Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 109823

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here are my three covers for today, a selection of foreign-language Moons.

French:

Norwegian:

Danish:

I should have mentioned his scuba tank and belt-knife.

Richard Willis said:

Peter Wrexham said:

There seems to be a bit of confusion about when we're doing "Vampires and Werewolves" - Philip mentioned August and Richard mentioned July.

I was confused twice. I accidentally typed July when I thought we were talking about August, which we weren't.

Since covers not infrequently get repeated within a month, it's probably a bit optimistic to think that *don't repeat V&W covers that were posted in June" would work to keep October's covers fresh.  I'll probably just try and avoid V&W covers that also display the Moon as a way of preventing re-posts from June, though others may work in different ways.

I agree that trying to avoid covers with moons should keep us from duplicating June covers. We probably shouldn't ban moon covers, though.

I'd suggest a slight modification to Philip's rule 1 (listing various titles to avoid).  How about, "try not to post a cover from a series where the protagonist is a V/W unless there's another V/W also shown, or the cover is particularly noteworthy in some way".  Also, are we okay with adding Frankenstein's monster, mummies etc into the mix, or do we save them for another October?

This is probably a good rule but seems too complicated to me. I would just say "no covers from a series where the V/W is the protagonist" and leave it at that. I think we will still be able to fill the month with V/W covers without including other horror characters. Save them for the future.

Peter Wrexham said:

• September - MST3K (and some time we need to clarify exactly what that means!)

Basically, we find a cover,  one with elements that don't quite work, or can be misinterpreted, or invite mockery, and post smart-ass commentary, a la MST3K or every  kid who has ever watched a cheesy old SF movie. I'm too tired to do much with these particular moon covers, though I suppose the first one might be accompanied by a chorus of "It's Raining Men," and the second might be accompanied by commentary on the obliviousness of the pilot, the fact that the props crew couldn't be bothered with glass in the windows, or how objects in the rear view mirror may be closer than they appear. Then there's the "green cheese" angle or whatever you could do by pretending the horror-host in the corner is part of the larger illustration. Think of the range of oddball covers or covers that elicit humorous responses, and I think we can fill a month with some genuinely amusing observations. I suspect that goofy Silver Age covers and self-seriously grim 90s covers could each easily fill such a month.

A double dose of Supernatural Thrillers!

Prehistoric apes!

Oh, wait, that was last September.  Prehistoric Moon!

At least, I assume it's the Moon, not the Sun.  There have been quite a few covers this month where it's not entirely clear which was intended.  You'd probably have to read the issue to be sure.

It's been a long time since we've seen Green Arrow by moonlight.  Here he is again, with J'onn J'onzz.

Ok, I was out last night (socially distancing, of course) but back now and have just caught up on the latest.

So, let me get this clear:

No posting werewolves or wolves, if the cover also includes a moon, in July, August or October.

Don't post more than 3 covers a day.

September's covers need to be covers that don't stand up to any serious scrutiny (That gives me the whole of the DC silver-age to go at!)

Post number 3 on page 833 of this thread is going to be a big-un!

Hey, guys - not too many rules please - I'll be 62 in 2 months time and have trouble finding my laptop, never mind remembering which covers I've posted!

(Only kidding - loving the whole debate). Let's keep this show on the road!

Not a cover, but I don’t think our moon month would be complete without

Two from Secrets of Sinister House 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service