Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 56834

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right now I have access to Byrne's Doom Patrol.

I can also reread (if it strikes anyone's fancy) Justice League: Cry For Justice, Legion of Super-Heroes (three-boot), New Invaders or Marvels: Eye of the Camera.

I have gone through the entire run of Justice League Unlimited and thought it was a pretty good series. It had spotlight issues for little-used or never-used characters like Blue Beetle, Ragman, Vigilante, Elongated Man, Red Tornado and Blue Devil. It made better use of Stargirl, Booster Gold and Vixen.

Adventure Comics #450 - I really only mention this because just a few weeks after asking the Aqualad eye question, I've now read another story in which it is mentioned. tells you how many stories I've read with Aqualad in them.

Age of Heroes #1-4 - This is an anthology miniseries fro Marvel's "Heroic Age" from 2010. A lot of the stories are set-ups to other stories and it runs the gamut of characters: Spider-man (of course) to Gravity (who I remember, but is he even still around) to American Son (who I don't remember at all, may have been the first time I've run across him).

Of course I also forgot that Brother Voodoo was once the Sorcerer Supreme. Did Wakanda ever get its Vibranium back?

Captain Comics said:

DONALD DUCK: UNDER THE POLAR ICE: This is the last of the books Fantagraphics has announced; we're still missing Vols. 1-4, and however many come after this one (Vol. 23, 1960). I hope good news is coming about the rest.

I have good news. I preordered the following from Amazon:

Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge Vol. 24: "Island In The Sky"
Release date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Yay!

As to Doom Patrol, I read about half of the original run in real time, and was saddened when it went reprint (a sure sign it would soon die altogether, which it did). I really liked it! But then, as others have said, it tried very hard to be a Marvel book, and I liked Marvel books.

Then came the Kupperberg revival, which even he says was terrible. He says he didn't really understand what made these characters tick, and just wrote it as a standard superhero book. He regrets it. So do I.

Then came John Byrne, which made these characters so unpleasant that reading it made me a little sick. I remember when, for all their faults, they were at least trying to be good people who do the right thing. Byrne turned them into characters whose psychological damage was even worse than the physical part. Heck, Rita was ... what? Mind-controlled? Brain-damaged? I don't remember exactly, except that I never want to read it again.

Then came Morrison. At first I wasn't interested, because it wasn't "my" Doom Patrol, plus it seemed to be weird for weirdness' sake. (The original Doom Patrol wasn't particularly weird -- well, not any weirder than the Challengers of the Unknown, who also seemed to run into bizarre villains like the Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man. All the characters were recognizable people, with ordinary emotions and reactions to events. If they were psychologically traumatized, Arnold Drake didn't care to bring it up. Even Robotman seemed to be more or less adjusted to having a full-body prosthesis. There was an undercurrent of humor, not pathos.)

But it grew on me, especially when he did bring the originals back one by one, Morissoned into something odd, but still plausible extensions from where they started. And the weirdness was SO weird that it was kinda fun just to gape at people made of scissors and little girls with monkey faces. 

So that's my Doom Patrol story. I probably didn't give either Kupperberg or Byrne much of a chance to grow on me, rejecting them more or less from the get-go. But I am in no hurry to test that hypothesis. For me, the only Doom Patrol runs worth reading are the original Silver Age material and Morrison. 

Of course, I haven't read the Young Animal run, which might be good. Anybody know? 

I read the first issue (or the first few issues...?) of the Young Animal run, but it didn't make much of an impression on me.

BTW, the Byrne reboot (2004) came after the Morrison/Vertigo run, which grew out of the Kupperbergg/Lightle relaunch (which was "my" Doom Patrol, even though it lasted only a half dozen issues or so).

And there was another version in 2001, between Morrison and Byrne, by John Arcudi and Tan Eng Huat which lasted 22 issues. In addition, there was a 2009 version between Byrne and Young Animal (2016) which also lasted 22 issues that I did not read at all

THE WRONG EARTH: NIGHT & DAY #1: Dragonflyman & Dragonfly meet face-to-face for the first time! NOTE TO ROB: Also, with this issue, Ahoy! has started reprinting the odd short story "in the category of really good ones that we feel were under-circulated."

