Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 52771

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

From DC I read The Creeper by Steve Ditko - Which as the title implies reprints all of the Steve Ditko Creeper stories. Including Showcase #106, which only saw print before in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade. These are pretty fun stories. I also enjoyed the evolution of Ditko's art that get cartoonier as the stories go along.

Years ago, Commander Benson gave me a new way of looking at the O'Neil/Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow. He didn't like it for many reasons, but one of them was because the characterization of Green Lantern was out of synch with what had come before. That's true, but after I read O'Neil/Ditko Creeper stories, I realized that the GL/GA stories sprung more from that than (and other ditko series such as Hawk & Dove) than from previous issue of Green Lantern.

O'Neil wrote The Creeper under the pseudonym "Sergius O'Shaunessey." Apparently current DC editorial didn't lknow that because, IIRC, the collection is credited to the pseudonym.

If you liked The Creeper (which is more Ditko than it is O'Neil IMO), you might also enjoy DC's "Action Hero" archive (v2) which features Ditko's Captain Atom, Blue Beetle and the Question (from Charlton) reprinted in te order they were originally published. to place that in context, it was toward the end and after his run on Spider-Man, but before The Creeper. If Ditko's politics began to creep into (pun intended) the last of his Spider-Man run, it really comes to the fore in his Charlton work. If you know those characters only from DC, you're in for a surprise.

It's not a comic, per se, but I read Kirk Demarais's Mail Order Mysteries, which features pages of images reproduced from comics alongside real-life photographs. It's a fun read that shows and tells you what you'd really get if you'd ordered any of those cheap, sensationalized trinkets of yore that were advertised heavily in old comics.

Re-read Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea, by Guy Delisle.

I haven't read that one. Honestly, Hostage is the only Guy Delisle I've read. I thought it was good, but I'm not sure it's one I will return to.

The Baron said:

Reading the facsimile editions of Batman #232 "Daughter of the Demon", Batman #251 "The Jokers Five Way Revenge" and Mystery in Space #75 "The Planet That Came To A Standstill".

I love this series of reprints. There is something special in having these comic books in their original form with ads, letter pages etc as originally printed. DC in particular has done well by printing on a matte paper stock that feels like an upgrade of newsprint. The Marvel facsimiles are on a whiter glossy stock with updated coloring that does not render the artwork as well.

I've never read Hostage, but I enjoyed Pyongyang.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I haven't read that one. Honestly, Hostage is the only Guy Delisle I've read. I thought it was good, but I'm not sure it's one I will return to.

The Baron said:

doc photo said:

...Mystery in Space #75 "The Planet That Came To A Standstill".

I love these facsimile editions, too, and I almost bought this one. but I already have it in a "reprint" (a faux reprint, I believe) of a JLA 100-Page Super-Spectacular and in the Adam Strange Omnibus.

Still, that facimile version is nice, though.

Ultraman, vol. 13.  Need to get back to that thread and update it.

I started reading/re-reading Ultraman when I started rewatching all of the TV shows, but I just couldn't get into it. My first time through I petered out aroun volume six. Then, after a time, I started back at the beginning again, got to about volume six (again) and petered out (again).

Usually, my comic book reading falls into three "projects" which I try to make as diverse as possible. Currently, they are Golden Age Sandman, Silver Age Hawman and Gold Key Dark Shadows... plus, currentl, Titntin.

I have been re-reading Uncanny X-Men Masterworks. I hadn't noticed this before, but volume 3 end with issue #120 (even on the dust jacket) and volume 4 starts with #122. So much for reading the end of the Alpha Flight battle. I did some searching and volume 3 is out of print. I don't really want to pay over $55 for a new copy.

"I hadn't noticed this before, but volume 3 end with issue #120 (even on the dust jacket) and volume 4 starts with #122."

That's because you are reading a first print of volume three and a second print of volume four. Initially, volume three ended one issue shy of completeing the story and volume four picked up with #121. This oversight was "corrected" with later printings. Or maybe volume four always began with #122. In either case, later printing of volume three included an additional issue.

What really kind of cheeses me off about this situation is this: the first volume of the original X-Men included issue #1-10, and the second #11-21. This is because Marvel didn't want to end the second volume in the middle of a story (#20). BUT... if he'd've been thinking just a little bit ahead, he could have put issue #11 in the first volume (so the entire Lee/Kirby run would be available in a single volume), and the second volume would have been #12-21 and not have ended in the middle of a story.

Klaw vol. 1: This is the first in two beautiful oversized hardcovers of this series last week. A third is out now also, but I bought these on a quarantine sale at Magnetic Press for half off. The third is new, so wasn't on sale yet. I figured giving a new series a try, I'd start with the sale items!

And boy am I glad I did! This first offering from a writer by the name of Ozanam and an artist by the name of Joel Jurion (there's an umlaut over the e of his first name, but I don't know how to do that) is first of all just stunning to look at. The linework and the colors really pop out at you. The art looks quasi-cartoony, but never over the top. Think of a slightly pulled-back Jason Pearson in terms of stylistic cartoonishness.

I figured the story was going to either be a Hulk-like story or a tiger-man story based on what I knew. It's a little more complicated than that. It's about a kid who is bullied at school a bit, so far so typical. But he is a filthy rich kid whose father is a mafioso. His bodyguard/chauffeur is the tiger-man. In the beginning, that is.

This ability is passed on to the kid, whose name is Angel Tomassini (don't believe I mentioned that). And from there, a great adventure involving corporate evil, mutating monster-men, and mafia danger.

I read the first volume and immediately started the second last night just before drifting off. I couldn't wait. Fantastic series!

It was first published in 2011 by a different company in France before coming to Magnetic Press in Chicago, where it was first re-published in 2016.

Highly recommended!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service