You know the drill.

Views: 10507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We were on our regular weekly call with the former youngster and I asked if he had any requests for Thanksgiving dinner. His answer?

"Food. That I didn't cook myself."

A perfectly-priced paperback:

And a close "second" [ahem}:

We had a virtual volunteer opportunity at work, and it was sending a Valentine's Day card to a child at St. Jude's. I leapt at the chance, and it really gave me the nice, warm feelings inside.

That's awesome.  The Lad made a batch of handmade Valentine's Day cards, and he and The Lovely and Talented delivered them to a seniors' residence facility yesterday as a Young Men's Service League project.

That's great! I love hearing that.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

That's awesome.  The Lad made a batch of handmade Valentine's Day cards, and he and The Lovely and Talented delivered them to a seniors' residence facility yesterday as a Young Men's Service League project.

It was actually, yesterday, so yesterday I was so happy to celebrate my dad's 80th birthday.

Now that we're all fully-vaccinated, The Lovely, The Lad and I had brunch with her parents and some family friends that we hadn't seen since The Before Times, at a little family restaurant in Vienna, VA that has been one of our "go to" casual places for years.  The kind of place where they know you by sight and barely have to bother taking your order because they know what you like. But also the kind of place that was seriously imperiled by the pandemic. The Lovely has been ordering carry-out for her parents, so we knew it hadn't closed, but I don't think any of us had actually been in there for well over a year.

They were doing land office business. That made me smile.

While I was listening the radio this morning, one of the host was complaining about how long documentaries have become. Like if there is a 4 part series he thinks it could have easily been done in 2 parts. He thinks the documentarians are padding their series because the streaming platforms need content. What made me smile was thinking, "Yeah that is basically been saying that about comic books for years."

So there's this particular movie I would like to own on DVD. (I have it on VHS recorded off TV, but I would like a cleaner copy.) It is available, but it's "priced for the rental market" as they say (or do they still say that?)... as they used to say. Anyway, every couple of years I check to see if the price has come down. It has not. It sells on Amazon for 70 bucks. Then Tracy finds a website selling it for $13, marked down from $19. Score! Before ordering, though, she read through the seller's "comments" section. It got one star only because it's not possible to rate it any lower. There were 23 comments, all of them negative. The movies are recorded on unlabeled discs and come in unlabeled cases. The recording quality is terrible and one buyer remarked that the heads of the actors were even cut off on the movie he bought (not sure how they accomplished that, unless they filmed it off TV with a video camera). One customer complained that his movie had commercials.

But the absolute funniest comment was from a woman who had ordered a copy of the classic film Mr. Belvedere Goes to College and received a disc with two movies on it: Mr. Boogedy and Bride of Boogedy. If we had any way to contact her we would buy it from her at the price she paid. It reminds me of the time Tracy and I tried to rent The Man Who Knew Too Much and the "helpful" video store clerk suggested, "We have The Man Who Knew Too Little." That has been a catch-phrase of ours ever since, but the lady who bought the Mr. Boogety disc has us beat. 

For Father's Day, The Lad and The Lovely gave me A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series (2nd ed) by David Kalat. 

I've never heard of this book, but it definitely makes me smile to know that the two of them -- one of whom, the one who first saw it, doesn't give a rat's patootie about The Big G -- looked at this and thought, "Yep, perfect gift"

For Father's Day, the young man who made it possible for me to even celebrate Father's Day added to my personal library with two tomes:

a copy of The Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes, Volume 1: Batman, to replace the one I keep mentioning (like here, and here and here, just to spot a few) that I've read so often, it's falling apart.

The Boys from Grover Avenue: Ed Mcbain's 87th Precinct Novels, a scholarly examination of the 87th Precinct series. Being a longtime aficionado of the series, I'm glad to finally get my hands on it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service