Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 96845

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Broons  was a comic strip published in the weekly Scottish newspaper The Sunday Post. It features the Brown family, who live in a tenement flat at 10 Glebe Street in the fictional Scottish town of Auchentogle or Auchenshoogle.

Originally created by writer/editor R. D. Low and artist Dudley D. Watkins, the strip made its first appearance in the issue dated 8 March 1936.

Since its inception, The Broons have had their own biennial, alternating each year with Oor Wullie. No annuals were published during 1943 and 1944 due to paper rationing in World War II but jigsaws were created instead. Starting with the 2015 editions, both titles are now published together annually. (Thanks Wikipedia).

I actually have this comic somewhere, but it's easier to just fltch a copy of the web. Spoiler at end:

It features the second appearance of the Marvel Universe version of Marie Laveau. She didn't look much like her historical inspiration in her early appearances, and doesn't make the cover. The Witch Queen of New Orleans is well-known enough as a name to be a surprise reveal.

So, Groo doesn't approve of gambling?

A striking example of a cover that mimics the design of a playing card from House of Mystery.

Well, this is a bleak checkers scenario. I hope they got off that asteroid, so that Superboy could grow up to be Superman and his Man Friday could be retooled as a member of the Doom Patrol.

A year before the JLA took on the New Royal Flush Gang, they battled the group's originator, Professor Amos Fortune, and his Tarot Cards of Doom!

Interestingly, in Britain, checkers is called draughts.  This threw me at the beginning of the month, as I wasn't sure how to find a cover with "checkers" on, as I didn't know what "checkers" was.  Now I do. Wonder why the game has two totally different names, either side of the pond?

Here's a "Draughts" cover from Britain.

Steve W said:

Interestingly, in Britain, checkers is called draughts.  This threw me at the beginning of the month, as I wasn't sure how to find a cover with "checkers" on, as I didn't know what "checkers" was.  Now I do. Wonder why the game has two totally different names, either side of the pond?

We had a bit of a discussion about differing names for games over on the "Three of a Kind" thread (starting here).  The game called "Draughts" in the UK is, as you say, "Checkers" in the US.  Other corresponding names are:  "Cluedo" (UK) versus "Clue" (US);  "Snakes and Ladders" vs "Chutes and Ladders"; "Ludo" vs "Parcheesi".

Incidentally, I've been counting what sorts of games are represented on the covers we've had so far this month.  My reckoning is:

• Playing cards - 59 (most of these covers don't depict a specific type of game, just cards in general)
  • Chess - 25 (including a check tablecloth with no actual game pieces)
  • Tarot (or similar) cards - 7
  • Checkers and draughts - 7
  • Roulette - 2 (plus a roulette wheel on a cover showing lots of playing cards)
  • Dice - 2
  • Monopoly - 1

Here's another "Tarot" cover.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service