Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 110857

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I'm puzzled though: if this is "The Answer at Last!", what is the question?"

"Who is Donald Blake?"

(Thor is seeking the secret to his origin.)

Thanks for explaining that, Jeff.  I was aware that Thor's later appearances, where he has always been the thunder god of mythology, don't appear to match with his origin as the human Don Blake.  Since I've never been much of a reader of Marvel, I didn't know when (or even if) this apparent discrepancy had been addressed.  TIL!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I'm puzzled though: if this is "The Answer at Last!", what is the question?"

"Who is Donald Blake?"

(Thor is seeking the secret to his origin.)

Oh, in that case, I will further explain that "Donald Blake" was a construct created by Odin to teach his headstrong son humility. 

"Captain, this is highly illogical! Somehow the Enterprise has been grabbed in space by a giant making vroom-vroom noises! Commencing to look on in disapproval!"

This was so well done that it didn't invalidate any earlier stories.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Oh, in that case, I will further explain that "Donald Blake" was a construct created by Odin to teach his headstrong son humility. 

Another green giant

Ok, here goes.  

1. It's a Giant issue

2. It features The Spectre, who, we've already agreed during this month, is a giant.

3. It features Congorilla, who sure looks like a giant to me.

JD DeLuzio said:

Now class, who can name at least three ways this cover qualifies for November's theme?

Adam Strange succeeded in subverting the title of 'Strange Adventures' for a good many issues. 

I loved Adam Strange at the time; I don't know why. Generally, in the late 60s I was a big superhero fan, and not a big sci-fi fan. Yet there was something that appealed to me about this man - this man who had to jet around Earth in order to connect with the teleport beam that he knew would strike a given point on Earth at a given time, to transport him to his beloved Rann. I loved the character so much that, in the mid 2000's, when it became obvious to me that to participate in social media (MySpace, Bebo, eBay Groups and Yahoo Answers) it was necessary to adopt a pseudonym, I immediately chose the name "Adam Strange".  Funny world, isn't it!

Steve W said:

Adam Strange succeeded in subverting the title of 'Strange Adventures' for a good many issues. 

I loved Adam Strange at the time; I don't know why. Generally, in the late 60s I was a big superhero fan, and not a big sci-fi fan. Yet there was something that appealed to me about this man - this man who had to jet around Earth in order to connect with the teleport beam that he knew would strike a given point on Earth at a given time, to transport him to his beloved Rann. I loved the character so much that, in the mid 2000's, when it became obvious to me that to participate in social media (MySpace, Bebo, eBay Groups and Yahoo Answers) it was necessary to adopt a pseudonym, I immediately chose the name "Adam Strange".  Funny world, isn't it!

A strange world, one might say.

Did they ever explain his connection to Stephen?

The story represented by that [Adam] Strange Adventures cover is a reprint from Mystery in Space.  And look - it's another giant doppelganger turning up early for January!

And, concerning reasons why Weird Secret Origins qualified for this month's theme, I'd note that there seems to be some form of giant behind the Enchantress.

The relative sizes are so inconsistent here that I'm not 100% certain that even is a giant:

Also, would you carry your knife like that? I don't think I'd carry my knife like that.

While this comic, despite being a Giant-sized Titans, does not feature an actual giant. However, the angle and perspective certainly make Starfire look like one:

(and Beast Boy's looking large in the lower right-hand corner)

That one reminded me of this...

...which reminded me of this...

...which remonded me of this:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service