Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 117772

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A 1961 version of a 50s movie. An astronaut crashes into an invisible asteroid, shrinks to the size of the inhabitants and meets pretty alien women.

From 1956

From 1958

Here are two "Movies" covers to remind us of the themes for the next two months.

In March, it's "Cats" (and cat-themed adventurers):

In April, it's "Dogs" (and, I guess, dog-themed adventurers - though I suspect that there are far fewer of those than there are for the cats).

Also, is it time yet to give a bit of thought to May?  Of the various suggestions we've had, I'm still quite keen on "Big Guns" (characters wielding implausibly large armaments), or "Self-Aware Covers" (an extension of the original "Logos into the Act" suggestion).  Anyone else?

The first Disney movie star to be featured in Dell's Four Color Comics was Bambi and apparently Thumper was a draw too!

Let’s see, Batman

And a cover about movie making

Peter, I love the idea for May of "Big Guns". My vote goes for this option. Anyone else care to comment?

And to see out February, I still have covers left. Here's two.

It becomes really clear that he's a fake Superman when his head leaves his body.

This mostly forgotten but serviceable Disney kids' film has a retroactively interesting cast. Johnny Whitaker, Family Affair's Jody, plays opposite Jodie Foster in her first big-screen role. Michael Douglas turns up as the helpful long-haired youth who provides an historical context otherwise largely absent from the film (it could have been made ten or twenty years earlier), while Will Geer and Ellen Corby appear onscreen together as, respectively, Napoleon's grandfather and Samantha's busybody neighbour, minutes before achieving 70s family programming cult status as Grandpa and Grandma Walton.

Apparently, the big cat was a one-time MGM logo lion.

Portions of my commentary are swiped from a review I wrote of the film a long time ago.

"Johnny Whitaker... plays opposite Jodie Foster in her first big-screen role."

I have the made-for-TV musical of Tom Sawyer starring those two on VHS. I saw it on TV when I was in elementary school and learned the songs. My best friend never saw it, but took chorus in junior high the year they sung songs from it. Bob and I (different Bob) used to think musicals were stupid... people just breaking out in song. (We took them literally.) To prove it, we would sing "The River runs Warm in the Summer Sun" and "Freebootin'" while we would play in the river (the Missouri, not the Mississippi). 

That version of Tom Sawyer was released a year later, followed by a Huckleberry Finn sequel that apparently was plagued with problems. Was it made for TV in the U.S.? I saw it in the theatre in Canada, and it was nominated for some academy awards (music, production design, costumes), which suggests it was released theatrically. Another, strictly made-for-TV version appeared the same year with Josh Albee as Tom, and that might cause some confusion (curiously, that version was filmed in Canada). On the other hand, some American made-for-TV films saw theatrical release in other countries during the 1970s.

"Was it made for TV in the U.S.?"

That's the way I remember it. I could be mistaken. 

Freebootin', freebootin'

Kickin' up our feet in the sand

Freebootin', freebootin'

Livin' off the fat of the land

Got no doors to shut us in

We got no ties that bind

Rollin' down the road to sin

Without no never mind

Like a big fat cow a-chewin' on her cud

Like a cat fish grubbin' In the bottom of the mud

We're happy as a coot and we don't give a hoot

Ain't life fine?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service