In the recent Joker/Daffy Duck comic (Side Note: The latest batch of DC/WB crossovers are neither especially good or especially bad), there's a scene in which the Joker kills the patrons of a comedy club and has his gang take their stuff (Another Side Note: Who in the Blue Hell would go to a comedy club in Gotham City? That's just asking for trouble!), and this scene inspired in me a sudden realization.

Now, I'll say up front that I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this realization (or the tenth, or the hundredth, or the thousandth...), it's just something that I never really thought about all that much before.

Anyway, the great realization was this:  

There's no (expletive gerund omitted) way that someone wouldn't have killed the Joker by now.  Victim's grieving relative, vigilante, fed-up cop, "accident in the cells", a villain who's sick of the Joker's crap - someone would have wasted him by now.   I can no longer sustain my suspension of disbelief as regards this character.

Views: 1806

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is it me, or are all the Green Lantern Corps members from Earth all from the USA?  Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Charlie Vickers, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz - even Jo Mullein seems to be from the US.

And the same for the various forerunner GLs from Earth shown in Green Lantern Quarterly. Good point.

Fraser

The Baron said:

Is it me, or are all the Green Lantern Corps members from Earth all from the USA?  Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Charlie Vickers, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz - even Jo Mullein seems to be from the US.

.....and Hal Jordan was always touted as the "greatest Green Lantern" of the entire Corps.

Re. p.5, fairly often the pronunciations of ancient names in entertainment aren't "ancient world correct". I think Orpheus, Zeus, Theseus and Prometheus properly rhyme with Zeus. C's in Latin were hard, and the c's in our received transliterations of Greek names represent Greek kappas, but we tend to instinctively pronounce them as s's. And so on.

Wikipedia tells me the y in "Hippolyta" represents a Gk. upsilon. Apparently the name is the female equivalent of Hippolytos, "unleasher of horses". Hippos = "horse", hence hippopotamus ("river horse"), hippodrome ("horse racecourse"), and Philippos ("fond of horses"), which last = Philip.

So, "Kaiser" is a pretty good pronunciation of "Caesar".

Yes. Wikipedia's page on Julius Caesar has the pronunciation info

"/ˈsiːzər/ SEE-zər, Latin: [ˈɡaːɪ.ʊs ˈjuːlɪ.ʊs ˈkae̯sar]"

"/ˈsiːzər/" is our English pronunciation in the phonetic alphabet. "SEE-zər" is a representation of how that sounds for people who don't know it (which includes me). And the last bit is the Latin pronunciation of his full name in the phonetic alphabet.

His first name was Gaius. Julius is his family name, Caesar indicates the family branch. When I briefly did Latin way back when the instructor said there weren't many Roman personal names, so they're often given by an initial. One might see "G. Julius Caesar". Wikipedia tells me his name was the same as his father's.

In Mark Anthony's case Mark was his first name. Mark Antony = Marcus Antonius.

I arbitrarily decided that my Latin name would be "Durnovarius" because I was born in Dorchester.

You know, the more I think about the original purpose of this post, the more I think about a parent who is trying to defend their horribly behaved child. That's what Batman is to the Joker.

"No! He's misunderstood! Now, Joker, that's not how we make friends. Remember the therapist yesterday?"

Joker guns down three dozen people. Starts to turn gun on himself.

Batman: "No, Joker! Life is precious. Even yours. ESPECIALLY yours. Just...put the gun down."

Joker picks up knife and begins stabbing people. Someone tries to stop him.

Batman: "NO! STOP! Can't you see? He is expressing himself. Can you seriously not just put up with a little stabbing? How insensitive of you! Now, Joker? Come on. It hurts people when you stab them. They don't like that."

Joker laughs hysterically. Begins hitting Robin with crowbar.

Batman: "Robin, do not fight back. It's only going to encourage him. Joker, please stop. Robin doesn't like that."

Robin dies.

Batman: "Okay...guys? Come on. Let's not get too hasty here. Stop. Do NOT put handcuffs on him! He's trying to...Joker, stop now. Okay?"

Batman hits all of the cops with a batarang, picks up the Joker and takes off in his Batmobile, gently telling him that Robin forgives him, but wishes Joker hadn't killed him.

Brilliant. May I quote this elsewhere? A friend of mine was just discussing on Atomic Junkshop how sick he is of homicidal Joker

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

You know, the more I think about the original purpose of this post, the more I think about a parent who is trying to defend their horribly behaved child. That's what Batman is to the Joker.

"No! He's misunderstood! Now, Joker, that's not how we make friends. Remember the therapist yesterday?"

Joker guns down three dozen people. Starts to turn gun on himself.

Batman: "No, Joker! Life is precious. Even yours. ESPECIALLY yours. Just...put the gun down."

Joker picks up knife and begins stabbing people. Someone tries to stop him.

Batman: "NO! STOP! Can't you see? He is expressing himself. Can you seriously not just put up with a little stabbing? How insensitive of you! Now, Joker? Come on. It hurts people when you stab them. They don't like that."

Joker laughs hysterically. Begins hitting Robin with crowbar.

Batman: "Robin, do not fight back. It's only going to encourage him. Joker, please stop. Robin doesn't like that."

Robin dies.

Batman: "Okay...guys? Come on. Let's not get too hasty here. Stop. Do NOT put handcuffs on him! He's trying to...Joker, stop now. Okay?"

Batman hits all of the cops with a batarang, picks up the Joker and takes off in his Batmobile, gently telling him that Robin forgives him, but wishes Joker hadn't killed him.

Ha! Absolutely.

Cool. In comments here: http://atomicjunkshop.com/grendels-mother-or-the-problem-of-perpetu...

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Ha! Absolutely.

The Baron said:

Well, there's this guy...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service