Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 49347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Jonathan Harris?"

I said "guest villain" not "special guest star."

Heh-heh-heh...

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Jonathan Harris?"

I said "guest villain" not "special guest star."

FANTASTIC FOUR #347-349 (“Monsters Unleashed”): Reading Marvel Fanfare put me in the mood to read some more Arthur Adams, so I picked this tales of the “New Fantastic Four”: Spider-Man, Hulk, Ghost Rider and Wolvering.

SPIDER-BOY TEAM-UP: An amalgam title by Roger Stern, Karl Kessel and LAdronn featuring the “Legion of Galactic Guardians 2099.”

SUPERMAN #15: Unwieldy title: “The Unity Saga: the House of El – The Conclusion: Part Two.”

SUPERMAN #17: “The Truth: Prologue.” A better start to “The Truth” than #18.

MODERN LOVE: It took me a minute to figure out who “F. C. AlJon is (Al Feldstien and Jonny Craig).

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ANNUAL #1: A good jumping on poiunt. POV character: Shvaugn Erin. Computo takes over the body of a little girl. Also introduces the new Invisible Kid. I followed that up with isues #290-294, “The Great Darkness Saga.”

Despite the run already having been in progress for a few months, that LSH annual feels like the moment the Levitz/Giffen Legion really made its mark. As you say, a great jumping-on point. One of the all-time best!

Speaking of Spider-Boy ... I know it was just a typo, but "Wolvering" sounds like a missed opportunity for an Amalgam title!

About the LSH annual, I was going to say something about Shvaugn "live tweeting" to Chief Zendak throughout.

"Wolvering" would be an amalgam of Wolverine and... Hulkling?

Wolverine as a Green Lantern, perhaps?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Wolvering" would be an amalgam of Wolverine and... Hulkling?

Ha, ha, ha!

That was my first thought as well.

Dave Palmer said:

Wolverine as a Green Lantern, perhaps?

My only gripe about Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #1 was that it made the Legion Academy useless. The new Invisible Kid who had no previous desire to be either a super-hero or a Legionnaire suddenly gets a super power and then is admitted to the team immediately with no mention ever being made about any training whatsoever! He can turn invisible, helped the Legion and he's in!

Also I just read DCeased #6 and Marvel Zombies Resurrection #1, both in "Imaginary Story"/"What If" territory that almost demands sequels though I'm tired of super-hero zombie stories!

The ending of DCeased was foreshadowed in Roy Thomas' Superman and his Incredible Fortress of Solitude tabloid from 1981!

"The new Invisible Kid who had no previous desire to be either a super-hero or a Legionnaire suddenly gets a super power and then is admitted to the team immediately with no mention ever being made about any training whatsoever!"

A classic case of being in the right place at the right time.

GEOFF JOHNS FLASH OMNIBUS Vol. 1: I didn’t pre-order any of these the first time around, but I always had my eye on the one on the shelf at my LCS. I decided to buy them several years ago during their annual sale, but someone else beat me to them and they’ve been out of print ever since. I was reading Flash at the time, but couldn’t quite recall the beginning of the run. Brian Bolland was the cover artist at the time. The artist of Geoff Johns’ first issue was Angel Unzueta (which I couldn’t have told you before yesterday). Unzuetta did the art for #164-169, then Scott Kollins took over with #170. That’s the point at which Johns’ run really clicked with me. The omnibus includes #164-191 plius other one-shots and specials such as Iron Heights, Our Worlds at War, Secret Files & Origins and DC Firsts: Flash & Superman thrown in for good measure. And it only gets better from here.

ETETRNALS: SECRETS FROM THE MARVEL UNIVERSE:

So far, this is the only new comic I’ve read this week. This collects the Eternals back-up stories from What If…? #23-30. Back when I led the “Jack Kirby’s Eternals” discussion (2004?) I bought those issues just to read the story, but it’s so much nicer to have them under a single cover and on slick paper.

I should also say something about cover penciler Todd Nauck. There was a time when I absolutely would not purchase any comic he illustrated, even it was one I would normally buy. But I must admit his work has greatly improved in recent years. At its best, it looks a bit like Arthur Adams’.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service