Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 50643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thankyou for that. I will look out for a cheap volume one but not too activly I think!

I Love this thread and forum. I took a recommendation for the close of the Thunderbolts series and have just read "The Great Escape" covering #163 - #168 which hooked me enough to seek out the next one.
See everyone, YOUR opinions DO matter!

Wandering Sensei: Emeritus said:

I thought the opening arc was okay, but then I dropped off for awhile. The opening several issues have art by Ryan Stegman and are very strong. I think you'll like the first few issues. Since then, the quality in the stories has gone down. I checked back in on the last issue, and was pretty appalled, as you can see above.

Some other reading:

Another graphic novel by Derek Kirk Kim, Good As Lilly, although he didn't draw this one; the art is by Jesse Hamm. As our story begins with our heroine, Grace Kwon, and life is good: She's a senior in high school who has already been accepted to college, she's acting in the senior play, and she's celebrating her 18th birthday with her best friends -- including Jeremy, who is sweet on her, but, unfortunately for him, is firmly trapped in The Friend Zone™. 

After the party, Grace realizes that she has Jeremy's birthday gift; while searching for it, she encounters a lost little girl ... and a young woman drowning ... and a wizened old woman who tries to help with the rescue. The four of them bicker with each other and then realize -- they're all her!

It's an intriguing mashup of It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol; and Quantum Leap, as none of them know why they are there or how they'll go back to where they belong. The 6-year-old Grace has issues with her parents, as she lives in the shadow of her two-years-older sister who died at age 8; 29-year-old Grace is afraid she won't find a guy, let alone someone as wonderful as the drama teacher, so she makes a play for him; and 70-year-old Grace just chain-smokes cigarettes and watches Antique Roadshow and Walker, Texas Ranger, wistful over missed chances. 29-year-old Grace and 70-year-old Grace won't tell 18-year-old Grace her future, but a big part of is making it better is ensuring this play happens -- which it didn't for them. 

This was for DC's young readers Minx imprint, and it's pretty good. 

Guardians of the Galaxy #5: This was the Marvel U "intro" (despite a panel or two in AoA) of Angela. That was far from the highlight for me, though. I really enjoyed seeing Tony Stark interact with Rocket Raccoon--watching Rocket show off his technology was especially cool. Also, I liked the relationship between Peter Quill and Mantis, as well as the awkward tension between Stark and Gamorra. Bendis has this story moving along pretty nicely, and Sara Pichelli just keeps getting better and better every time I see her work.

The Indestructible Hulk #11: I really like this artwork. I finally figured out what to compare it to. It reminds me a lot of Sean Murphy's art. This is a really good thing. It's not a clone by any means, but the scratchiness is somewhere between Murphy and Klaus Janson. Anyway, the story: Hulk has to deal with the timestream rifts that everyone has been creating with their time travel misadventures. He is sent, by SHIELD, along with his floating robot, into the past where he must confront more than he expected for this particular time period.

Uncanny X-Men #9: Personally, I feel kind of bad for the guy who makes gold balls fly out of his body. What I don't think they've ever said is just how dense these balls are, though. They say here that they're not real gold. But I wish we had an idea whether they're supposed to be more like bowling balls or beach balls. Anyway, that is more talk of balls than I had really planned on putting in here. Dazzler is a cool character (though this series is my first exposure). I do hope that this series goes somewhere instead of just the Cyclops X-Men showing up out of nowhere to snatch up some new mutants and then have a "tense talk-off" with whoever is there at the time. We've had our share of that by now. Come on, Bendis, take us somewhere! Love Bachalo's art.

X-Men #3: This wasn't bad at all. I didn't feel that it was quite as good as the first two issues, but that's okay. It wrapped up the story in a satisfying manner. They mention their "team that isn't really a team", which will allow this series to have a very loose line-up. Some of the new X-Men (but not The New X-Men) were there and had a little bit of a chance to shine: Bling, Pixie, and an unidentified kid whose hands oddly aren't attached to his arms. It had a happy ending, and it's kind of fun to see Jubilee back in the fold, as (much like Dazzler), she's just a character I've always known about, but had never actually read in action until this iteration of the title.

Today, while visiting my parents, my sister was showing me her old Gold Key issue of CINDERELLA (the only comic she ever kept). I had my own theories about the comic, but since my parents aren't connected to the internet, i had to wait to get home to confirm my suspicions. The Gold Key issue came out in 1965, but it was a reprint of a comic originally published as Dell FOUR COLOR 272 in 1950.

My sister's main beef with this comic is that Cinderella's ball gown is coloured pink in the comic, when it's blue in the actual Disney movie. I gave her a few theories why that could be, but she returned to the point that it's wrong. How could they get it wrong?

As well, the Prince is wearing a blue uniform at the ball. In the movie, my sister informs me, the uniform is white. This might go some way to explaining the colour difference. In the comic they probably didn't want to have the Prince in a whilte uniform--they wanted to give it colour and blue made the best sense. But then there would be no contrast if Cinderella was in blue, as well. That's just my theory. I'd like to see the original Dell issue, to find out if the colours are the same or not.

On the cover, as my sister informs me, the costume is pink but that's because this is one of the options that Cinderella is given in evening wear, but she doesn't go for the pink and takes the blue gown.

