16 - Contact
17 - Dark City
18 - Dark Star
19 - District 9
20 - E.t. the Extra-terrestrial
21 - Forbidden Planet
22 - Inception
23 - Invaders from Mars
24 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
25 - Logan's Run
26 - The Matrix
27 - Metropolis
28 - Minority Report
29 - Moon
30 - Planet of the Apes
31 - Robocop
32 - Rollerball
33 - Silent Running
34 - Soylent Green
35 - Sphere
36 - Star Trek: The Motion Picture
37 - Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
38 - Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
39 - Star Wars IV: A New Hope
40 - Stargate
41 - Sunshine
42 - Superman II
43 - Superman: The Movie
44 - The Terminator
45 - Terminator 2: Judgment Day
46 - THX 1138
47 - Total Recall
48 - The War of the Worlds
49 - Westworld
50 - When Worlds Collide

Views: 847

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

46, if I counted right. But I don't even recognize these: 

29 - Moon

35 - Sphere

41 - Sunshine

I know 50 - When Worlds Collide only by title, I think. Don't recall actually seeing it.

Sphere is based on the book of the same name by Michael Crichton. It involves the underwater discovery of an alien spaceship. It's a pretty intense story. The movie stars Dustin Hoffman, Samuel L. Jackson, and Sharon Stone.

I remember the movie got terrible reviews from critics and fans alike. When I saw it, I didn't think it was that bad. Certainly not worth all of vitriol it got. About a year or two later I read the book, and it was really good.

Richard Willis said:

Sphere is based on the book of the same name by Michael Crichton. It involves the underwater discovery of an alien spaceship. It's a pretty intense story. The movie stars Dustin Hoffman, Samuel L. Jackson, and Sharon Stone.

If I recall (vaguely at this point) it suffered from negative comparisions to Terminator 2 and the Abyss. Mostly due to its living water CGI, which appeared to be derivative of the other two movies. Am I remembering the right movie? And at the time, everyone was looking to knock Sharon Stone down a peg.

A rather surprising 36 for me.  I guess I got a lot of watching done before I was gifted with my little darlings.  And it's quite a mainstream list.  Of the more recent movies I've only seen Avatar and Sunshine.  I've seen so few movies since my kids came along that its worth mentioning that I saw the original "Thing from another World" also that I taped one night, just as I was reading Stephen King's Danse Macabre, where he discusses it.  (I see its not on the list, though!). 

Another bit about Sunshine. It is directed by Danny Boyle who directed such films as Trainspotting, 28 Days Later and Slumdog Millionaire.

Sunshine is really good.  I think by the people who made 'Trainspotting' and "28 Days later, and with the same Irish actor as 28 Days later.  Some of Sunshine is hard sci-fi, and some of it is really weird stuff.

Whoever wrote it had read issue one of All-Star Superman, and the Ray Baradbury story "Golden Apples of the Sun"

Haven't seen When Worlds Collide and had to turn off Cloverfield when it gave me motion sickness.

I like the first X-Files movie and Serenity better than a lot of these and John Carpenters "The Thing" is better than the original.

I just finished watching LOOPER. I've already added it to my list of great Sci-Fi movies. If you haven't seen it, you really should.

Of the movies I haven't seen - Inception, District 9 and THX1138 are probably high on my must-see list.

This weekend is my birthday and I'm going to the cinema as a special treat!  Yay!

I loved Looper. It's also one of my favorites

Richard Willis said:

I just finished watching LOOPER. I've already added it to my list of great Sci-Fi movies. If you haven't seen it, you really should.

Inception is amazing. District 9 is also quite good.

Figserello said:

Of the movies I haven't seen - Inception, District 9 and THX1138 are probably high on my must-see list.

This weekend is my birthday and I'm going to the cinema as a special treat!  Yay!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service