Criminal Minds: "Amplification"

Views: 8814

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our hero Ralph Hinkley (who never did get a superhero name)....

During the series John Hinkley almost assassinated Ronald Reagan. The TV series started just calling their character Ralph as if he had no last name. That must have been a thrill for all of the innocent people named Hinkley.

JD DeLuzio said:

I'm finally catching up on The Man in the High Castle. It is compelling, well-acted, and brilliantly-directed. The scripts are occasionally uneven, but the premise holds (thus far, at least).

I haven't seen the series yet. I thought the premise was a little outlandish.* Is it really well done?

*The Axis win WWII. Japan takes over the western half of the U.S. and Germany takes over the eastern half (or all of North America?).

Richard Willis said:

Our hero Ralph Hinkley (who never did get a superhero name)....

During the series John Hinkley almost assassinated Ronald Reagan. The TV series started just calling their character Ralph as if he had no last name. That must have been a thrill for all of the innocent people named Hinkley.

Yeah. I always wondered: Suppose the shooter had a last name like "Miller" or "Cunningham" or "Hart" or "Carrington"? Would ABC have forced a name change on Barney Miller or Happy Days or Hart to Hart or Dynasty?

In terms of design and direction, it's stunning. The acting is mostly strong. As for the premise:  there is a lot of history (the assassination of Roosevelt in the 1930s, the Nazi development of the A-bomb) that led to the alternate ending of the war, in 1947. By 1962 to the Axis powers aren't especially getting along, and splinters and factions are developing in both empires. But yes, the end result has the east coast (and a bit more) as a part of the Greater Reich, the west coast under the rule of the Japanese Empire, and the center of North America as unoccupied territory. The SF element is strong however: film footage keeps turning up that shouldn't exist, showing other versions of the world, you know, where the war ended in a way more familiar to us. You go with it or you don't. I'm a little into season two, and the existence of the footage has not been fully explained yet.

I've read Philip K. Dick, but I haven't read the novel yet, from which they have adapted the series though, I'm told, "loosely." Ridley Scott has some history with excellent but very loose adaptations of Dick's work.

Richard Willis said:

JD DeLuzio said:

I'm finally catching up on The Man in the High Castle. It is compelling, well-acted, and brilliantly-directed. The scripts are occasionally uneven, but the premise holds (thus far, at least).

I haven't seen the series yet. I thought the premise was a little outlandish.* Is it really well done?

*The Axis win WWII. Japan takes over the western half of the U.S. and Germany takes over the eastern half (or all of North America?).

THE RIFLEMAN: We just moved from season one into season two.

BONANZA: We now have all of season four recorded (we're on episode nine); for my solo viewing, I have just finished season nine. 

BONANZA: We have all of seasons four and five recorded. Before Tracy left on her trip, we skipped ahead to watch "Journey Remembered" (S5, E8) and "Marie, My Love" (S4, E20). I'm midway through season 10 solo. 

AMERICAN EXPERIENCE: "American Oz" - the life of L Frank Baum. I'm about halfway through, and I'll recommend it, if you have two hours to watch it.

One of the things I want to get to in the next day or so.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

AMERICAN EXPERIENCE: "American Oz" - the life of L Frank Baum. I'm about halfway through, and I'll recommend it, if you have two hours to watch it.

HAPPY DAYS: I like the first season of Happy Days. (I'll admit it.) We bought it on DVD several years ago and watched it then, but not since. Tracy's not a fan, but with her out of town I'm watching it again. I think I like the first two seasons, but I don't remember when they switched from filming in a studio to filming before a live audience. I think that was season three. Happy Days taught me the word "nostalgia." When the show premiered, the '50s were 20 years in the past. I couldn't imagine anyone ever being nostalgic for the '70s, but I vowed at the time that if anyone made a show about the '70s in the '90s that i would watch it. And that's how I came to watch That '70s Show. When I was a kid, Ritchie was my POV character; now it's Howard. Erin Moran sure was cute at that age. It a shame what happened to her.

BONANZA: There's a new arrangement of the theme for season ten that sounds like it's played by a high school marching band. there's an recurring Italian family I've seen in three episodes now. I was looking through my dubbed VHS tapes for the recording I made of Wagner's Ring of the Nibelung off PBS. I didn't find it, but I did find the two Bonanza TV movies. The second was a reworking of the first, IIRC, not in the same continuity. Lorne Greene was supposed to have participated, but his failing health caused the first one to be continually rewritten as his health continued to decline, and the final result shows. the second was better than the first, but not much. I plan to watch them both again after I finish watching the entire series, but that won't be for a while yet. 

I remember watching Happy Days with my Dad. He was like, "This isn't the 50's. This is a mixture of stuff from the 40's to theb60's.

I'm starting to notice things about the production I never noticed before. For example, in the first episode, the drive-in was called "Arthur's." By the second episode it was "Arnold's" The third episode showed Arnold's but they referred to it as Arthur's in the script, and Potsie's cousin's name was Arnold. 

In all fairness, the first two seasons at least tried to take place in the 1950s. Quite a bit gets chucked out after that, and we're in some weird alternative universe.

The Baron said:

I remember watching Happy Days with my Dad. He was like, "This isn't the 50's. This is a mixture of stuff from the 40's to theb60's.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service