Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 54414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JeffCarter said:
Wish I could give you a comprehensive list, but the ones I've bought have been a couple of Vertigo Resurrected issues, both of them Hellblazers, a late 90's book called Chase, and an Aquaman one that also featured the Rob Liefeld Teen Titans story.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I read the Young Justice DC Comics Presents 96-pager , reprinting material from the late 90s .

The material was new to me . Has anyone else here read it , in either form ?

Could someone point me to a list of what's been in these new generation Giants so far , please , by the way ?

...Well , thank you for that :-) !

It's interesting now to see so many " pour the haterade " :-) on Liefeld , as popular as he was then...I remember that 2-issue TTs arc , while a bit of Lie. goes a long way with me , I guess , I rather enjoyed that story .

It's nice , anyway , that DC is trying cheaper reprints . :-)

Actually , you reminded me that , among some comics I bought from a bodega/little grocery from , generall , around the ealy 90s for , generally , a dollar each (Probably too much by comics-shop standards , I suppose.)...I read the Lifeld-drawn and -plotted X-Force #3 , which I don't think I had ever read before !!!

I believe it sets up a crossover to the MacFarlane Spider-Man title , involving one - just one - of the World Trade Center's towers being blown up - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - which probably , I should say , makes it an unlikely candidate for reprinting nowadays !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not absolutely sure that it was today , but I read DC's Congorilla And Starman #1 - Um , so the blue , gay , guy s Starman ?

And , now that we can have gay characters , they all have to be sluts ? ( Okay , okay , okay...he was reacting to his lover's death . Comic books are, generally , about exceptional physical specimins anyway , I realize . )

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I read the Young Justice DC Comics Presents 96-pager , reprinting material from the late 90s .

Could someone point me to a list of what's been in these new generation Giants so far , please , by the way ?

The 2011 revival section at the bottom of this wikipage lists most of them.

Also look out for 'Vertigo Resurrected' books in a similar format, if you are interested in the magic and the creepiness.

I got and read the Young Justice origin story 'World without Grown-Ups'. Is that the one you are talking about? I hope to comment on it when we get to that point in the ongoing JLA reading thread elsewhere.

I just finished Book Two and Book Three of The Waiting Game, collections of an early 2000s black and white title written by Sean Kelley McKeever, with art by Mike Norton. 

It focuses on a group of teenagers in a small town called Northern Plains, which is seemingly a stone's throw from Frostbite Falls, Minn. At least, everything there is cold, snowy and overcast. Worse, there's a pall of despair over everything and everybody, because everyone there is either a George Bailey, who want to get away and see the world and find their destiny anywhere as long is it isn't there, or an Archie Bunker, who have accepted that this is all there is to life and are fully trapped and resent it. There's no middle ground; either everyone is a thug or redneck or bully who preys on other people or they're the people who get preyed upon.

It's enjoyable to the extent that you can say to yourself, "At least I'm not as bad off as they are," but otherwise, it's pretty depressing.

Figserello said:
Emerkeith Davyjack said:

The 2011 revival section at the bottom of this wikipage lists most of them.

Figs, your link seems to be broken. You do appear to correctly identify the source material, though; ComicBookDB tells me that issue one of DC Comics Presents Young Justice collects the two-part JLA: World Without Grown-Ups mini from '98 by Dezago, McKone, and Ramos. That wasn't nearly as good as the Peter David/Todd Nauck Young Justice series that followed it, but it was fun enough.

ClarkKent_DC said:
I just finished Book Two and Book Three of The Waiting Game, collections of an early 2000s black and white title written by Sean Kelley McKeever, with art by Mike Norton.

Boy, I haven't thought of that book in forever. I read it as a monthly (for the most part), and recall really enjoying it. I can see it being a little more bleak if read all in one chunk, though...

I've read a bit of stuff recently: Kyle Baker's Why I Hate Saturn, finally finished the Wednesday Comics collection (only had the Flash, Demon & Catwoman, and Hawkman stories left), Mike Carey and John Bolton's The Sandman Presents: The Furies OGN, Jeff Lemiere's Essex County vol. 1, and the first issue of Mike Carey and Glenn Fabry's adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.
  • Why I Hate Saturn was good, in that it was a well-told story and didn't just (or at all) go where I expected it to. I wouldn't have minded a bit of exploration of where exactly Laura's whole "Queen of the Leather Astro-Girls of Saturn" thing came from, but really, the fact that it's just kind of there with no real explanation is the more entertaining storytelling choice.
  • I don't have a lot to say about the various Wednesday Comics strips I read: they were full of twists and turns in the way that a good collection of one-page strips should be, and the art was pretty across-the-board beautiful for these last strips. Kyle Baker's Hawkman was a standout for me, just in the way that it put our character in lots of different situations across the 12 pages — rescuing a hijacked plane, fighting an alien in free-fall, stranded on a desert island, fighting a dinosaur...good stuff.
  • I'm not the biggest fan of John Bolton's art (I don't hate it or anything, I just don't have a strong draw to painted, realistic character designs in my comics), but I think it worked well in The Furies. Of the various Sandman quasi-sequel spinoffs that have come out since Sandman ended, this is I think one of the ones that most effectively served as an epilogue for that series. Sandman was, after all, in many ways about Lyta Hall as much as any character short of Morpheus himself, and this gave some good closure to her character.
  • I loved loved LOVED Essex County. I don't know what else to say about it beyond that. Loved.
  • And then we come to Neverwhere. When it originally came out, I was at first intrigued, but then passed on it based pretty much solely on the cover: Fabry's design of Door was way too comic book superhero-y, and didn't match the sense of "a whole other world happening right under our noses" that Gaiman's novel and the BBC mini suggest. Diving into the TPB, my concerns were well-founded; although the art isn't objectively bad, but Fabry just is NOT communicating the story that exists in my head, and that's making it slow-going through the book.
I read White Death which was a World War I story about armies deliberately setting off avalanches in the mountains to kill their enemies. Really good.

