Well here we are to my third box of unread comics. For those who haven't followed, theoretically I read a comic a day of comics I bought and never got around to reading. Some of them going back to the early '90s (well when I bought them I should say). I will review some of those comics. I tried to post one once a week, but I do get lazy. 

Enjoy!

Views: 2301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Weird War Tales #89
July 1980
Cover Art: Jim Starlin

I've always thought of Starlin as more of a Marvel-guy onrdoing his own thing type of guy, even though I know he has done a fair amount of work for DC. Anyways, this is the last issue of Weird War Tales I'll look at in this box. I haven't even gotten to the G.I. Robot and Creature Commandos comics yet. I just couldn't take it any more. The weird (heh) element in this comic are the two advertisements that have O.J. Simpson.

Story: Primate Patrol
Writer: George Kashdan
Pencils: Ken Landgraf
Inks: Dave Simons

I am not familiar with those two artists at all. They do decent work here though. In this tale some American POWs are taken to a prison camp in Africa. There, we see that the Nazis are using some mutant apes to aid them in controlling the prisoners. The Germans tell the GIs how easily the apes learned. So of course the Americans teach the apes how to use weapons, and the apes help the prisoners escape. Yawn.

Story: This Ship Shall Be Your Coffin
Writer: George Kashdan
Art: Ric Estrada

A quick (naturally) 2 pager. A Japanese ship is destroyed in the Pacific and the survivors are picked up by another more ancient ship...the Flying Dutchman! Not bad for such a short adventure. Estrada's art on the other hand was pretty weak I thought. Maybe his heart wasn't into it, I dunno.

Story: Death the Dread Drummer
Writer: Robert Kanigher
Art: Rubeny

From the story to the art this is definitely the best of the bunch in this issue. We begin in World War I with both an American and a German soldier looking at a picture of their son. Both happy that neither will have to go to war like they had to. Both men are given orders to take a parcel of land. During the battle both men square off against each other, and both end up dead. They die with the thought, once again, that their sons won't have to go through war.

Fast forward to World War II and amazingly enough the son of both soldier is ordered to take the same piece of land. They begin their attack, but then both of them retreat. not wanting to send themselves and their men into such a death trap. I dunno sounds pretty treasonous to me, but what do I know? Like I said this was the star of the issue. Pretty good drama in an 8 page story, even if the “twist” was obvious it was told well, and Rubeny's art was great.

I like that cover.

I'm pretty sure I bought that one off the spinner rack at a drugstore.

I didn't recognise Rubeny's name, although I think I have seen some of his work. His full name was Ruben Yandoc. Lambiek's page on him is here.

There's another page about him here.

The "origin" of the Green Goblin was told in Amazing Spider-Man #40 "Spidey Saves the Day".  It's been reprinted once or twice.  It may also have been alluded to in flashbacks when Norman had amensia... building up to Spectacular Spiderman Vol. 1 Issue #2... which has also been reprinted a time or two, and placed into continuity, IIRC.

Robin, most of these comics have been acquired at shows, I have one long box I put together when a shop around here closed and the had a huge sale. A lot of these were bought when I had less expenses to worry about. I go out and party less than I used to, and I work a lot less hours.  Now, I have a lot more time to read the comics I bought and have been sitting around for years. The majority of the comics are less than $1. Obviously, the Silver Age and good Bronze Age stuff if more expensive.

Trust me there is a lot of dross in what I did read and what I have left as well.

RE: The Suicide Squad/Doom Patrol comic. Did they ever name the Russian dude who was going around kicking butt?

As to Deathlok, there was an issue of Back Issue that went more in depth on the character, and Rich Buckler was the driving force behind the character. He was pretty bitter when Marvel cancelled his run in Astonishing Tales and basically took the character away from him.

You don't really want me to answer that one, do you?

Think about it... after all, he's synthazoid...a combination of robotic and human parts...

Most recently, women have called this new human part.....(wait for it...)   

a "rabbit"...  and a little thinking will give you an idea why they named it that.

(He just keeps going, and going....)

Travis Herrick said:

Geez, how does that android get more play than I do?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service