Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 58108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yeah, those Dark Horse books are tiny. I sometimes struggled with them when I was in my 20s.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

LONE WOLF & CUB: Inspired by The Mandalorian, I started a comprehensive re-read of Lone Wolf & Cub, but I may have to put it on hold until a get a new eyeglasses prescription.

Black of Heart #1-5 - This is a crime comic that take place in post-WWII New York City. A pair of drunken homicide detectives are on the hunt for a serial killer called the Vulture. Our "hero" has to deal with his sobriety, a cheating wife, a broken tooth, and pressure from his bosses and the media. This was a good series, but pretty dark. Including the art which makes it hard to follow at times, but perfectly appropriate to the story. What the killer does to the women is really horrific.

Spider-woman #`13 The whole issue has the amazing arachnid in travelling slugfests with various super adversaries that was fun to read.

Crossover #7 "They killed Chip Zdarsky!" I am so glad that there will be an 8th issue. This comic book fan is enjoying stories about breaking the fourth between fiction and what would be our reality.

Infinite Frontier # 2 - Director Bones, Cameron Chase and the Department of Extranormal Operations are getting into multiversal matters. Cooooool. The reappearance of the Multiversity Guideline comic book. It is an interesting start as Earth O tries a pre-emptive approach to handle incursions from alternate alternate realities and their earths.

HAHA #6: Answers (or at least addresses) the question, "What's the only sane response to a totally insane world?" (Have I missed an issue? Doesn't seem like I should be on #6 yet. Hmm...)

RORSCHACH #10: The investigation continues. this story is getting too in-depth to follow on a month-to-month basis. I may need to set the next two issues aside then read the whole thing from the beginning when it's complete.

LONE WOLF & CUB: After waiting five days for a call-back from the eye surgeon, we checked with our eye doctor when Tracy's new lenses came in only to discover that they never sent the paperwork over. AARGGH! Why do I expect people to be competent at their jobs? I should know better by now. But I digress. I decided to tough it out and proceeded into the next volume even though I'm having trouble reading it. There is generally one section in the middle of the story that lays out the theme.

It goes like this: Lone Wolf accepts a mysterious assignment; he undertakes the assignment; somewhere in the midst of it, he flashes back to the details; he completes the assignment. I have been a fan of LW&C ever since First Comics partially reprinted it in the '80s. When Dark Horse began a comprehensive reprint in 2000, I did a side-by-side comparison of the origin story and found the Dark Horse translation to be better (albeit easier on the eyes). I thought the episodes were largely standalone, and they are, but reading them back-to-back with no delay between volumes reveals a stronger story-to-story continuity than I remembered. Also, I'm not certain where I left off, but I never did complete reading the series. I'm looking forward to doing so now. 

BLUE & GOLD #1: One of my favorite series to come out of Countdown/52 was Booster Gold, but Flashpoint put the kibosh on that. Now, seven years later, Dan Jurgens returns to pick up the threads of the previous series not quite where he left off. In this one, a Justice League I barely recognize offers the Blue Beetle, but not Booster Gold, membership on the team.

LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #2-3: I liked #1, and when I saw #3 yesterday I realized I missed #2 and bought them both. The second issue begins with Batman saving the life of the Joker yet again, then segues into his first encounter with Quiz, the Riddler's protege. From there, the story continues to #3 with the Scarecrow and concludes. Despite the business of saving the Joker's life, this initial three-parter was not bad, a good launch.

SUPERGIRL: WOMAN OF TOMORROW #2: The story skips ahead a bit from the first issue's cliffhanger, then loops back to it at the end. It is narrated in a humorous, overly-wordy style by a secondary character. Enjoyable. 

Well, yesterday, but Superman and the Authority #1. An OK but not great "Elseworlds" type story.  I'm strongly leaning towards not following the rest of this.

SUPERMAN RED & BLUE: Five more timeless tales rendered in duo-tone by a variety of writers and artists. I'll miss this series when it's gone.

X-MEN LEGENDS #5: There was a time when Peter david was my favorite comic book writer, but I didn't read his X-Factor beyond the first couple of issues. The story told here lends itself to the format because the main story, about an invasion of the Latvarian Embassy, is told in flashback at a Congressional hearing (albeit weeks, not decades, ago). I'm not going to ruch out and buy an Epic X-Factor collection or anything, but I'll buy the next issue.

