Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 57134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the info Luke, for until I acquired the e-version of the trade paperback, I still wasn't sure how the 12 trials turned out. Now if DC would only collect those World War 2 stories that ran between Wonder Woman's own title and the start of her appearances in World's Finest when that was a "super-sized" Dollar Comic...

SPACED OUT: This is a parody comic I bought on a whim because it was such a light week. Two things tipped the scales in favor of me buying it: 1) It's from Source Point Press, by the fine folks who publish Sham Comics, and 2) It has a parody of The Prisoner television show which i recently finished watching. "Prisonerd" was obviously written by someone familiar with the show. The other two features were spoofs of DC war comics by Joe Kubert, "Ememy Ass" and "Sgt. Crock." I don't generally like parody comics. There are only two I even kinda like. First, there's the original MAD comic book. Way below that is Not Brand Echh. Way below that is Spaced Out. It costs four bucks. Was it worth it? Is any comic?

X-MEN LEGENDS #2: I just so happened to read this one immediately after reading Spaced Out, and I at first thought I was still reading a parody. It's drawn by Brett Booth, and I can never decide if his style is inspired by Rob Liefeld's or is a parody of it. If it's an homage, it's spot on; if it's a parody, it's also spot on. This issue reveals the origin of a third Summers brother who has been around since the '90s but never explained. All of these stories are supposed to be in continuity but, as Oracle of the Imperial Guard mind-wipes everyone involved at the end I guess it doesn't really matter anyway. There is a highly detailed Summers Family Tree at the end; apparently there's a fourth brother as well. This comic also cost four bucks. The storyline I'm really looking forward to begins next issue. 

THE FLASH #768: I bought this one because it features Wally West. And because it was a light week. the last time I checked, Wally west was one of two characters who carried over from the pre-Flashpoint universe. (I assume that's still the case.) Following the events of Heroes in Crisis, Wally decides to give up his powers, and Barry Allan agrees to help him do it. they both race into the Speedforce, but things don't go as planned. Wally disappears and Barry is forced back to normal space. Barry finds himself in the body of a cavemen in the Jurassic era. (I know, there were no cave men in the Jurassic era, but that's what happened.) Another time jump throws him into the future where he finds himself in the body of Bart Allan. this is "Chapter One," but I don't know of how many and I haven't decided whether to read the rest of the story. This comic costs five bucks! 

EDGAR ALLAN POE'S SNIFTER OF BLOOD #6: The series comes to a close with [SPOILER] The death of the main character. [END SPOILER]

THE PHANTOM: THE COMPLETE NEWSPAPER DAILIES v21: I didn't read this one, I just bought it. We're up to 1967-1968.

Zeppo?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

This issue reveals the origin of a third Summers brother who has been around since the '90s but never explained.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THE PHANTOM: THE COMPLETE NEWSPAPER DAILIES v21: I didn't read this one, I just bought it. We're up to 1967-1968.

At some point Don Heck ghost-pencilled for Barry but you might not be there yet. It depends when he started. Rich Buckler ghost-pencilled the strip in the 1970s.

FIRE POWER #10: Recommended.

THE IMMORTAL HULK #45: If you've been meaning to give this series a try, this is not a good jumping on point. I think I mentioned last time that Al Ewing emphasizes that the letters page was written in the (recent) past and he's speaking to us in the (near) future. This particular letters page was prepared on January 11th of this year. 'Nuff said?

SUPERMAN'S GREATEST TEAM-UPS: This one will have to wait for a while, but it collects pre-Crisis stories from DC Comics Presents #5, 9-10, 12, 14, 19, 28, 30, 35, 38-39, 45, 50, 58, 63, 67, 71 and 97.

I'm currently ready the first volume of the Speed Racer manga. Its not the best thing ever, but it is entertaining and fast paced. The book also includes a forward by Peter Fernandez, he was the one who wrote the English version of the show, came up with the names of characters, and he even voiced Speed Racer himself. A lot if interesting info in the forward about the US cartoon.

Recently, I also read Fire Team. A series written and drawn by Don Lomax. He is best known for his Vietnam Journal series (he is a Vietnam vet). This was pretty weird. We have a half-Vietnamese half-American kid who was raised by another Vietnamese refugee who are being pushed around by some neo-Nazis into selling their building to a Colombian drug lord. This drug lord is using other gangs to get control of a large portion of land in the city. At one point a squad of dead veterans, from Vietnam, arrive to help the boy out.

