Legion of Super-heroes #305

November 1983

Cover art by: Keith Giffen & Larry Mahlstedt

Story: Violet's Story

Writer: Paul Levitz

Pencils: Keith Giffen

Inks: Kurt Schaffenberger

Legion Roll Call: Braniac 5, Chameleon Boy, Shrinking Violet, Colossal Boy, and Element Lad

The above Legionnaire's arrive in a cruiser and begin to orbit Imsk. Suddenly, Element Lad handcuffs Colossal Boy with his powers, and Chameleon Boy sprays Shrinking Violet with cancellite (a chemical developed by Supergirl) which cancels a Durlan's powers. She is unable to return to normal size, because she is indeed a Durlan.

The heroes use a psych-probe on the Durlan and learn she is an actress named Yera. She was in fact tricked by some Imsk terrorists to replace the real Shrinking Violet who they claim would help them, but is sick. She says she won't spy on them, but that is fine with them.

Chameleon Boy pretends to be Yera who has been pretending to be Shrinking Violet (my head hurts) and goes planetside on Imsk. One of the people who recruited her/him sees her/him, and takes her/him back to cabal. They are furious she/he has come here.

Once in their base, they trap Chameleon Boy in a past-seal bag to keep him from using his powers. The leader, Micro Lad, shows Shrinking Violet in a sense-tank. They have been probing her mind for months to get all of her secrets regarding the United Planets, Science Police, and the Legion. The bad guys are planning to rebel and “free” Imsk from the UP.

Chameleon Boy is furious and shows that his powers are much greater than Yera's and he easily breaks free of the bag. The Imskians (is that right?) are pretty sure they can handle one Legionnaire, until the rest of the team busts in. Brainy had turned part of the SV disguise into an easily traceable radioactive material.

The Legionnaires make quick work of the terrorists, especially with an enraged Colossal Boy on their side. Brainiac 5 lets them know that Vi will make a full recovery physically, but psychologically maybe a different story.

There were 3 interludes here (1 too many if you ask me). Might favorite was the first one that takes place back at Legion HQ, with a few of the boys doing some sparring. Also, some verbal sniping at each other. Phantom Girl seemed a little cruel, claiming that Dawnstar's relationship with Wildfire was doomed from day one because he is just a sack of energy. She and Shadow Lass also give Star Boy some grief after he tells them how happy he will be once Dream Girl is no longer leader.

The epilogue was pretty creepy though. I can understand Colossal Boy forgiving Yera for what she did, and maybe deciding to see if there is something to their relationship. Not him though, he is still going to remain married to her. Just came off wrong to me. <shudder>

A terrific issue that moves along quickly, and has some great action scenes. Angry Legionnaires are something to be really feared. The art here was top notch. No complaints whatsoever.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Imiskians is correct!

And man, for such a little guy, Micro Lad is a HUGE dirtbag.

• Micro Lad first appeared in Superboy #212 as one of the Legion of Super Rejects along with Magno Lad, ESPer Lass, Phantom Lad, Chameleon Kid and the almost legendary Calorie Queen.

Imsk's problems with the United Planets was first described in Superboy and the Legion #232 over territory that radioactive space dragons roamed that were connected to the origin of the Imskians' shrinking powers.

Yera's impersonation of Violet started before Chameleon Boy's disastrous spying mission on Khund. Cham was greatly upset about finding out that RJ Brande was his real father and never sensed that another Durlan was near. It was after that that Colossal Boy and "Violet" got closer and they eloped. Their marriage struck me as very similar to the Human Torch marrying Lyja the Skrull who pretended to be Alicia Masters!

Perhaps Gim believed that he fell in love with the "current" Vi who turned out to be Year. Of course, afterwards Violet confronted Yera, semi-forgave her and said that she would pummel her to paste if she ever imitated her again! So much for Gim's fantasy nights!

And don't get me started on Duplicate Boy and his pettiness!

After this, Micro Lad, ESPer Lass and Magno Boy joined the Legion of Super Villains in Legion of Super Heroes (third series) #1-5 and a Braal/Imsk war was a big part of the backstory of Legion of Super Heroes (fourth series).

Besides this, I got nothing!

• Loved this issue. The Legion was in it's glory days here. Tighr plots great characterisations and the art was the best it ever got!!
This reply was deleted.