for this mini, and its premise is compelling, but the actual execution has been...lacking. My faith in Fraction's storytelling, plus the excellent art, keeps me coming back every month, but I've definitely lost most of the enthusiasm I had for this book.

Herc — Continuing the adventures of a now-mortal Hercules, this lacks some of the whimsical fun Incredible Hercules had, and I very much miss that, but I still enjoy the way Pak and van Lente characterize Herc, so I'm still in.

Heroes for Hire Abnett & Lanning writing a team book with a revolving cast? If I can't have me my Guardians of the Galaxy anymore, this can scratch that itch.

Journey Into Mystery — This and Dungeons & Dragons are two of my favorite books I'm reading right now. I wrote a bit about this a few days ago, but it only got one response, which makes me guess no one else here is reading it. To which I can only say, you really REALLY should be.

New Mutants — Abnett & Lanning writing a team book set in a vibrant corner of the Marvel universe? If I can't have my Guardians of the Galaxy anymore, this can scratch that itch.

Rasl — Technically. I just last week filled in the four issues that had passed since I stopped collecting, but haven't had a chance to read them yet, so I have nothing new to say about this book.

Red Wing — Picked up the first issue of this Johnathan Hickman-written miniseries on a whim last week, and I'm hooked! Futuristic fighter pilots in a time-travelling war against invading alien forces? Yes, please!

Uncanny X-Men — I liked Kieron Gillen's first arc, revisiting Whedon's Breakworld story; the Wolverine & Hope-starring stand-alone issue was also good. The first part of the Fear Itself tie-in felt a bit less...accessible. But I love Gillen's writing (see also: Journey Into Mystery), so I'm with this book at least until the reboot in a month or two.

X-Factor — I've missed, like, 15 issues of this series, so the status quo is just different enough from when I was reading it before that I'm not exactly sure what's going on. But coming back to this title nonetheless feels like coming home.

And then I've got more queued up for once they start:
    • Action Comics relaunch
    • Angel & Faith
    • Animal Man
    • Batman relaunch
    • Blue Beetle
    • Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 9
    • Mystic, the new Marvel/Crossgen mini
    • Rachel Rising, Terry Moore's new series
    • Swamp Thing

So that's what I'm reading!
  • I've been pursuaded by people on this site to consider "The Adventures of Kavileer and Clay" again, after checking it out of the library several years ago and stalling in the first chapter. Somet hing about somebody smoking in their NYC tentament and rolling their own cigaret out of butts.  Couldn't understand why this was of interest to the comic book fandom...

So, last week, I glanced over audible dot com and found that the highly praised book was on half-price spring cleaning sale, and could be had for less than 8 bucks. So, I ordered it from my wife's account and transferred it to my MP3 player which plugs into my car's auxilary jack so I can listen to it while driving.

I have to admit, I started to get into the tale of smuggling the Gollem out of Prague, but couldn't figure out what this book was about. I still had no connection to the world of comics yet, and it seemed to be going on and on about Jewish history and conditions, and frankly, I was drowning.

If not for the fact that I had bought the book, and that I still had a 45 minute commute yet to complete, I might have just dumped it right there...but now that we've caught up to "modern day" in 1938 or 39 or so, I'm starting to see a glimmer of hope about 4 chapters into the book.  This is a massive book, and I figure some 22 hours to read...7 hours per section of the book, so I'm not even half way through the first section, at about 3 hours into the book...

Damn I hope this picks up sometime soon.

Why does everyone praise this book so much?

• I mentioned this briefly somewhere else, but I am loving Jonathan Hickman's East of West. I know it's very much in its early stages, but this is fantastic work. It's definitely his most character-based work, in that the people in this actually seem to have personalities of their own.

Nick Dragotta's art really steps up a notch or four here. Check this out!

• Right now I'm reading through the last few trades of Scalped. I have one issue remaining in the eighth book (of ten). It's really heating up.

I've said it before, but this reminds me of a few big-time HBO series: Big Love, The Wire, and The Sopranos. Seriously, if HBO wants to make about four seasons out of this set of books? They have a great thing going on here.

• I just finished "Agness and the Hitman", a rather quirky mystery and romantic love story that my wife left on my MP3 player. The sex is hot, and the events intricate...but not entirely unpredictable. I enjoyed it.

