Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 59244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff of Earth-J said:

SUPERMAN & LOIS LANE: The 25th Wedding Anniversary Deluxe Edition: Somehow I got the idea that the stories collected in this volume weren't going to be sequential, that they were going to present key stories leading up to and following the wedding, but they are. It collects five different "superman" comic books, triangle-numbers 46-50, all cover-dated December 1996. This was not necessarily my favorite era back when it was being published, but I find it refreshingly nostalgic now. 

I wasn't and still am not in favor of the "triangle" approach to the Superman titles, for several reasons:

• You couldn't get the full story if you didn't get all four of the books (Superman, Adventures of Superman, Action Comics and Superman: Man of Steel, plus the quarterly Superman: Man of Tomorrow). Maybe you didn't want to get all four of the books.
  • It didn't let each creative team play to its strengths. Different artists with different art styles made this a less-than-seamless experience.
  • It didn't let each creative team play to its strengths. I prefer the editorial approach for characters who appear in multiple titles (which, admittedly was more often an unachieved goal) that each title would focus on a different aspect of each character's life. But spreading the same story across all the titles thwarts that. Which leads to my other reason for dislike ...
  • If you don't like the story, you're stuck with it across the whole line. There's no chance that if you don't like what's in Adventures of Superman you'll instead like what's in Action Comics; it's the same story! 

Captain Comics said:

Re: United States of Captain America: I'm waiting until I have all five issues until I start reading, but let me echo your comments, Baron. When this thing started, I referenced the last time an amateur tried cosplaying as the Star-Spangled Avenger, and ended up murdered by the Red Skull. (Roscoe something.) That would be the natural outcome of playing superhero without any training or technical/physical advantage. I was hoping the series would address that, but from your comments, I guess not.

"Roscoe something" is right. Roscoe never got a last name when those stories ran, since he was less a character than a mere plot construct, just there to be cannon fodder. After the fact, he retroactively gained the name "Simons."

Captain Comics said:

Re: United States of Captain America: I'm waiting until I have all five issues until I start reading, but let me echo your comments, Baron. When this thing started, I referenced the last time an amateur tried cosplaying as the Star-Spangled Avenger, and ended up murdered by the Red Skull. (Roscoe something.) That would be the natural outcome of playing superhero without any training or technical/physical advantage. I was hoping the series would address that, but from your comments, I guess not.

What happened to Roscoe was a step down the road of making comics "realistic," and you all know where I stand on "realistic". If I can accept the fantasy of a vigilante donning a costume to fight crime in the first place, I can accept they can do it without a lifetime of Olympic-level training. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Unless he exists in a state of quantum flux until someone reads the issue. Schroedinger's Pa Kent.

Great comment!

Captain Comics said:

Your comment reminds me of the (terrible) movie Batman & Robin (1997), in which Barbara Gordon just puts on a costume and gets on a motorcycle. Voila! A superhero.

"I wasn't and still am not in favor of the "triangle" approach to the Superman titles"

I am not, either, for the reasons you mention and more. My beef is more theoretical, but imagine someone trying to collect the series as backissues. It wouldn't be impossible, but it would be more difficult that it should be. I recently read the George Perez Superman collection. In that volume, you can practically see the series drawing closer and closer together. In the early days of the post-Crisis Superman universe, DC did a good job of keeping the series separate, with Superman concentrating on the heroics, Adventures on Clark Kent and the supporting cast and Action on team-ups. By 1996, though, forget it! A reader could no long follow a single title and get a complete story. It is for that reason that I don't think the post-Crisis Superman will be as well-remembered in the future as the pre-Crisis Superman is today. 

For my October comics reading, the box set of Moore's Swamp Thing should be arriving later in the month.  In the meantime, I have three Omnibi to choose from -- Bronze Age Swamp ThingMan-Thing, and Morbius, the Living Vampire.  I may have to flip a coin.

I have all of Moore's Swamp Thing in Archives-style editions but have only scratched the surface. I guess I'll live forever, if only to read all of the books I've accumulated.

I'm pretty sure immortality is my only option now, too.

Richard Willis said:

I have all of Moore's Swamp Thing in Archives-style editions but have only scratched the surface. I guess I'll live forever, if only to read all of the books I've accumulated.

With everything I've got unread, it's either gonna have to be immortality or regeneration ala the Time Lords for me too.

Regeneration would be interesting. I've never really thought too much about a world where your social circle-- or even the people who post at the same places as you-- change their appearance and aspects of their personalities every once in awhile like, oh, that's the new Lee Houston. What's with the long scarf?

Lee Houston, Junior said:

With everything I've got unread, it's either gonna have to be immortality or regeneration ala the Time Lords for me too.

And how did you know the Tom Baker version was my first Doctor?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service