Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So many good Tower covers to select from

Arthur Adams has been under-represented so far this month.

The first issue of Captain America I had was #176 (Au'74). I never saw the Falcon NOT being able to fly and I never saw the Secret Empire issues. Such a dramatic cover with Thor and Iron Man, to boot!

The third appearance of the JLA.

A great cover introducing Professor Ivo and Amazo, who have been referenced many times over the years.

I left off my alphabetical listing with the letter "I".

I would like to conclude* with the cover to my first issue of Iron Man.

*(Yes, I realize that there are more than nine letters in the alphabet.)

Here's two of a more recent vintage that I like.

When I first saw the cover to Detective Comics #1006, I thought DC was somehow incorporating the TV Oliver Queen post TV Crisis On Infinite Earths into print continuity.

Okay, I'm man enough to admit I was wrong about that.

The cover to the conclusion in Detective 1007 "speaks" for itself.

Both covers are by issue interior artist Kyle Hotz. Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.

I think you're right, Richard.  Pity, I liked my hypothesis.  Oh, well! :-(

Richard Willis said:

Peter Wrexham said:

Notice the amazingly understated way in which the JLA's appearance is announced on the cover, seemingly almost as an afterthought. I wonder if this could be an example of cover art being produced before the story is written? In such a case, the production department might have been able to modify the cover copy to mention the JLA, but not make any changes to the finished art.

I think they pretty much intended for the JLA to appear in the story because Kanjar Ro (the other guy on the cover) had previously only appeared in the JLA book.

Before the various sword-and-sorcery comics (Stalker, Claw, Starfire) that I've already posted, DC made an earlier foray into the genre with the character of Nightmaster.  He got a three-issue run in Showcase, starting with #82, May 1969.  I enjoyed it, but it appears not to have been a big success.  After the third issue, apart from a few tiny cameo appearances, the character vanished for a quarter of a century.

I've not seen any of his later appearances, but I gather from the GCD, he appeared a few times in the mid-1990s, before resurfacing in Day of Vengeance (2005) and Shadowpact (2006).  He has appeared in various places intermittently ever since.

My dad was a kid in the 1930s and early 1940s, and a fan of the Tarzan films. He and his friends would get up early on Saturday and walk along the tracks to find coal/coke that had dropped out of the cars. They would sell it in the neighbourhood and they'd use the money to go to the movies. Although not a comic reader, he bought us comics before road trips, and he would always include Tarzan (and Turok-- more on that later). He would read those ones when it was mom's turn to drive. This adaptation left a strong impression on me, and I found a copy of it years later and bought it:

In the 60s I was up for any new superhero comic (there really weren’t as many as we “remember”— a case of history being written by the “victors”— there were tons of comics in other genres).  My parents assured me that this really wasn’t the Captain Marvel, or Plastic Man, that they remembered.

I happened to get this one without realizing (despite the blurb of the cover) that it was the beginning of a new series. 

In a strange yet bizarre coincidence, when I found this one, it was my favorite Legion story from their Late Adventure period though at the time, I had no idea it was their last issue!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service