As we are about to embark one the next box of my unread comics, I would like to thank all of you who come to read and/or comment on these threads. When I first started this project back in July 2006  (really?) on the old board I never thought I would even make it through the first box. The threads have helped keep me semi-honest here.

I'm pretty excited about this upcoming box. It is a very eclectic mix of comics. There are a bunch of my old standbys. Like Legion comics, Daredevil, Marvel Team-up, war comics. There is a ton of other stuff like '80s black and white comics, some Kirby, a touch of Vertigo. I don't know how much will inspire me to write about, and if it does others to comment, but I am looking forward to it.

I'm really stoked to have you with me. Let's get it on!

Views: 2794

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was a period when Vertigo absorbed/absconded with several longtime DC characters, seperating them the proper DCU like the Phantom Stranger, the Unknown Soldier, Jonah Hex, Black Orchid, Deadman, the Human Target, Kid Eternity, Shade the Changing Man and even Tomahawk!

Yep, Vertigo Visions: Tomahawk #1 (Jl'98).

DC's policy seemed to be if any character appeared in a Vertigo comic, however briefly, they could not be used in a DCU comic, in any form.

Robin, I don't know if I've read anything else by Rachel Pollack. If I have, it obviously didn't leave any kind of impression on me one way or the other. I do love me some Mike Allred art though, he has gotten me to buy X-Force(!?), iZombie, and the new FF series. No pitchforks from me though life is too short for me to get upset over something trivial like that. I'll just shake my head. :P

Phillip, some of those Vertigo re imaginings were pretty great. The Human Target was one of my favorite series at the time it was coming out. The first Unknown Soldier blew me away, and had those awesome Tim Bradstreet covers. Jonah Hex always brings a smile to my face, as I read an issue to my friends one time during a road trip to Austin. I don't know who it was a bigger beating for. Them for having to listen to it or me having to do the entire issue. I assume it was them.

Robin, my reading of all things mutant at Marvel is sparse at best. The number of series I have consistently read since the early '90s I can count on one hand. I did love the Milligan/Allred run on X-Force later X-Statix.

I will agree with you about Allred's writing though. I've tried just about every iteration of his Madman, and I always drop it after a while. It has always come off to me as...unfocused. If that makes sense.

I love Allred's artwork too, and will agree that he's best when allied to a good writer.  'Unfocused' is as good a description of where Madman falls down storywise as any.

(Am I the only poster here who picked up Allred's work on the Yo Gabba Gabba camic last free comic day?  Typically lovely artwork there too.)

You might enjoy Allred/Milligan's X-force/X-Statix, Robin.  In some ways it was complimentary to Morrison's New X-Men, with the mutants in the ascendent, socially.  It was good fun.  I picked all the issues up for next to nothing, but haven't gotten around to reading to the end yet.

Lobdell or Nicieza are two names guaranteed to make me run from a comic, especially an X-Men comic.  They did excellent work on the old Buffy comic together, but I can't think of anything else of theirs that worked for me.

That they are currently riding high as DC New 52 writers says a lot about the type of reader DC are trying to engage these days.  ie Not readers like me, for a start.

What's with that whole 90s revival thing there anyway?

I think you're right about the long-running Vertigo characters (like Swamp Thing). But those one-shots in the Vertigo Visions series were done with characters that were completely dead to the DCU, anyway (at least at the time). Tomahawk and the rest didn't appear in any DCU comics because there was no place for them. That seems to be one thing that the New 52 has changed for the better.

Philip Portelli said:

Yep, Vertigo Visions: Tomahawk #1 (Jl'98).

DC's policy seemed to be if any character appeared in a Vertigo comic, however briefly, they could not be used in a DCU comic, in any form.

G.I. Combat #192

July 1976

Cover art by: Luis Dominguez

Story: The General Has Two Faces.

Writer: Robert Kanigher (who else?)

Art: Sam Glanzman

In this story the crew of the Haunted Tank take refuge is a castle that serves as a school. The only others in there are some teachers and students, all of them female. The guys ended up at the castle, because they were on a mission to kill Rommel, the Desert Fox. Jeb was wounded by gunfire, and the tank was also disabled. The crew was walking around aimlessly before being found by the women.

One of the students is enraged that they are harboring the enemy, and the Baroness/headmistress has her locked up. That girl gets out that night (with the help of the baroness oddly enough), and returns with a column of tanks, with Rommel leading them. The G.I.'s raid the armory in the castle of it's crossbows, and launch sticks of dynamite at the attackers. They get all of the tanks except Rommel's who is racing towards the castle! The drawbridge raises up and tosses the tank into the moat.

It is not a joyous occasion as they men learn that the baroness raised the drawbridge, but it cost her her life. When they get back to HQ the find out that it was just a Rommel look a like in the tank, and the real one was out foxed them.