SECOND COMING: ONLY BEGOTTEN SON #3: More religious (Christian) philosophy backed with a short humor piece and an interview with Fred Harper, the artist of an upcoming AHOY! series. I can't decide whether it's a legit interview or if Harper wrote all the questions himself, but it doesn't really matter; I'll be buiying his series. There's also an ad for another AHOY! series that flew in beneath my radar. 

It's easy to miss new titles, etc, from Ahoy Comics, since they don't have the publicity machines of DC and Marvel.. I decided to have them send me newsletters. On the upper right corner of their home page you can subscribe to their newsletter.

https://comicsahoy.com/

Jeff of Earth-J said:

There's also an ad for another AHOY! series that flew in beneath my radar. 

That's a good idea. I'll do that.

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #1: I felt kind of obligated to read this one because it was my idea. that is, I had the same idea back in 1986, and someone else finally made it a reality. Around the time of Crisis on Infinite Earths, I thought if DC truly wanted generational heroes, they should have been introduced into that universe... as kids, so they'd be grown up and ready by the time DC needed to shake up continuity again (circa 2014, as it turned out). As it happened, a creator at a different publisher had pretty much the same idea and pulled it off much sooner than DC did, but I didn't find out about it until after the fact. 

I have kind of been following Superman's son, on and off, since he was first introduced during the "Convergence" crossover. No matter, really. The opening six pages (set "Then") completely supplant that version and take place in DC's new "everything happened" universe. The story is more philosophical than action-oriented, but that's okay for a first issue. Still, I would have liked to have seen an editorial explaining the raison d'etre of the series, but those have long since fallen out of favor. The art is rendered in that bland, generic modern style in which every comic looks like every other comic. Because it's not Superman but the son of Superman, it doesn't even bug me that he's dressed in the Romita, Jr. super-suit. Also, this version's twist on the familiar catch-phrase is, "Truth, Justice and a Better World." I'll give it a few more issues.

FLASH #771: As with Legends of the Dark Knight last week, I realized I missed #771 when I saw #772 on the shelf. I've been following this storyline, but I don't think I'll continue beyond the end of the story. This one involves more time/dimension hopping, and the "Legion of Doom" sequence is rendered by Kevin Maguire. then eand of the issue loops back to the beginning of Heroes in Crisis, but it also touts the 2021 Flash Annual ("In Two Weeks"), so I don't really know if this is the end of the story or not. If #772 is on sale I would assume the Annual should be out, but it wasn't in stock at my LCS (and I didn't ask). Does anyone know? And is it the conclusion to this "Speed Force" thing? 

LONE WOLF & CUB: Volume 3 was the last I completed before eye surgery, and 4 will be the first once I've recovered enough to resume reading. I still have four new comics from this week to be read, but I won't be able to for another few days yet. 

GROO MEETS TARZAN #1: I enjoyed Groo Meets Conan (with BWS on the Conan bits) and I expect to enjoy this one (with Tom Yeates on the Tarzan bits) as well. So far, there haven't been any "jam" pages (except for a single Yeates panel on an otherwise Aragones page), but that will increase with time. If you're wondering how Groo can interract with both Conan as well as Tarzan, repeat to yourself, "It's just a comic book, I should really just relax."

THE UNITED STATES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA #2: In #1, a super-speedster impersonating Captain America stole the real Cap's shield. Steve Rogers enlisted the aid of Sam Wilson, and they both set out in pursuit of "Captain America" as Captain(s) America. they soon encountered Aaron Fischer, a member of the "Captains Network," a loose affiliation of people protecting their communities under the mantle of captain America. In this issue they meets Michelle Wright, 22 year-old gymnast turned activist. In this issue, the speedster is revealed to be [SPOILER] Speed Demon. He is working with the Red Skull's daughter. [END SPOILER]

STAR TEK: YEAR FIVE #23: The smartest use of Gary Seven (not to mention the Tholians) that I have ever seen in comic books. WARNING: Renders all other non-canon appearances of Gary Seven EYKIW.

WONDER WOMAN: BLACK & GOLD #2: Same review as for Superman: Red & Blue above: "Five more timeless tales rendered in duo-tone by a variety of writers and artists. I'll miss this series when it's gone.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service