...I cimpleted an XXX comic book titled HARD TO SWALLOW #3 , dated 2007 I , to my suprise , saw ! :-O

It's 64 pages , B&W , w/a Prestige Format binding...Was this even released to the comics shop world ?

I recently saw that Diamond dropped the seperate mini-listing w/their catalog spotlighting X/" adult " material . How has that affected comics shop carring of such material ?

As well as the " more mild " " mature " material which many comics shops treat as XXX as well , or similar to it...My recent , former , comics shop put " 18+ Only " bags and stickers on Vertigo ( and Marvel's equivalent line whose ne Max?? ) comics .

Also , from those " bodega comics " I mentioned , I read UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN #18 .

Now that Al Williamson's gone , seeng him as inker on the comic made me " notice it more "...In his later years , when he concentrated on inking , I'm not sure how much a " style " I noticed his inking as having...???

I am with you on both these counts, Alan. I was pleasantly surprised by The Furies. I read it after I had finished reading the Sandman series, and it did put a nice cap on the story of Lyta Hall.I'm a big sucker for the Daniel version of Morpheus, too.

You know, speaking of this, you may or may not know the real answer, but I've heard of God Save the Queen as having been an intended as yet another, probably more tangentially related, Sandman spin-off OGN. I've owned this book for a few years now, but I still haven't found the proper time to sit down and read it. I say "speaking of this" because John Bolton did the art for both.

And there is nothing more that can be said about Essex County, is there? Great book, and it's easy to see what it's one of Canada's top ten "must read" books. Even if it is a little bleak, it's still some great storytelling.

• I'm not the biggest fan of John Bolton's art (I don't hate it or anything, I just don't have a strong draw to painted, realistic character designs in my comics), but I think it worked well in The Furies. Of the various Sandman quasi-sequel spinoffs that have come out since Sandman ended, this is I think one of the ones that most effectively served as an epilogue for that series. Sandman was, after all, in many ways about Lyta Hall as much as any character short of Morpheus himself, and this gave some good closure to her character.
  • I loved loved LOVED Essex County. I don't know what else to say about it beyond that. Loved.
JeffCarter said:
You know, speaking of this, you may or may not know the real answer, but I've heard of God Save the Queen as having been an intended as yet another, probably more tangentially related, Sandman spin-off OGN. I've owned this book for a few years now, but I still haven't found the proper time to sit down and read it. I say "speaking of this" because John Bolton did the art for both.

I actually hadn't heard of God Save the Queen before now. A bit of research, though, tells me you seem to be right about the Sandman connection:
Wikipedia says:
it is based on the characters seen in The Sandman, The Dreaming and The Books of Magic

It definitely looks to be only tangentially related, which may be part of why they didn't brand it as such. You'll have to let me know how it is!
I've never really thought he deserved all of the vitriol he has received over the years either. I like how cheerful he always seems to be in comic convention coverage and in interviews and stuff like that. I like to think he's a great guy. Like you, I enjoyed the Gail Simone/Rob Liefeld story.

It's interesting now to see so many " pour the haterade " :-) on Liefeld , as popular as he was then...I remember that 2-issue TTs arc , while a bit of Lie. goes a long way with me , I guess , I rather enjoyed that story .

Well now I have some motivation to pull that one down off the shelf! We have another snow day tomorrow. Might have to crack this one open.

Alan M. said:
JeffCarter said:

I actually hadn't heard of God Save the Queen before now. A bit of research, though, tells me you seem to be right about the Sandman connection:
Wikipedia says:
it is based on the characters seen in The Sandman, The Dreaming and The Books of Magic

It definitely looks to be only tangentially related, which may be part of why they didn't brand it as such. You'll have to let me know how it is!

I read the latest Hellboy issue (#2 of "The Dead and the Dying [?]). It's everything I want from a Hellboy book. For some reason I love it when Hellboy investigates stuff, is in no real danger, and just clobbers monsters in some way. I love the eeriness of the woman and the cat and the house. Such good stuff. And really, you can put a Hellboy story anywhere in the last sixty years and it comes off great.

I love two-hour delays!

Half of Fables Vol. 14: Witches. I liked "Boxing Days," the two-issue arc describing how Mr. Dark was captured by the Empire. There are lots more flashback stories that could be told like this.

Back in 1995, Vertigo published a four-issue miniseries called Millennium Fever by Nick Abadzis & Duncan Fegredo. On the face of it, it's a fairly straightforward romantic comedy. But at the end of the second issue Maiya, the mysterious woman our protagonist Jerome met through a personal ad, has apparently changed into a man overnight. I suspect things will get stranger before the end. Fegredo's art is gorgeous, and Abadzis created a cast of very believable characters.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service