AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. “Once More With…”
There are some interesting threads on this forum, already, covering issues of Marvel’s early series – ‘re-reading’’ of the Avengers and Journey into Mystery/Thor and so on and there was quite a good issue by issue thread on the Invaders around too, until it caught up with the present.
What is more rarely discussed are the later periods when these series were in full flow and while perhaps less iconic still number among them some classics… The examination of the Avengers from #101 onwards gets a credit here.
I therefore present to you an issue by issue critique/discussion forum for one of these mainstay Marvel titles.
Not beginning at the very debut – as others have that covered well – but (and I hope I don’t step on anyone’s creative toes here!) – I would like to pick up the Amazing Spider-Man title after a watershed/bookend issue provided an opportune point at which to begin …
Issue #50 featured that classic moment in Peter Parker’s life when he first thought he couldn’t go on and yet eventually realised he just couldn’t possibly give up being Spidey.
“Spider-Man No More!” draws breath for the title before it races on into it’s next phase – less discussed than the Ditko issues and the early Romita ‘End of the Green Goblin’ stuff the next issue builds on those early foundations and catapults our hero and the title to the second half of it’s first century of publishing and its next phase of greatness…
So, after “Spider-Man No-More!”
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN . “Once More With…”
…”With feeling…!”
Or…
…”With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility…!”
Or…
…”With in-depth discussion and critique…..
Or…
…”With #51 (08/67)…..

Come back soon……

Views: 14209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I only started collecting ASM regularly with issue #120, just one issue before Gwen Stacy was killed off -- entirely coincidental and mainly having to do with my getting a regular allowance and finding a good place to purchase comics.  ASM & the Fantastic Four were the first comics I started getting regularly every month, my first selections whenever I saw new issues on the spinner rack.  Anyhow, I had just enough previous issues of ASM to know how important a character Gwen was so even as a relative newbie I understood the shock value of her death.  Then there were the LOCs on it in later issues -- from all indications there was massive response from the readership, most of it very negative, although there were at least a few that supported ditching Gwen.  I would hazard a guess that in the history of Marvel Comics, from that first issue of the FF in 1961 and maybe to the present, there was more intense reader response to "The Night Gwen Stay Died" upon its initial publication in 1973 than there has been to any other comic Marvel ever released.  So much response that eventually Stan Lee ordered Gerry Conway to bring her back, although he didn't specify how and didn't require that Gwen become a regular part of Spidey's cast again.  And so this storyline came about.  Gwen certainly wasn't the first main longtime love interest of superhero to be killed off -- Lady Dorma had been killed off in Sub-Mariner about a year earlier, just to name one predecessor.  But of course, Prince Namor's mag didn't have nearly the sales that ASM did and he was a difficult character for many readers to empathize with   By 1973, however, Spider-Man was Marvel's most well-known character and well on his way to becoming as iconic as Superman and BatMan and while Gwen Stacy would never be as well known as Lois Lane, I think for most longtime readers of ASM from the '60s into the early '70s it would have been considered as inconceivable that Gwen would really be killed off as for Lois Lane to be killed off in a story intended to be canon rather than some sort of imaginary yarn.  Gwen's death was shocking enough that many comics fans consider it the true end of the Silver Age of Comics (there are plenty of arguments for the transition point occurring much earlier, such as the Marvel expansion in 1968, although I tend to agree with the argument that it was the month in 1970 when Kirby left Marvel for DC and the first issue of Conan the Barbarian was published; I haven't seen any claims for a later date than the publication of ASM #121 in 1973).  So, yeah, I'd say response to ASM #121 was pretty big at the time.  Of course, within the last couple of decades alternative Gwen Stacys have become more prominent than the original Gwen ever was prior to her death, and there's even a rock band named after her.

Ronald Morgan said:

Don't remember what was going on back then, but #145 was my last issue until after this series was over, and I don't recall missing Gwen much back then. Just how big was her death back in those days, before modern day nostalgia took over?

Ronald Morgan said:

Don't remember what was going on back then, but #145 was my last issue until after this series was over, and I don't recall missing Gwen much back then. Just how big was her death back in those days, before modern day nostalgia took over?

Here are some of the letters they received back then. From ASM #124:

From ASM 125:

Marvel's response in #125:

Much later it came out that it was actually Johnny Romita's idea and that Conway's original suggestion was to kill off Aunt May.  And Stan later claimed he wasn't consulted when Roy approved the plot to kill of Gwen Stacy, although I'd guess that was more Stan's way of calming down angry Marvelites on the lecture circuit rather than giving an honest account of what went down.  Roy had countered that there was no way he would have given the OK for that story without first consulting with Stan and I'm much more inclined to think Roy's version is the more truthful.  

Killing Aunt May would have made it pretty impossible to get rid of Gwen though. But then what exactly is May contributing these days?

My thoughts on -

ASM 144 - I said my piece on Cyclone already, lame villain and he probably suffered the most embarrassing defeat of any Spidey foe to date.  A giant fan?  Really?

This issue is remembered solely for the cover and the shocking last page.  As Mr. Mantle said, Gerry Conway's creative juices were concentrating on the subplot.  I wonder if anyone remembers (then or now) why Jonah ran off to Paris.  Gerry certainly forgot, as the issue was never addressed again.

ASM 145- I really liked how Peter's first response to seeing "Gwen Stacy" was that he was going crazy, but then he talked it out for himself and rejected the idea that she was back from the dead.  It was a clever way to recap the events of the previous issue too.  The Scorpion gave Spidey more trouble than I ever recall him doing before, which I attribute to Peter's head just not being in the game.  Understandable with Aunt May being in the hospital and having to deal with what he believes is a Gwen Stacy imposter running around.  The last page is both ridiculous - verifying fingerprints on a clone, and digging up a grave that quickly (btw, was anyone surprised there were two Gwens, one dead and one alive, instead of an empty grave?) - and also compelling, as this mystery deepens.

The later clone saga used the identical fingerprints bit a few times. Not only did they have the same fingerprints as the original person but when they died they weren't human dead bodies, but puddles of goo.

I guess the Jackal's "cloning" process had little to do with actual cloning.

Science in the M.U. works in remarkably whacky ways.

I say the Watchers (or Beyonders or whoever) have weird senses of humor and like to annoy Earthlings.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service