Criminal Minds: "Amplification"

Views: 10609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I learned a lot about George Carlin that I didn't previously know in part one and am looking forward to part two tonight. I went to see him once, at the Westport Playhouse in St. Louis. It was a triple bill with Elaine Boosler and Marsha Warfield. I am reminded that, when I was in the sixth grade variety show, I memorized a George Carlin stand-up routine (the one about "Indian Sergeants"). 

I'm adding the Carlin doc to my tobewatched list.

I thought you might, Richard. Part two got kind of dark toward the end. I'll share something about George Carlin many of you may not know unless you have seen him live. (I didn't know it until I saw him live.) There are some routines he is known for that have never appeared on any album or any HBO special or any recording of any kind (he explained), and that is, he does lots of material about his pets. Funny stuff, too, but unless you've seen a show in parson you might not know that.

When I was a kid, my brother had Toledo Window Box, Occupation: Foole and Class Clown on vinyl. He brought them home from college and that's how I fell in love with them. I bought an album myself called Take-Offs & Put-Ons which comprised a lot of his early, cleaner material. (That's where I learned the "Indian Sergeant" routine and the "Hippy-Dippy Weatherman" and much more. At our sixth grade "graduation" ceremony, when the teacher was handing out certificates for math and English and whatnot, the certificate she gave said that I had "excelled in as Class Comedian." I was really pleased with that (I still have it), and I was only a little disappointed that it didn't say "Class Clown." 

I don't have any of his comedy albums anymore, but I do have a "book on tape" of him reading Napalm & Silly Putty. I have all three of his books. I have read the first two twice each, but I've been holding the third in reserve for when I really,. really need it. That time may be near; I feel as if it's getting closer every day. 

The first George Carlin routine I remember hearing was "Al Sleet, your hippy-dippy weatherman with all the hippy-dippy weather, man".

"Tomorrow's high: whenever I get up."

"I wouldn't sweat the thunder showers."

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Tomorrow's high: whenever I get up."

I started watching this last night. It took me back to being ... I dunno, 13 or 14 and being at a party at a friend's house with "Class Clown" on the stereo in the background. Apart from the juvenile thrill of hearing an adult using dirty words in jokes, I remember feeling that I was listening to something that was just in a class by itself. A sort of artistry that I could sense even if I didn't completely understand it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The GCD agrees with you, Clark. And I'd just like to add that, though I've been sitting…"
19 minutes ago
Dennis Summers replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"I am completely looking forward to the Phantom Stranger Omnibus for all the same reasons as the…"
1 hour ago
Captain Comics replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"If I didn't say it, I definitely do want the Phantom Stranger Omnibus. I've actually got…"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the original
"That's what it's always sounded like to me. "
1 hour ago
Captain Comics replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the original
"I doubt I'm alone in not understanding the "wrapped up like a deuce" line in…"
1 hour ago
Captain Comics replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"I put the last six FCBD "green" titles on the FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2022 thread, which is…"
2 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the original
"Ha! That actually came up in an episode of King of Queens. Doug insists that it is "Reverend…"
2 hours ago
Commander Benson replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"Best television wife ever!"
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
"A roundup of coverage about This Is Us and its' finale, from TV Tattle, here."
3 hours ago
Fraser Sherman replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"Online reports say it's been pushed back to November to build up more preorders."
4 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
"I look at the last two episodes as the first and second half of the This Is Us series finale,…"
4 hours ago
Dennis Summers replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"Coincidentally, today I got an email from Tales of Wonder saying that the Phantom Stranger Omnibus…"
4 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service