I liked this story quite a bit, with the G.I.'s meeting some women and enjoying some downtime, even if for just one night. Also, this is a story in which someone besides Jeb sees the ghost of Jeb Stuart. Rick also sees him after he takes over the machine gun in the turret of the tank when Jeb got shot. The art by Sam Glanzman is good, but he didn't seem comfortable drawing women, as they looked a bit weak.

We also have:

Story: Target For Tonight—Me

Writer: Bart Regan

Art: Ric Estrada

This is the inaugural episode of O.S.S., and it is a doozy. Victor Lazlo is dropped into Prague on a mission to find the Gestapo's headquarters. The two men he went with are killed during the drop, and he is captured before he can swallow his poison pill.

After he is taken in, he is stripped search to make sure he is not caring any kind of tracking device. He withstands all kinds of interrogation techniques, and tells the Germans nothing. They take him to the gallows and are about to hang Lazlo. He looks up to the sky, and the leader, Hauptmann asks him what he looking for. Some RAF bombers begin to arrive overhead, and Hauptmann says they fly over every night, but they won't bomb this “hospital”. Suddenly the bombs start raining down on them. The Germans and Lazlo are all killed.

Back at O.S.S. Central, Control tells one of the subordinates that Lazlo had a radio transmitter implanted in his scalp to lead the bombers to the hospital. The capture and everything else was planned as a suicide mission for him.

The O.S.S. stories are generally pretty good with the operatives sacrificing themselves for the greater good, and this first chapter was very good. I run hot and cold on Ric Estrada's art, but here I really liked it.

Showcase #104, the last issue of the 1970s run of the title, featured O.S.S. Spies at War. I didn't know the feature had earlier appeared as a back-up series.

According to Wikipedia's page on Robert Kanigher "Bart Regan" was one of his pseudonyms. (The GCD credits "Target for Tonight-Me" to Kanigher without noting the use of the pseudonym.). I think the use of the pseudonym must've been due to editor Murray Boltinoff. A number of the issues of Action Comics he edited carried two stories written by Leo Dorfman and credited one of them to "Geoff Brown".

Wikipedia says Glanzman broke into comics in 1939 (he would have been 15)... and also says he used the pseudonym Sam Glanz. Now, that's wiki, but it's more likely it was Glanzman than Kirby pulling that name out of a hat, I think.

Happily, he's still around, and will be doing some new US Stevens stories for the new Joe Kubert: Storyteller anthology series from DC.

Shock Gibson mostly appeared in Harvey's Speed Comics; according to the GCD the story first appeared in Speed Comics #27. Imitations of the Simon and Kirby style were quite common in the period - Irv Novick was another imitator - but the splash page is particularly good, so it could be Glanzman employed a swipe there, or that someone else slicked it up.

Green Lantern #146

Nov. 1981

Cover art by: Joe Staton

Story: Prisons and Other Cages

Writer: Marv Wolfman

Art: Joe Staton

Before we begin we need to look back at the previous issue for just a minute. The awful part of that comic is it was trying to conceal who the bad guy was. Yet, is plain as the nose on your face that it was Goldface the entire time, since they announce his return on the cover. Really, really lame. Anyways, Green Lantern has been captured by Goldface, and is imprisoned in a yellow cuboid.

Goldface has been busy. After taking GL captive he then summons crime lords from all over the west coast. Goldface wants them to ally themselves to him, since HIVE is making inroads in that area. If the crooks to align with Goldface he will allow them to kill the Emerald Warrior any way they want.

Well, GL knows he can't break out of the prison he is in with direct means, so he works on an indirect method. He begins to heat the air inside, and protect himself with a bubble. The cell explodes, and Hal is free! Okay, I know his ring doesn't work against any thing yellow. You know his ring doesn't work against any thing yellow. Hal knows his ring doesn't work against any thing yellow. Goldface, also knows his ring doesn't work against any thing yellow. Everyone one in the universe seems to know this little fact. Yet, the first thing Hal does when he breaks loose? Throw up a green prison around Goldface. What a fool. Goldface shreds that, so now the Green Gladiator decides he will go hand-to-hand against the villain. He gets his butt kicked. Hal finally realizes an indirect approach against Goldface will probably work as well. Not surprising it does.

We are just about to get into another knock down drag out fight when the police burst in, and Green Lantern is arrested. Trespassing, assault and battery, and destruction of personal property quite a list. With Goldface's guests there to corroborate what happened the cops have to take him in. Once in jail he is put into a cell with Black Hand. I thought that was pretty funny.

Not a bad little comic. I've always liked Joe Staton's very cartoony style. It really works for GL, and you can follow the action really well. This issue also has an Adam Strange back-up, yet no mention of it at all on the cover. Weird.

Marv Wolfman turned Goldface from a minor Silver Age foe to GL's arch-nemesis during this period and made it work.

The funny thing is that from Green Lantern's Bronze Age revival (#90-200), Sinestro barely appeared*, despite being in the Legion of Doom on The Challenge of the Super Friends cartoon show.

*The Scarlet Scoundrel did appera in Action, World's Finest and, of course, Secret Society of Super Villains.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service