Now, I'm working on "Charles Addams: A Cartoonist's Life"...

• I'm planning to read Frank Miller's Ronin tomorrow. I will let you know what I think.

When I bought this from the DCBS store in Fort Wayne last summer, the cashier and another guy said, "Oh, you've got some good reading ahead of you!" I'm finally going to get back around to reading it.

• 11xaWcr.gif

(I was sure people were contributing regularly to this thread ... oh, well. ... )

I'm very much liking the latest version of She-Hulk. I was very big on the identically titled She-Hulk from 2014 by Charles Soule and Javier Pulido, and this one begins in a similar vein: Jennifer has lost everything and is starting over as a lawyer. Rushing to her new job, Jennifer is confronted by Titania, who picks a fight just because ... really ... she's got nothing better to do. Jen tries to talk her out of it, but Titania won't back down, so they mix it up (after Jen kicks off her shoes and takes off her only suit because she doesn't want it ruined).

As they trade blows, Jen tells Titania she would be grateful to have what Titania has (a husband, her own home) and wouldn't throw it away, and admits she likes their occasional battles ("There aren't many people I can hit with a telephone pole without feeling guilty about it"). And while Titania is insistent that they fight to the end ("You know the rules: We're not done until one of us can't get up"), Jen persuades her to change the rules, and just meet up once a week to spar and blow off some steam.

Titania answers, "This isn't a trick? You aren't going to show up with cops?"

"As long as you're not wanted by the law."

"To your knowledge."

"To my knowledge."

With the punching/hitting/kicking stuff out of the way, Jen puts her clothes back on and arrives at her new job. It's with legal rival Mallory Book, who bluntly says she's not doing Jen any favors; this is so she won't have to face her in court.

Afterward, Jen meet up with Janet van Dyne, who generously lends her the use of one of her penthouse apartments, which she has done before.

The issue ends with a clifffhanger, and a mystery: the return of Jack of Hearts!

In issue 2, we are reminded that Jack flew into space in the Avengers: Disassembled storyline and exploded because of the buildup of radiation in his body. Somehow, he survived and was captured and placed in a chamber that kept collecting that radiation. Frustrated at being a prisoner -- again -- he busts out and makes his way back to Earth to find Jen, although he's fuzzy as to why.

This and the next few issues deal with Jen and Jack rekindling their friendship and her helping him figure out what he truly knows. As such, it's light on punching/hitting/kicking, which is fine by me. Writer Rainbow Rowell has a sure hand with characterization and dialogue. She's captured Janet van Dyne better in eight panels than I've seen in years. (Jennifer tells Jan she can't shop at Old Navy, and Jan says, "I get it. You don't want to get papped. You're keeping a low profile." Jennifer has to point out nothing is in her seven-foot size.) 

And artist Rogê Antoniô is great with personality and expression, in character faces and in posture and body language. Titania feels sorry for Jen and Jen feels sorry for herself, and both Titania and Jan offer Jennifer a loan, which she declines, and these exchanges are rendered with nice subtlety.

I have to admit I wondered a bit (no, a lot) why Jen is broke and starting over, but then I remember that ill-considered run from 2016 in which Jennifer was a gray rage-monster, and think, "Do I really need to know? No." I'm just going to enjoy this series.

• "(I was sure people were contributing regularly to this thread ... oh, well. ... )"

I'm not sure I understand...

What's the difference between this thread and the regular "What Comic Books Have You Read Today?" discussion?

• These two threads are currently used:

What Comic Books Have You Read Today? - Captain Comics (ning.com)

started in 2009

So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics) - Captain Com...

also started in 2009 

If I were you, I'd copy and paste the She-Hulk review into the top one.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

"(I was sure people were contributing regularly to this thread ... oh, well. ... )"

I'm not sure I understand...

What's the difference between this thread and the regular "What Comic Books Have You Read Today?" discussion?

The difference is, I didn't find the regular "What Comic Books Have You Read Today?" thread when I was looking for it. ratAA30.gif

Richard Willis said:

If I were you, I'd copy and paste the She-Hulk review into the top one.

That's what I'll do.

This reply was deleted.