I live with Holly, my wife of 13 years, and my three 7 year old daughters.  Given that they live with me...comics are always around.  Holly cut her comics teeth on the same books many of us did...Disney, Mad magazine, comic strip reprint books of Garfield and Bloom County...but she quit reading comics until I met her in medical school.  I loaned her Sandman and Swamp Thing and she liked them...but Starman was the first one she really liked.  From there, it went to Alan Moore's ABC books...especially The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.  She currently reads PVP, Proof, the Perhapanauts, Powers, and a few more that don't start with P.  Oh, yeah, Lenore is probably her favorite comic. 

My girls have enjoyed a lot of comics...Little Lulu, Tiny Titans, Batman, Owly...but recently Smile by Raina Telgemeier and the Archie line of books have taken the lead.  Rose is way into the character of Jughead and has started drawing comics starring herself, her sisters, and sometimes the Archie gang. 

What's it like in your house?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Anacoqui cut way back on her comic book reading while in grad school but she still makes time for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel ('cause I make her), Fables and Wonder Woman plus BPRD, Hellboy and now Scott Pilgrim in trades. Some of the other comics on her to-read pile include the new Tom Strong and Age of Bronze (she lets a couple of issues pile up so she can read a bunch of them at once).

We also have two daughters, A and Z. A is 8 and is big into Marvel comics. She especially likes the Power Pack and Pet Avengers series. She'll also read Betty and Veronica, Donald Duck, back issues of Little Mermaid and anything else I give her. And she likes comic strips too with Calvin & Hobbes and Garfield collections being two of her favorites. Z is 6 and is big into DC comics. That's right; I've got a Marvel and a DC girl. Z loves Tiny Titans. She also collected the kids Legion of Super-Heroes and Krypto when they were being published and Teen Titans Go.
  • I live with Holly, my wife of 13 years

Huh, I thought she was older than that. Especially with 3 seven-year-olds.

G'night folks! I'm here all year!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's much better now!

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

• Dagwan said:

I live with Holly, my wife of 13 years

Huh, I thought she was older than that. Especially with 3 seven-year-olds.

G'night folks! I'm here all year!

I think he means she was 13 when he married her.
  • Kathy is reading American Vampire and was reading Beasts of Burden. She's also a fan of Girl Genius and Order of the Stick, online.

If I could find my early issues of The Walking Dead, she'd be all over that, I'm sure.

The ferrets don't read much, though we used to have one who loved chweing on a paperback volume of The Canterbury Tales.
  • One of my friends is a city librarian...I warned her to start ordering Walking Dead trades for the collection before the show hits AMC in October.
  • Good idea -- that's an email I have to send to my friend Sharon!

Doc Beechler said:
    One of my friends is a city librarian...I warned her to start ordering Walking Dead trades for the collection before the show hits AMC in October.
  • Rob Staeger said:
    Good idea -- that's an email I have to send to my friend Sharon!

Doc Beechler said:
    One of my friends is a city librarian...I warned her to start ordering Walking Dead trades for the collection before the show hits AMC in October.

My library system has been carrying Walking Dead trades for a long time, and they already circulate very well. Given the current budget crisis I doubt they'll be ordering additional copies, but who knows. I won't be there after July 3, so I won't be around to see the impact of the movie.
  • It's not a movie, it's a full-fledged television series.
  • Well, I just have my roommate and he doesn't read comics any more. He collected them for a while back in the '80s. He used to read Knights of the Dinner Table when I was reading it. Outside of that nada. He does ask about characters though, and he watches more of the comic based movies than I do.
  • I live with my brother but he works out of town and is engaged now so I don't see much of him. He started reading trades of a lot of Marvel series but stopped around the time he got engaged which was about a year ago. He was in to Captain America, Iron Man, Iron Fist, Cable & Deadpool and Invincible. He was also a fan of Robert Kirkman's other character, Brit and read a few of the trades that were out.
This reply was deleted.