Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 105935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe Wolverine isn't the best choice for a babysitter!

(Now if he ditched the cigar...)

Looks like they did it again a few years later.

JD DeLuzio said:

A siren! Holy Good Thinking, Robin! Just in case the crowd doesn't see him coming.

Also, it appears Robin has gained a bit of size here, as well.

These are pretty lame bad guys if a Bat-Baby scares them.

Richard Willis said:

These are pretty lame bad guys if a Bat-Baby scares them.

And a pretty slow news year if that was the Story of the Year!

The Flash has body problems

The famous "feeling I'm being turned into a puppet" cover

The swelled head cover

the shared you-know-what cover

You know, pretty much everything is wrong with this cover. First of all, Archie's version of the Shadow, after the first issue, was denuded of everything that made the Shadow memorable and turned into this dopey, derivative superhero. And while I try to keep some perspective, it's clear that the artist couldn't. Either the Shadow is huge, or Khan and Margot Lane are both unusually small. And what is that thing behind the Shadow? Has he upended the world's tiniest table? Are those malt shop mixing glasses falling up off the table? Attila the Hunter, meanwhile, looks ready to demonstrate why wide horns on your faux Viking helmet would be a terrible idea in real life. Also, notice the curtains, window, and... is that a radiator?... on the right. Khan has apparently hidden his Secret Laboratory in his living room. The only one excited about this scenario is that one switch in the background, just above the moon and the pan flute.

“Now, Prof. Hugo, I know that right now it feels like you’ve made the big time, being a member of Batman’s rogues gallery and all.  Up there with the Joker and Penguin, but don’t get a swelled head over this; it could all change in an instant.  For all you know you could end up being a recurring villain for some second stringer, oh, say J’onn J’onzz.  Time will tell.”

More problems with perspective...

Is that a really tiny skyscraper?  Or has the dinosaur got an incredibly long neck with a head far too small for its body?  Why has it turned its head upside down for Hawkman to punch it?  Why does Hawkman (who is neither super strong nor invulnerable) think that the best way to handle a critter with a head almost as big as our hero's body is to give it an uppercut?  At least try hitting it with one of your armory of ancient weapons, Katar!

Honestly, I quite like Dick Dillin's artwork - it was never in the top flight (no pun intended!), but was usually serviceable.  However, this cover is just dreadful!

So, you're a crook with a gun. You stand there waiting for Batman to set up this huge slingshot. You either shoot multiple times and miss every time or you're a criminal who is a very good sport and waits.

We know these are superhuman bikers, since they can not only knock down the Man of Steel, they are perfectly comfortable leaping into the air at great height using a track designed for that express purpose, and which does not appear wide enough to support any of the trikes being used by some of the riders.

On a more positive note, we have the Newsboy Legion. It's great to see heroes who fill in those small niche needs, like providing people with a mobile place to pee.

Further proof that Kirby, brilliant though he was, did not entirely end Jimmy Olsen's reign of cover lunacy.

Another monster that raises some questions of proportion and perspective.  It’s head is about the size of the raft but its tail is as big around as a submarine, which seems to be only a foot or two distant from the raft.

It seems that here in the “A Cover a Day” pocket universe in the Captain Comics multiverse that we have a birthday.

Happy Birthday Steve!

Steve W said:

@Dave Palmer

and so as not to upset the balance between England and France, here is a cover (I assume) for England (Peter, it’s a few days off from my 21st birthday, the 10th, but close; no matter where I am in the world I never have to think about how to write my birthday, it’s always 10/10).

Dave, I gather from that, that your 21st was on 10th October 1979, which is quite incredible because I was 21 just 21 days earlier, on 19th september 1979.  Peter has already revealed that he is five years older. Therefore I can only deduce that only men of a certain age are drawn to this thread!  Perhaps Philip and Jeff are much younger.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service