Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 58117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In my humble opinion, Future Quest was a lot better than many of the other DC-Hanna Barbera efforts.

Not sure why there hasn't been more HB appearances since, but I would love to see FQ continue as well as many of the other adventure characters/series like Space Ghost, the Herculoids, The Pirates of Dark Water, etc. as long as they're treated right and with respect like Future Quest did.

SERIAL #3: This series tells an over-aching story, but each issue (so far) can be read and appreciated individually. 

MAESTRO: WAR & PAX #4: Dr. Doom is thrown into the mix.

RORSCHACH #7: Characters this issue include Otto Binder, Wil Meyerson and Frank Miller.

AMAZING WORLD OF SUPERMAN: Although this is not a "treasury edition" I owned when I was little, I have seen it many, many times on the backissue market and comic shops over the year. The reason for its ready availability, I think, is the same reason why I never picked it up myself: no one wants it. It's really more a a black & white picture magazine, with a couple of comic book stories originally presented in color reprinted in black & white duo-tome. But, for some reason, DC decided to release it in hardcover and, for some reason, I decided to buy it. One thing I never knew about it (because I never did anything more than flip through it before) was that it was intended to promote a proposed Superman theme park in Metropolis, IL that never came to pass. It comes with an absolutely hideous wall poster. I appreciate this kind of kitsch more now than I would have in the past but, although it's not too expensive as these things go ($20), I really can't recommend it to anyone except the most diehard of Superman memorabilia collectors. 

I know it's a typo, but "over-aching" is a good description for many comics stories that I've read over the years.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

SERIAL #3: This series tells an over-aching story, but each issue (so far) can be read and appreciated individually. 

Every once in a while I'll throw in a typo on purpose just to see if anyone's paying attention.

(This wasn't one of those times.) 

Lee Houston, Junior said:

Not sure why there hasn't been more HB appearances since, but I would love to see FQ continue as well as many of the other adventure characters/series like Space Ghost, the Herculoids, The Pirates of Dark Water

I've never seen Pirates of Dark Water. When it was on TV Marvel published a 9-issue series. The first 6 issues adapted episodes of the TV show and the final 3 told a new story.

A Hammer film called The Pirates of Blood River came out in 1962. The cartoon's title has the same rhythm; perhaps it was modelled after the film's.

Pirates ran for one 13 episode season on ABC Saturday morning before they abandoned animated programming entirely. The series allegedly received an 8 episode second season as part of a syndicated revival attempt of The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera, but I have yet to see the latter.

Either way, the heroes' home world of Mer is threatened with destruction by the menacing Dark Water, the creation of an evil being known only as "The Dark Dweller", who wants to take over the mostly water planet.

It was as much an adventurous quest as a treasure hunt for the 13 jewels that would destroy the Dark Water and save Mer, but remains unfinished between the TV series and comics.

THOR #311:

Marvel Masterworks Thor v20 shipped today, coincidentally the day after the verdict in the George Floyd murder trial. In one of the stories, "Grief More Than a God May Bear," a white cop shoots a 13-year-old Black boy on suspicion of shoplifting. The comic book is cover-dated September of 1981, which means it was released in early summer, almost exactly 40 years ago. I'm not going to bother recapping the plot here because the chain of events is by now so very, very familiar. It is really quite shocking how little things have changed. If you are able, find a copy and see if you don't agree. 

I read the Skyward omnibus, and it was terrific. The Earth has lost gravity and Willa is on an adventure to restore it. Of course there are people who don't want it restored and they are out to stop her and her friends. Lots of twists and turns. It was really good, and quite the page turner. I really liked the art by Lee Garbett. I read all 15 issues and the epilogue in one sitting this afternoon. I liked it that much. I think this is also teen friendly.

SUPERMAN RED & BLUE #2: I read every issue of every "Superman" series for 40 years. sometimes I kind of miss 'em. This series helps scratch that itch. 

BATMAN VS. RA'S AL GHUL #6: Some artists' skills naturally decline with age. Neal Adams is not among that number. His writings remains... unique.

FLASH #769: Wally West's body is minning and his consciousness is bouncing from speedster to speedster throughout time. I've decided to let this title be my touchstone to the mainstream DCU for the duration of this storyline. 

HAHA #4: A clown shows up drunk to a kid's birthday party, but that's not what this issue-length story is about. That scene doesn't even appear. This story is about what happens next. Best issue so far. 

AVENGERS #246-248: Having recently completed the "Celestials Saga" in Thor, I moved on to a later story. I also re-read the "Eternals" back-up series from What If...? which I most recently read just a few weeks ago. One thing I'm not clear on: who founded the Eaternals' settlement on Saturn's moon Titan? Was it Uranos (brother of Chronos) or was it Alars (brother of Zuras)? It's unclear and could be interpreted either way. I even checked The History of the Marvel Universe, but that didn't address it either. NOTE: Uranos did go to Uranus first and discovered a Kree weapons depot, but he left it for Titan, leaving Astron to found the Uranian Titans responsible for Marvel Boy. 

"Missing"?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

FLASH #769: Wally West's body is minning and his consciousness is bouncing from speedster to speedster throughout time. I've decided to let this title be my touchstone to the mainstream DCU for the duration of this storyline. 

"Missing," yes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service