My sister is adamant that they got it wrong and that's just not right. No excuses will do. This is the same complaint we would often have about Gold Key and Dell comics, when we were kids. You can look right at the movie or the TV show and see how it should be, so why did the people making the comic get it wrong? 

...No vidos/DVDs/Internet posts , for 1 Plus they thought no doubt "It's for kids,they won't care!"...And,"use up all the olors of ink" in th'comick's printing process...

Jimmm Kelly said:

Today, while visiting my parents, my sister was showing me her old Gold Key issue of CINDERELLA (the only comic she ever kept). I had my own theories about the comic, but since my parents aren't connected to the internet, i had to wait to get home to confirm my suspicions. The Gold Key issue came out in 1965, but it was a reprint of a comic originally published as Dell FOUR COLOR 272 in 1950.

My sister's main beef with this comic is that Cinderella's ball gown is coloured pink in the comic, when it's blue in the actual Disney movie. I gave her a few theories why that could be, but she returned to the point that it's wrong. How could they get it wrong?

As well, the Prince is wearing a blue uniform at the ball. In the movie, my sister informs me, the uniform is white. This might go some way to explaining the colour difference. In the comic they probably didn't want to have the Prince in a whilte uniform--they wanted to give it colour and blue made the best sense. But then there would be no contrast if Cinderella was in blue, as well. That's just my theory. I'd like to see the original Dell issue, to find out if the colours are the same or not.

On the cover, as my sister informs me, the costume is pink but that's because this is one of the options that Cinderella is given in evening wear, but she doesn't go for the pink and takes the blue gown.

My sister is adamant that they got it wrong and that's just not right. No excuses will do. This is the same complaint we would often have about Gold Key and Dell comics, when we were kids. You can look right at the movie or the TV show and see how it should be, so why did the people making the comic get it wrong? 

I could see them getting it wrong the first time around, but this was actually the third time. I believe Dell/Western put it out every time Disnery released CINDERELLA in the theatres--which is why my sister wanted the comic, because she'd seen the movie in the theatre back then in its latest re-release.

It's occurred to me that the publishers didn't think it mattered. But given how long Dell/Western was in the business, you'd think they would've gotten the message that this was the ONE thing that mattered to little kids. We put up with a lot, but we expected the comics to look like the TV shows or the movies, that was the main reason for buying the comics--and it was our primary standard for judging whetther the comics were successes or failures.

Personally, though, I was more forgiving of colouring errors. My main beef was with the illustrations. But clearly for my sister, the colours were a big deal.

I read the trade "FF - Fantastic Faux" covering FF #4 -#8
By Fraction and Allred.
I guess it's fun - but I do wonder if it's a case of 'the Emperor's New Clothes' - because I have no real idea what's going on and why I should spend good money on this stuff!!? (Honestly - I WANT to love this but...?)

Since the first issue and not getting a good explanation of who the chick with the thing suit was, I haven't gone near it since then.

As far as I'm concerned, the only FF is the Fantastic Four, and that's the mag that I'm buying.

I feel kind of the same way with most issues of this. Every now and then, I will read a good one, though, and that's about the only reason I continue to pick it up each month. Still, that having been said, I'm a couple issues behind in reading it.

Mike Allred is a great artist, but his style is a little twisty-loopy for a title like this. Matt Fraction as a writer is hit or miss to the extreme. When he hits (Hawkeye, Iron Man), it's amazing. When he doesn't, it's just okay.

So this morning I read the latest issue of FF, which came out last week, I believe. (My pile of unread comics has grown pretty unwieldy, and I often get the release dates muddled after a few days...) This is one where the artwork was really strong, and didn't have any of the "preciousness" that is usually a part of Allred's artwork.

The story, however, did have a certain level of "inside baseball" to it, which I can't stand. I hate it when comics writers/artists/editors put themselves in a story even as extras, let alone as actual characters. I disliked it to a certain extent even when Grant Morrison famously did this in Animal Man. I really hope this doesn't bleed over into next issue.

However, I did enjoy the scenes between "Maximus the Mad" and the creepy children. I know I've said this before, but I am pretty creeped out by about 75% of those kids. But here, they were less so.

Also, I read Daredevil. The latest issue. This was a fantastic issue full of confusion, lies, and action. Loved it. Brought things to a somewhat-satisfying end, and leads into the next issue beautifully. Just as I didn't expect to see Daredevil in Hulk, I would never have expected to see this character show up in the mean streets where Matt Murdock makes his nest.

On your advice below Sensei-sir, I picked up[ and have just read the opening Scarlet Spider trade, covering #1-6 - and you are quite correct - i liked them , I'm very wary of hearing that the quality plummets but I may try the next trade at least - I have read (wrong order I know!) his part in the 'Minimum Carnage' crossover/trade - at what point does anyone suggest i get out.../ (I'm intrigued by the ongoing mysteries of who the Aracely character is etc at the moment...)

Wandering Sensei: Emeritus said:

I thought the opening arc was okay, but then I dropped off for awhile. The opening several issues have art by Ryan Stegman and are very strong. I think you'll like the first few issues. Since then, the quality in the stories has gone down. I checked back in on the last issue, and was pretty appalled, as you can see above.

Which has led to me buying the 'Spider-Island' trade today! (can't get more backwards order ?).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service