Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 47457

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason from Jason’s Quest in Showcase

Super-hip

Scooter, of course

And I think in the Inferior Five’s intro, Leander Brent (Awkwardman) is shown playing the bongos at a beach party, but I may be misremembering that.

The Sentinels from Charlton

I believe at the end of the Silver Age when the Metal Men had human identities that Lead and Tin were folk musicians.

Jimmy

Folk musicians? You'd think Lead, at least, would be into heavy metal.

Dave Palmer said:

I believe at the end of the Silver Age when the Metal Men had human identities that Lead and Tin were folk musicians.

And great selections, Dave! I wasn't aware of a lot of these... and had never even heard of the Sentinels!

The Sentinels began their brief history in 1966, the same year as another pop-band turned superhero team:

DC probably owns both now, so they could meet....

Dave Palmer said:

The Sentinels from Charlton

Y'know, I always thought the Taskmaster could have been a phenomenal musician, but he instead chose a life of crime. If he'd been a character in the Astro City universe, that's what he might have done. 

I read a trade paperback collection of Made Men: Getting the Gang Back Together, a five-issue series from Oni Press. As the story begins, a squad of Detroit police detectives are ambushed and shot dead. The last holdout is Jutte Shelley, who in that moment -- as the members her team are dead, maimed or bleeding out -- embraces her destiny.

See, her true name isn't "Shelley," it's Frankenstein. And she knows all the secrets of her famous great-uncle Victor, and those of her not-famous-at-all grandmother, who actually is more advanced in the sinister arts of rejuvenating bodies. 

Jutte appeals to a benefactor -- a connected mob boss who needs a favor -- and uses those skills to revivify herself and her team, to varying levels of success. Then they go after the bad guys who set them up, and set themselves up as do-gooders fixing wrongs, like the A-Team.

It's a weird mix of cop drama, gothic horror and murder mystery, and I don't think it quite hangs together. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service