They then appear at different times to help and drive away the gangs and the drug lord. We wrapped that story up in three issues, so now we have the real store. The kid finds out his American father is still alive in Vietnam, so he, the fire team, and the older man who raised him all head over to try and find him.

Like I said this was pretty weird, and I don't regret reading it. I just don\t think I could recommend it.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

SUPERMAN'S GREATEST TEAM-UPS: This one will have to wait for a while, but it collects pre-Crisis stories from DC Comics Presents #5, 9-10, 12, 14, 19, 28, 30, 35, 38-39, 45, 50, 58, 63, 67, 71 and 97.

DC Comics Presents started in 1978. Checking, I was surprised to find #2-#3 were DC Explosion issues (25 pages at 50c). I suppose the title was an Explosion initiative launched just ahead of it. With #4 the title went down to 40c, but DC Indexes says the stories in #4-#5 had 23 pages. The title went down to 17 with #6.

DC's 1980 page-length increase arrived with #25, but that issue also initiated a back-up feature,  "Whatever Happened to...?", which ran off and on to #48. So this set of stories starts with a 23 pager and is then 17s until #39's (19, although it had a back-up) and #45's (25). The subsequent stories are 23 except for #97's (the last issue, 38).

#14 was a sequel to #13. The storyline was concluded in #25.

#28 is the Mongul/Warworld story. I remember Jeff read that recently. For those who don't know, it continued from #27 and ended on an unresolved note leading into #29. But the Mongul part of the story concluded in #28. His storyline continued in #36, #43.

#35, featuring Man-Bat, concluded a storyline started in The Brave and the Bold #165. This story doesn't end on an unresolved note, but Man-Bat's next storyline, in Gerry Conway's run in the Bat-titles, built on it as if it had. (I guess Conway was sequel-ing The Brave and the Bold #165, which ends with Man-Bat thinking dark thoughts about Batman.) The McGuffin device reappeared in Superman #366, where Superman used it to change his form.

The first issue labelled as a Crisis tie-in was #86. Crisis on Infinite Earths ended the same month as #91, but the transition to DC's new universe wasn't smooth, and the Man of Steel mini that inaugurated the John Byrne era didn't start until half a year later.

#97 is a wind-up issue like Alan Moore's 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" story, labelled "An untold tale of the pre-Crisis universe". DC Indexes says it came out the same month as the Moore issues.

"#25... also initiated a back-up feature, "Whatever Happened to...?", which ran off and on to #48."

The collection shows those stories advertised on the covers, but none of them are reprinted inside. some of them look quite interesting.

"#97 is a wind-up issue... labelled An untold tale of the pre-Crisis universe'."

Quite so. Under that circumstance, I deemed it not incorrect to describe the collection as "pre-Criris stories from DC Comics Presents." 

Artists sometimes have contracts guaranteeing them work. I suspect that's why Curt Swan's work sometimes turned up on fill-ins in the period (New Teen Titans #5, Batman #358), and that it was also a factor in who drew DC Comics Presents stories and the back-ups in the Super-titles.

Later in the title's run the artist seemed often chosen to match the property, and the issues were often written by writers associated with the guest feature. I suppose #12 is an early example of that, as Englehart wrote part of the run of Mister Miracle when it was briefly revived in second half of the 1970s. Other cases on this list include #38 (Don Heck had recently had a run on The Flash), #39 (Martin Pasko and Joe Staton had done "Plastic Man" for Adventure Comics), #45 (Firestorm was Gerry Conway's character, and the issue appeared just ahead of the launch of The Fury of Firestorm) and #63 (this appeared while the Amethyst mini was coming out and was by its writing team, Dan Mishkin and Gary Cohn).

#97's story, by Steve Gerber and Rick Veitch, was a sequel to the 1981-82 The Phantom Zone mini by Gerber and Gene Colan.

Doctor Who: Missy #1

Cinderella: Fables Are Forever #1-6 which told basically a spy thriller where Cindy battles a shockingly wicked foe with a lot of fan service!

Future Quest Volume One (2017): it's probably the most fun DC has had with its Hanna-Barbera acquisitions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service