"All in the Family / Good Times" Live on ABC - Dec 18

Next Wednesday ABC will present two classic episodes of "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons" on live television. The casts will be new, but not a word of the scripts will be changed in order to show how these same topics are still relevant decades later.

LINK

I'm really looking forward to this.

Views: 856

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kevin Hart as (oh please oh please) Arnold would just maybe convince me to watch that.

ClarkKent_DC said:

There will be another go-round of Live In Front of a Studio Audience. However, I'm not getting my wish to see a recreation of Barney Miller. 

They only seem to be doing Norman Lear shows. I'd also like to see one on Barney Miller, but it wasn't a Lear show.

They are doing an episode of Diff'rent Strokes and an episode of spinoff The Facts of Life. And the casting is oddball: instead of getting kid actors to play Willis and Arnold, they've got ... Kevin Hart and Damon Wayans? 

No casting announced for The Facts of Life half of this. 

I don't have a great feeling about this one.

It will either be brilliant or a disaster. Based upon what they did with linked episodes in the All in the Family/Jeffersons show, I suspect they will be using the first episode of The Facts of Life, which included the characters from Diff'rent Strokes. I'm not familiar with Ann Dowd, who will be playing Mrs Garrett, but she has a versatile resume. Two more observations: (1) John Lithgow can play Mr Drummond as either goofy or as a serial killer. (2) Kevin Hart is almost the right height for Arnold.

ClarkKent_DC said:

There will be another go-round of Live In Front of a Studio Audience.  However, I'm not getting my wish to see a recreation of Barney Miller.

Richard Willis said:

They only seem to be doing Norman Lear shows. I'd also like to see one on Barney Miller, but it wasn't a Lear show.

Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life aren't Norman Lear shows.

ClarkKent_DC said:

They are doing an episode of Diff'rent Strokes and an episode of spinoff The Facts of Life. And the casting is oddball: instead of getting kid actors to play Willis and Arnold, they've got ... Kevin Hart and Damon Wayans? 

No casting announced for The Facts of Life half of this.

I don't have a great feeling about this one.

Richard Willis said:

It will either be brilliant or a disaster.

Here's hoping for the former.

Richard Willis said:

Based upon what they did with linked episodes in the All in the Family/Jeffersons show, I suspect they will be using the first episode of The Facts of Life, which included the characters from Diff'rent Strokes. I'm not familiar with Ann Dowd, who will be playing Mrs Garrett, but she has a versatile resume.

Yeah, that figures. 

I've never even seen any of the first season episodes, but from what I understand, The Facts of Life really found its footing in its second season, after it pared the cast down to five: Mrs. Garrett, Jo, Blair, Tootie and Natalie, and finessed a way for the girls to be more directly under Ms. Garrett's care. That gave more room for each character to grow, and what made it as fondly remembered as it is (among those who do remember it). 

Re-creating the pilot episode of The Facts of Life wouldn't reflect what the show became and certainly wouldn't show off one of its better episodes.

Richard Willis said:

Two more observations: (1) John Lithgow can play Mr Drummond as either goofy or as a serial killer. (2) Kevin Hart is almost the right height for Arnold.

Re: John Lithgow: That could be interesting ...

Re: Kevin Hart -- A complaint about stunt casting would be out of place given the whole entire thing is a stunt, but ... nah, I won't say it. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life aren't Norman Lear shows.

Oops! I thought I was being careful before making that statement.

I'm glad that they didn't pick any Norman Lear shows this go-round. Norman Lear is celebrated as a ground-breaking TV producer, but I find too many of his shows are full of people yelling at each other.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service