Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 47486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Air Wave is back? Fantastic! 

Yesterday I read Swamp Thing Giants #5 & 6.  The new Swampy story, written by Tim Seely (with art by Steve Pugh, then Aaron Lopresti) is engaging and fun -- Swamp Thing as spooky adventure more than horror. The New 52 Animal Man and Swamp Thing comics it reprints go much more strongly into horror. I hadn't read the Animal Man series before this -- it's seriously gross. And then there's Shadowpact,  supernatural adventure-comedy. It's fun...and it's easier to see in hindsight how writer Bill Willingham's conservative POV made him a fresh voice in comics. (I winced at a small anti-media rant Enchantress goes on, but Willingham's interest in who owns the Oblivion Bar is a good demonstration of what he brings to the table... and he resurrects a one-shot character from an old Batman story, to boot!) 

MMW DAREDEVIL v11: Man, that was a slog.

Back in the days when I was actively building my backissue collection, I collected in three directions: from the present forward, from the present back, and from the beginning forward. By the time I left college, I had completed my collections of every major Marvel series except four. Those holes have now largely been filled with Marvel Masterworks. Daredevil is one such series, but I have discovered that the individual issues I left uncollected aren’t ones I’m particularly interested in in the first place.

This volume collects issues #108-119 plus Marvel Two-In-One #3, written by Steve Gerber (mostly) and drawn by Bob Brown (mostly). In #108, Daredevil returns to NYC and fights the Beetle, and Foggy is shot. DD and Moondragon discuss their feelings for each other. Issue #109 features Nekra, and shanna “The She-Devil” O’Hara appears on the last page. Then the story crosses over into MTIO #3 featuring Man-Thing. (While Gerber was writing MTIO, he crossed over with other series he was writing quite a bit: Adventure into Fear, Daredevil, Defenders, etc.)

#110-112 is a three-parter featuring the origin of Mandrill and Nekra (from Gerber’s Shanna the She-Devil) and the Silver Samurai. This MMW does not reprint the Shanna series, but MMW Ka-Zar (which I hope to get around to before too long) does. Gene Colan fills in on #110. #113-115 is another three-parter, featuring the gladiator, Man-thing and Death-Stalker. (I’d previously read some of these as backissues, led there by Frank Miller’s run).

DD is back in SFO in #116 fighting the Owl. Gene Colan is back, too, but his inker is Vince Collletta, not Tom Palmer. In #117, DD and Black Widow break up, but not for good. #119 is the first issue of Tony Isabella’s short run, and I find myself looking forward to the next volume more than I enjoyed this one.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #1: Take a family dynamic from the ‘60s (the Jordans), a super-hero from the ‘70s (Airwave), and art style from the ‘90s and mix liberally with grant Morrison. For good or ill, the result is probably almost exactly what you would expect.

It was cool to see Airwave again, but the art was just horrific.

I got the trade of The Flintstones, issues #7-12. There's some chatter about the title over here. 

I didn't like it. I don't think it was bad; it's pretty well written and certainly well drawn. But it's not "The Flintstones"; it's other characters using those names to tell the story the writer wants to tell about disaffected losers adrift in society, wondering "Is this all there is?" 

I don't know if I would have read a comic telling that story; I might have. But I was expecting The Flintstones and I didn't get it, which disappointed me.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

DD is back in SFO in #116 fighting the Owl. 

You're using an airport code for a city name? If he went to Dallas would you say DFW?

Whoops.I am an airline analyst by trade; I think in airport codes. I often subsitute codes for city names, but I usually catch and them either before or just after I post. This one slipped by. Yes, San Francisco.

We folks over here is ISP still love ya, Jeff!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Whoops.I am an airline analyst by trade; I think in airport codes. I often subsitute codes for city names, but I usually catch and them either before or just after I post. This one slipped by. Yes, San Francisco.

IMMORTAL HULK #22: This issue accounts for Fantastic Four #12 in continuity.

GREEN LANTERN #12: The cover blurb pretty much says it all: “12 Parallel Worlds! 12 Green Lanterns!” What else do you need to know? Oh, yeah: “By Grant Morrison.”

HOUSE OF X #2: Will post comments to the discussion dedicated to “Hickman’s X-Men Project.”

HASHTAG: DANGER #4: A wonky time travel story. I always enjoy this title more than I think I will. My favorite of the AHOY! Comics titles.

LOIS LANE #2: DNR. (Did Not Read.)

DICK TRACY v26 (1970-1972): Hey, this is where I came in! Sort of. I remember the Pouch/Mole continuity from early 1971, but I didn’t start reading DT regularly at that time. I must have been looking at it, but only reading the strips (Sundays) that caught my eye. I remember seeing the character “Peanutbutter” (from later in this volume), but I didn’t read his story.

I’ve read a lot of DT over the years and I’ve read a lot about DT, but I’ve never read anything about Chester Gould’s obvious inspiration for the character “Pouch,” so I won’t say anything about it here, either.

Whenever I read a continuity strip collection, it occurs to me I should always have one in rotation. (I certainly have enough.) I took an unplanned break from Little Orphan Annie in March, but it’s now been five months and I should be getting back to it.

Yeah, you should.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I took an unplanned break from Little Orphan Annie in March, but it’s now been five months and I should be getting back to it.

Jane Foster Valkyrie #1: I have really mixed feeling about this one. Jane as this strong character is great and her motivation is touching and pivotal. But I still feel that this is another Marvel "demotion" like the Falcon and Ironheart. I'm not crazy about her new look and they gave her more powers than the Defenders' Valkyrie ever shown but she was THOR! 

And with the news that Lady Thor will appear in the next Thor film, will they keep her as Valkyrie for awhile, turn her back into Thor when the movie comes out then revert back to Valkyrie?

And why not a Lady Thor book? No one confused Hulk for She-Hulk or Spider-Man with Spider-Woman.

The Batman by Neal Adams vol. 2 - This takes us from the 60s to the 70s. These are mostly Detective Comics and includes the introduction of Man-Bat. It also has a couple of issues of Brave and Bold , and includes an odd one with the House of Mystery. A pretty fun read, and it is amazing how well Neal Adams' art really holds up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service