HAPPY HOUR #3: Got home with #3 only to realize I missed #2, so next week.

FIRE POWER #7: I could tell you what happens this issue, but I figure 1) either you're not reading this series and don't car, or 2) are reading and would prefer to read it yourself. As always, recommended.

STAR TREK: YEAR FIVE #18: The Enterprise visits a planet overrun by a pandemic. But which side is Gary 7 on? Arex is in this one; I don't remember seeing him in earlier issues of this series. 

FIRE POWER #7: I could tell you what happens this issue, but I figure 1) either you're not reading this series and don't car, or 2) are reading and would prefer to read it yourself. As always, recommended.

I started reading this based on your recommendation, Jeff. Unfortunately, for me I'm missing issue 3, so they are piling up right now.

I did start reading the Johnny Dynamite trade. I knwo he isn't the best artist, but I've always enjoyed Pat Morisi's art, and this book is mostly pre-code crime comics. It is very much a Mike Hammer knockoff, but a well done one. This was actually an impulse buy at my LCS a while back.

I bought the four-issue Johnny Dynamite series Dark Horse Dark Horse released in 1994. I didn't know then that he was an older character. In fact, I didn't know it until I saw the volume you're referring to when it was solicited. I flipped through it when it shipped and kinda wished I would have pre-ordered it, but I didn't buy it. 

I don't recall the Dark Horse series at all.

I am kind of surprised you didn't pick it up, Jeff. Seems like something right up your alley.

I might yet.

HAPPY HOUR #1-3: This AHOY! Comics title is set in a near-future America in which unhappiness is prohibited by law. Constant happiness is maintained by brain surgery, drugs and aversion therapy. The protagonists are Jerry and Kim, fleeing the authorities cross country from the east coast to the Texas/Mexico border to join the commune of the John Galt-like figure Landor Cohen. I would recommend this to anyone who likes dark humor. 

Speaking of Terry Beatty (who drew the Dark Horse Johnny Dynamite revival, with Max Allan Collins scripting), I just read a series from Dark Horse that I really enjoyed -- Bang!, by Matt Kindt and Wilfredo Torres. Torres's work, on this series, at least, seems like a more dynamic version of Terry Beatty's style. The figure work is similar (not overly detailed, but people with realistic proportions, nothing cartoony about them), but the layouts and angles seem more engaging. (Then again, I'm remembering Beatty's work from Ms. Tree, a mystery series whose realism benefits from giving the reader a grounded POV, so maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges.)

Anyway, Bang! starts out as a spy story -- a James Bond-type character, Thomas Cord, faces off against the evil organization Goldmaze. But somehow, the character (or characters -- before the end of the issue, we discover that there have been several Thomas Cords) is also the star of some pulpy novels. The next issue follows John Shaw, who seems to have his roots in Die Hard's John McClain...and after he foils a Goldmaze attack on a train, he's approached by Cord. Next up are two more heroes. This is a cool teamup of various action archetypes, similar to League of Extraordinary Gentleman, but without the need for endless annotation. (But with, it should be noted, some metafictional undercurrents.) I had a lot of fun with it. The five issues of the limited series are available on Comixology for 99 cents apiece during the current Dark Horse Mindbenders sale, and the trade is available for $5.99. (I don't know if the trade has extra material or not; if not, the single issues are a better deal during the sale.) 

I'm not sure if the story's meant to continue or not, but I'd definitely like to see more of it. And regardless, more from Wilfredo Torres, whose clear, exciting action scenes are a joy to read.*

*I just did a search, and discovered Torres drew Captain Kid, the Captain Marvel inversion (a middle-aged guy transforms into a younger superhero) written by Mark Waid and Tom Peyer for Aftershock. I bought the first issue of that physically, but think I lost track of the series after that. Next Aftershock sale, I'll be picking this one up!

Rob, I really liked Bang! as well. It was very well done. It was hurt by a big shipping delay between the second and third issue (I assume it was because of COVID).

I don't know if their is a planned sequel or not. It certainly seems like there would be.

Wilfredo Torres also did the art for Quantum Age, the LSH homage Black Hammer mini-series.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service