Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 56807

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Banana Splits people weren't good with names. There were five bullies in the show that were all named Charlie.

Tokyo Ghost Volume Two: Come Join Us

Rick Remender, writer; Sean Murphy, artist; Matt Hollingsworth, colors.

Image Comics, 2016

I believe Tokyo Ghost was originally intended to be an ongoing series, but it was cut short by Sean Murphy's exclusive contract with DC Comics. This trade collects issues #6-10 of what became a limited series. The first collection concluded with the destruction of the Garden Nation of Japan, a natural oasis in a polluted, technology-obsessed world. Constable Led Dent had been manipulated into causing the disaster, and now he has returned to the Isles of Los Angeles, haunted by memories. But a person calling themselves the Tokyo Ghost has arrived to rally resistance against the selfish, entitled super-rich. There are more lurid fight scenes, but the last one is really a doozy. It's literally a battle to save the entire human race from mass suicide at the hands of Davey, the "body pirate" who can control everyone via their embedded nanotechnology. There's an idyllic aftermath, but there may still be a remaining cybernetic snake in the garden... The creators have said they might return to this world, and they did leave a small doorway back in. But I have to say that this really looks like a grand conclusion.

Davey the pirate? As in Jones? Was he putting suicides in his locker?

Richard Willis said:

I just finished reading Warren Ellis' Frankenstein's Womb. The art was perfect for the story. I enjoyed it very much. It inspired me to read a little about Mary Shelley's life. Her entire extended family was amazingly ahead of its time. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Cool! Be sure to let me know what you think.

I'm glad you liked it.

This morning I read The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew: The Big Lie #1 from Dynamite. I loved it! I would definitely compare this to the "Archie-ization" of a property, although I haven't read anything of the characters since I was in grade school (and even then, I never would have ever touched a gross Nancy Drew book!). But this is a much updated and grimmer version of the characters. I liked how they included the Bobbsey Twins and Tom Swift in the story as well. The boys have been accused of killing their father, and Nancy Drew seems to know how to solve the problem. I can't wait to read the next one.

The League of Extraordinary Young People?

It makes me think of the "Nancy Clue" books from many years back, which mines the stories for homoerotic elements. She crossed over with versions of the Hardy Boys and Cherry Ames.

I've always thought the Scooby Gang should meet these characters.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

version of the characters. I liked how they included the Bobbsey Twins and Tom Swift in the story as well. The boys have been accused of killing their father, and Nancy Drew seems to know how to solve the problem. I can't wait to read the next one.

Kind of, but the Bobbseys and Tom weren't really important to the story. They were more like background characters or supporting at best.

JD DeLuzio said:

Royal City #1: This comes from Jeff Lemire (story and art) and was published by Image. Lemire says in his backup that this is a follow-up of sorts to Essex County. It definitely has the same feel. The story revolves around a family who comes together after their dad has a stroke. That's about all you really need to know to understand what this book is about, but because it's Lemire in full-Essex mode, you know it's densely packed, and you may need to go for a walk in the sunshine after you're finished with it to avoid the inevitable sadness that comes along with it.

Extremity #1-2: Daniel Warren Johnson gives us a story about a feudal-istic society of floating islands, kings, revenge, violence, and a girl who has had her right hand cut off by a dictator. One thing I like about this book is that you don't really have a good guy or a bad guy; they're pretty much all bad. The main draw on this for me is the artwork of Daniel Warren Johnson. It's very gritty and grimy and detailed. It reminds me of Kyle Strahm on Spread.

God Country #2-3: This is another sweet surprise from yet another creative team that I knew nothing about. Donny Cates writes and Geoff Shaw draws. If you haven't checked this one out, I highly recommend it. It's about who has been afflicted with Alzheimer's disease, but when he receives an incredibly large mystical sword, his brain is fixed. In these issues, he is approached by a sentry from the sword's rightful owner who wants it back. The only catch is, if he gives it up, he will go back to how he was, memory loss and all--which means he won't remember his family anymore. This is a really great book, and the art looks familiar, but I can't place it. It is incredible, though. That's all I can say.

Suicide Squad/Banana Splits #1: I liked this! It was seriously fun. Tony Bedard writes and Ben Caldwell (Prez) draws this book. When the Suicide Squad is incapacitated, Amanda Waller calls in the latest detainees of Belle Reeve, the Banana Splits. They team up, put a stop to some little girl robots, and start a new direction for the Banana Splits band in the end. I thought it was a blast. Then, we get the back-up by Mark Russell and Howard Porter, Snagglepuss. Here, Snagglepuss is being cross-examined by the House Committee on Un-American Activities back in 1954. He is cast as a Truman Capote-esque character crusading for what's right. I loved everything about this entire issue. Brilliant.

Were the robots the Banana Splits stopped named Charlie?

Did Tom have a taser in the story? He invented them you know.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Kind of, but the Bobbseys and Tom weren't really important to the story. They were more like background characters or supporting at best.

JD DeLuzio said:

Nope.

Ronald Morgan said:

Did Tom have a taser in the story? He invented them you know.

Black Cloud #1: This comes to us from Image, and it was okay. I won't be continuing with it, unless I hear amazing things from reviews, but probably not even then. It is written by Jason Latour and Ivan Brandon, so the writing has some cred, and the art is by Greg Hinkle, who drew Air Boy for Image as well, so I have no problem with the creative team whatsoever, but the story here just wasn't anything that really did anything for me. A rich guy wants his son out of the way until he is elected (son is a screw-up), so he hires a woman who is from some kind of dream world (?) to take him into the dream world until the election. It was interesting, and the art was pretty, but as I said, this story just didn't do it for me. I think it is well-written if you're into this kind of thing, though.

Green Lantern/Space Ghost #1: This is from DC, natch, and is written by James Tynion IV and Christopher Sebela, and is drawn (and digitally-overcooked by) Ariel Olivetti. The first thing I have to say about this is that it is a wordy mo'fo! The dialog could have been cut down by about two thirds. The story itself isn't too bad. It's a classic team-up, with the first fight after meet-up, the working together (even trying each others' weapons), and then the hand-shake "hope we see each other again!" deal. It was pretty fun, but man, every time I turned a page and saw another two-page spread covered half with word balloons, I just sighed. Surely these two writers know that you can do much more with far fewer words. The backup by Howard Chaykin was about a couple characters that I don't really know from the Hanna Barbera world called Ruff n' Reddy. It was a toast to the golden age of television that my grandparents once knew. It was very okay. The art was the best part, but if this really does become an ongoing, them it will have to go on without me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service