Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 64027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll tell you what put me in the mood for Death of the New Gods: the new Darkseid storyline in Justice League. Except for Final Crisis (oh... and Infinity Man and the Forever People), I haven't really read any Fourth World comics since Death of the New Gods (and that was seven years ago).

And, yes, I do have the deluxe hardcover of "The Great Darkness Saga." I gave my tpb away to an eager ten-year-old of my aquainance. It had a fold-out of the old Giffen LSH poster, but I figured our friends' kid needed it more than I did.

Yes! I love doing stuff like this and I'm glad to hear you do too. All too often I hear people say they are too possessive of their comics to give any away ever. I don't get it. Thanks for sharing the comic book love!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

And, yes, I do have the deluxe hardcover of "The Great Darkness Saga." I gave my tpb away to an eager ten-year-old of my aquainance. It had a fold-out of the old Giffen LSH poster, but I figured our friends' kid needed it more than I did.

I'm working my way through MMW Not Brand Echh! (pretty slowly at the rate of one story per sitting whenever the mood strikes me). Last night I read "Blunder Agents" (T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents) who fought the agents of Sheesh! (S.H.I.E.L.D.).

Come to think of it, that would have been a pretty cool intercompany crossover back inna day (if such things had existed.)

Wally Wood did a spot-on immitation of Wayne Boring in "Super-Duper-Man" for Mad back in the '50s; here Marie Severin demonstrates an equal talent for immitating Wally Wood!

In addition to Omega Men, which I mentioned in another thread, I also read Airboy #2. If you are a fan of the original Airboy comic book, even though I've never read it, I have to suggest that you would probably hate this book. I'm having some fun with it, because I see it as the descendant of the underground comix by creators like Ed Piskor, Harvey Pekar, Peter Bagge, Bob Fingerman, R. Crumb, and Johnny Ryan.

In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say that it reminds me a lot of the Buddy comics by Peter Bagge. I just realized how much this book has in common with those books.

I started reading Lazarus: The First Collection by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark. I read the first arc over a year ago, in electronic form. This collects the first two arcs (Issues #1-9) in a beautiful oversized hardcover. So I decided to start from the beginning and reread the first arc. Enjoying it just as much as the first time, and I'm looking forward to getting to the new stuff in the second arc.

Been reading a fair bit of 70's Detective Comics lately,it's good stuff.
Things that surprised me was Frank Robbins he doesn't get a lot of mentions in the whole Denny revamped Batman debates but he turns out some really solid stories many just as good as Dennys for me,

The other thing was the reprint back up strips from Gangbusters and others,really enjoyable in their way.

Roy Raymond TV Detective and Mysto are particular fun ones.

I read Batman Arkham Night #6. I know this is a video game tie-in book, but I'm going to go on record as saying that I enjoy this book in the same way that made Batman Adventures so good back in the 1990's. They are out of continuity, relatively self-contained stories (this one was part 2 of 2, but whatever), that are just good, basic Batman stories. Of course, these are a little darker than BA, but this one featured a pretty cool battle between Bane and Batman, with some great art by Ig Guara (looking different than the last time I saw his work) and it's written by Peter Tomasi.

Next up, I read Strange Fruit, which I only picked up when I saw Mark Waid and J.G. Jones as the creative team. It's a story of prejudice in the south, which collides with the Superman story. In this version, though, the fallen meteor contains a fully grown man who quickly learns who the bad guys are when he is taken for an escaped slave. This one moved along nicely. My one criticism would be that the artwork by J.G. Jones goes into the Alex Ross territory of painted-ness, which I always find to be very wooden for sequential art. That's probably just me, though.

Lastly, I read Earth 2 Society #2. I cannot say enough about the art on this book. It is incredible, and it won't be long before he is over at Marvel or Image unless DC can get him locked down ASAP. In the meantime, I'm going to love seeing Red Arrow, Huntress, Batman (jeez, you should see his Dick Grayson Batman), Jay Garrick, Sandman, etc. drawn by Jorge Jimenez. This book takes an interesting twist on who the bad guy is. I followed this book mainly because I have to admit I just really love the look of the Earth 2 Superman's costume, which led me into some great stories during this book's previous incarnation. Superman has only appeared in a panel or two so far in this series, but so far so good. My only critique: So far, this book has had little to no characterization. I trust that if I keep reading, this will change in an issue or two.

I read Star Trek/Green Lantern #1. That was pretty fun. In the future, the Lanterns have fallen on some hard times, and the rings (one from each color of the spectrum--yeah, it's more than just "Green" Lantern) each choose a member of the Enterprise crew to inhabit. Of course, modern day Hal Jordan somehow investigates.

Who got which color?

I read ST/GL, too (but I couldn't tell you who got which color). The "Rainbow Corps" doesn't exist on Earth-J, but I don't mind it here. (It's not the "real" crew; it's the rebooted crew.) The real crew got their turn earlier this year with a Planet of the Apes crossover. They had to bend over backwards to get the continuities to match, but it was a kick seeing Shatner's Kirk square off against Heston's Taylor.

This weekend I read the entire "Stone Tablet Saga" and its sequel, "Lifeline." I read more Not Brand Echh! as well as Onslaught: Reborn (don't ask).

Wandering Sensei said

In addition to Omega Men, which I mentioned in another thread, I also read Airboy #2. If you are a fan of the original Airboy comic book, even though I've never read it, I have to suggest that you would probably hate this book. I'm having some fun with it, because I see it as the descendant of the underground comix by creators like Ed Piskor, Harvey Pekar, Peter Bagge, Bob Fingerman, R. Crumb, and Johnny Ryan.

I read the first issue of Airboy, and found the story terrible. To much "Woe is me!"  from Robinson. Now I really liked Hinkle's art.

Started re-reading MMW Sub-Mariner last night in anticipation of the new Everett edition solicited for January release.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Ted Forth of Sally Forth directly addresses readers about the Lee Enterprises move in this…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"Orphan Trains Rescued New York's Homeless Children The Story"
1 hour ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"An early Kubert. From 1954."
7 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022
"And I just found out a few weeks ago that Behemoth Comics is in Richardson, TX a suburb of…"
7 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022
"I used to joke about looking forward to the day when there would be wrestling comics, because I…"
8 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
8 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022
"Homage alert! Did you forget something Tony? Going into battle without a helmet seems reckless.…"
9 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion Comical Comic Cuts
10 hours ago
Captain Comics posted a discussion

Comics Guide: Sept. 26-Oct. 2, 2022

<p style="clear: both;">BOOM!BRIAR #1…See More
10 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"One "good" sea monster deserves another. (Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)"
11 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion DC's Digital Backlist
"No word yet. Looks like it'll be Friday. "
11 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"This one was a treasured gem in my collection! "
12 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service