Criminal Minds: "Amplification"

Views: 9133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's an interesting comment, Jeff. The title of Star Trek reflects the Wagon Train pitch, I think, but I've never been able to see how the pitch matched the show. (I'm hampered here by not having watched Wagon Train. I've seen the John Ford movie.) I've only seen a couple of issues of Voyage since I was a little kid, but by coincidence I just bought a DVD of the movie today.

I've had  "Middleman!"  in my head all week. 

Jeff Of Earth-J:

"Gene Roddenberry may have pitched Star Trek to NBC as an outer space western (a “wagon train to the stars,” as he put it), but it’s clear his writers were drawing inspiration from something other than westerns."

Sure. Apart from FORBIDDEN PLANET, you have things like how "Balance of Terror" is a blatent remake of the submarine flick THE ENEMY BELOW, and a major sub-plot of STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE is a redo of RUN SILENT, RUN DEEP (in that case, both films were directed by Robert Wise!!).  I always saw Gerry Anderson's STINGRAY as FIREBALL XL5 under the water, perhaps STAR TREK could be seen as VOYAGE in space.  The set up of STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN also mirrors VOYAGE, with the skinny Captain and the older (and frizzy-haired) Admiral looking over his shoulder.

Of course, I also tended to see STAR TREK (especially the first half-season, which Roddenberry produced himself) as being THE OUTER LIMITS in color with a regular cast & setting.  The tone was very similar (before ST became more "viewer-friendly" when Gene Coon took over), and a lot of the same people were involved behind-the-scenes.

The Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea movie is very different from the TV show… not better or worse, just different (the way the Doctor Who movies are “different” than the TV show).

The way I’ve heard Gene Roddenberry describe his pitch to NBC (on the Inside Star Trek record) is that “television was at the height of its love with the western,” so he pitched it as a TV western set in outer space. In the decades since, the story has been couched in more romantic terms.

Regarding sources of inspiration, I recall visiting my bother one time when the movie Anaconda was being shown on TV. I had never seen it before, but I was assured that it was “pretty good,” so we watched it. If you’ve never seen it, it is a blatant rip-off of Universal Studios’ The Creature from the Black Lagoon, with a giant snake instead of man-like monster. After we watched Anaconda, I went “down the hill” and rented Creature at their local video store. I’ll never forget my sister-in-law’s comment after we watched it and she realized my basis of comparison: “I can’t believe Hollywood would just copy like that!”

I've always thought the "Wagon Train to the stars" pitch was shorthand for "It's got a continuing cast of core characters, traveling though largely unexplored territories, meeting new people and new dangers each week, and largely cut off from outside help and support.  You know, just like that hit show Wagon Train ... but in space."

Doctor Hmmm? said:

I've always thought the "Wagon Train to the stars" pitch was shorthand for "It's got a continuing cast of core characters, traveling though largely unexplored territories, meeting new people and new dangers each week, and largely cut off from outside help and support. You know, just like that hit show Wagon Train... but in space."

Yeah. It's far easier to get the green light if you can say what you're doing is just like what somebody else already did ... even if it isn't.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Regarding sources of inspiration, I recall visiting my bother one time when the movie Anaconda was being shown on TV. I had never seen it before, but I was assured that it was “pretty good,” so we watched it. If you’ve never seen it, it is a blatant rip-off of Universal Studios’ The Creature from the Black Lagoon, with a giant snake instead of man-like monster. After we watched Anaconda, I went “down the hill” and rented Creature at their local video store. I’ll never forget my sister-in-law’s comment after we watched it and she realized my basis of comparison: “I can’t believe Hollywood would just copy like that!”

Don't let her see Barb Wire and Casablanca back to back ... or Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story ...

I'm watching The Social Network, and I found The Amazing Spider-Man in this movie! Don't even know the actor's name, but he's one of my favorites after ASM. The fact that he's in this movie makes him even cooler.

We finished season one of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on Sunday and began watching season two on Monday. Unfortunately, the end credits spoiled the flying sub for Tracy before it was introduced in the show itself.

Last night we watched the Christmas episode of the second season of the Monkees. It featured Butch Patrick (of The Munsters), the first time I’ve ever seen him without his make-up, but his voice is unmistakable. Both Tracy and I recognized him immediately. The Monkees sang an a cappella version of a Spanish Christmas song I had never heard before.

I started watching Season 2 of VttBotS (there must be a better acronym) this week myself.  Watch how long it takes them to realize they should have stuck with the Season 1 theme music.

Yeah, that new theme sucks.

How about simply "VBS"?

Reminds me of Vacation Bible School

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Yeah, that new theme sucks.

How about simply "VBS"?

Just for fun, watch "... And Five of Us Are Left" (Episode 3) and "The Cyborg" (Episode 4) and try to figure out what year this show is set in.  Then skip ahead 2 episodes to "The Deadliest Game" (Episode 7) and wait for your brain to start leaking out of your ears.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service